Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking to turn it into a mx bike or anything. But I like to explore trails that I could not explore in my truck. They are everywhere around me. I have dented the cat already. So I would love to find underbody protection for the engine/exhaust. Also any help on a header that has higher ground clearance. I already plan on ohlins suspension front and rear to firm it up a bit. Anyone have any products to raise it up a bit? I have read almost every post on here I can find with no luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Get in on the MNNTHBX/CARD suspension preorder (waiting to get mine). It'll raise the bike .5" I believe and you get more tunability. Especially if your riding fire roads and light duty trails.

218 Posts
Take a look at this thread I started. http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/12-grom-gear-accessories/8411-triple-tree-raising-suspension-front-rear-1-2-a.html

I am also looking to do the same thing. Its easy to get a longer swingarm and longer shock in the rear to raise up 1-2 inches but then it puts all that pressure on the front with a funky riding position.

I have the rear figured out but where is the company making longer front shocks for the grom? Seriously when the grom came out I thought that would be the number 2 aftermarket upgrade to come out, longer front shocks that can be easily swapped in. They have them for all the toy pit bikes, so why not the grom?

Can any grom aftermarket manufacturers out there reading this just please make some 2 inch longer front forks that swap out quick and easily using the stock triple tree?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Count me as a guarunteed +1 if they are not crazy, crazy money. Maybe we could see how many ppl would show interest in them. I'm sure anyone doing custom machine work would do it much cheaper for 5-10 of them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kitaco doesn't look like it will help a whole lot with protection. It looks like more of a rice part in my opinion. Not downing anyone's taste. Just need something structural.

218 Posts
Count me as a guarunteed +1 if they are not crazy, crazy money. Maybe we could see how many ppl would show interest in them. I'm sure anyone doing custom machine work would do it much cheaper for 5-10 of them.

After doing much thinking I decided to design up a custom triple tree myself and get it CNC'ed here in Taiwan.
Basically if you look at your stock grom triple tree its straight across for the most part.
I am looking to machine a triple tree that accepts the stock shocks but instead of the triple tree being straight across it
kinda horseshoes into a more further down position, about 2 inches for the top and bottom clamp.

The main plus is it gives you clearance in the engine pipe area, the place I want it the most since going off high curbs at
slow speed I'm still scraping.

The only disadvantage of this set-up is it doesn't give you more suspension travel.
I'm ok with the stock travel and just need more under engine clearance so for me this is perfect,
and might worK out great for others.

This might also be much cheaper then buying new longer shocks and can also take advantage of the fact that
you can still upgrade your stocks internal springs with some aftermarket springs.

It will also look nicer having a cnc billet triple tree/anodized triple tree, and will not rust out like the stock steel unit.
I will post up pictures and specs when finished, no idea when that time frame will be.

Offhand does anyone know the main mm specs of the grom triple tree?
I need to know the fork tube clamp diameters and the head tube diameters to enter into Autocad.
I have a feeling that eventually a big company will make this kind of triple tree, actually quite shocked it hasn't been done already
with all the other nonfunctional cnc grom bling out there, I am pretty surprised something that IS FUNCTIONAL and cnc'ed some how got
overlooked/forgotten.

So i'll start on my end and if any big name manufacturers are reading this go ahead and feel free to copy my idea,
then we can see who finishes first and who's is better. LoL

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't wait. Let me know when they are done. I don't care about anodized. Just raw is great. I can powder coat them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
After taking my grom with some of my boyz on their supermoto bikes.....

I have the gazi hyper x shock which worked flawlessly and 20wt oil in the forks. It would bottom out over all of the bumps usually if on braking locking the front tire. Also it was so rough I couldnt speak into my sena.

We really really really need more travel for that kind of riding. I guess that checks the grom off my list of usability.

Freeway > sucks

Goaty tight roads > sucks

Long sweepers > sucks (barely pulls 50mph up the hills if that)

So the only boxes it checks off are:

fuel mileage > check 87mpg

Around tight city riding > check

Teaching the gf how to ride > check

I cant believe nobody has put some nice pit bike forks on the grom. I dont need more clearance I need more uptravel.

·
Banned
489 Posts
After doing much thinking I decided to design up a custom triple tree myself and get it CNC'ed here in Taiwan.
Basically if you look at your stock grom triple tree its straight across for the most part.
I am looking to machine a triple tree that accepts the stock shocks but instead of the triple tree being straight across it
kinda horseshoes into a more further down position, about 2 inches for the top and bottom clamp.

The main plus is it gives you clearance in the engine pipe area, the place I want it the most since going off high curbs at
slow speed I'm still scraping.

The only disadvantage of this set-up is it doesn't give you more suspension travel.
I'm ok with the stock travel and just need more under engine clearance so for me this is perfect,
and might worK out great for others.

This might also be much cheaper then buying new longer shocks and can also take advantage of the fact that
you can still upgrade your stocks internal springs with some aftermarket springs.

It will also look nicer having a cnc billet triple tree/anodized triple tree, and will not rust out like the stock steel unit.
I will post up pictures and specs when finished, no idea when that time frame will be.

Offhand does anyone know the main mm specs of the grom triple tree?
I need to know the fork tube clamp diameters and the head tube diameters to enter into Autocad.
I have a feeling that eventually a big company will make this kind of triple tree, actually quite shocked it hasn't been done already
with all the other nonfunctional cnc grom bling out there, I am pretty surprised something that IS FUNCTIONAL and cnc'ed some how got
overlooked/forgotten.

So i'll start on my end and if any big name manufacturers are reading this go ahead and feel free to copy my idea,
then we can see who finishes first and who's is better. LoL

You need to Look at the MNNTHBX / CARD Full Race Fork Suspension kit. Grom - MNNTHBX A couple people already have them and theres several threads here on the forums about them. It has all of what you are discussing from what i can tell at a glance. He's taking pre-orders, I've got my depo$it in already.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If it were affordable at all I would be on it. Unfortunately. It cost as much as an ohlins kit for my aprilia SXV. So thats not going to happen. I bought some marzocchi usd forks for my old klx 110 for about 750$ and they were fantastic. I think someone should make the grom triple clamps fit crf or klx front ends and let us do the shopping.

218 Posts
If it were affordable at all I would be on it. Unfortunately. It cost as much as an ohlins kit for my aprilia SXV. So thats not going to happen. I bought some marzocchi usd forks for my old klx 110 for about 750$ and they were fantastic. I think someone should make the grom triple clamps fit crf or klx front ends and let us do the shopping.

+1 Good idea, If i'm going through the trouble of making the triple clamps in the first place then why not get the mm specs for the klx forks and swap those in, giving longer travel with added clearance.

It would be very easy to just change the auto cad file to a few mm here and there and offer three sizes depending on fork preference.

I suppose that whats lacking in the grom market, after market triple clamps made for different forks or made to raise up the groms front end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts