Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Grom - Candy Blue ABS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new, not only to Hondas and the Grom, but also to riding in general. I don't have my motorcycle endorsement yet. However, I'm taking a class soon to get it, and I want to buy a Grom.

I stopped by Western Honda in Scottsdale and put down a refundable deposit for the blue ABS model. I am wondering if there's anyone here who lives in the Phoenix area and has worked with them before, and what to expect for typical upcharges. The total out-the-door price, including tax and fees, they gave me was around $4400 (for a $3600 vehicle). Is that normal? I just want to make sure I'm not getting screwed, being completely new to this world.

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to learning how to ride.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,503 Posts
You are getting ripped off, it is called supply and demand. If you don't want it, someone else will. Someone posted less than 4k out the door the other day. Question is, is the bike worth 4400 bucks to you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are getting ripped off, it is called supply and demand. If you don't want it, someone else will. Someone posted less than 4k out the door the other day. Question is, is the bike worth 4400 bucks to you?
Just the taxes alone drive the price to about $4k, so that much can't really be helped. But then there was a "documentation fee" of around $200 and a destination charge or something like that. I understand sales tax is a lot lower in some places, but I was wondering about the additional fees that are tacked on. I'm curious if anyone in the area has experience with other dealerships around here.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,503 Posts
Unfortunately I am a long way from AZ, beautiful place though. I have visited a couple of times. Hiked Tom's Thumb once.

Reactions: AFP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I am a long way from AZ, beautiful place though. I have visited a couple of times. Hiked Tom's Thumb once.
Now is the best time of year to visit... it's a beautiful 115 degrees outside. 😁

·
Registered
250 Posts
Now is the best time of year to visit... it's a beautiful 115 degrees outside. 😁
Ha-ha; I lived in Phoenix (Mesa) many years ago. The water heater was outside on the deck, located in a closet of my condo. I kept the electrical breaker to the heater shut off during the summer and enjoyed warm showers every day.

AFP: Welcome to the forum and I hope you receive your 2022 Grom soon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha-ha; I lived in Phoenix (Mesa) many years ago. The water heater was outside on the deck, located in a closet of my condo. I kept the electrical breaker to the heater shut off during the summer and enjoyed warm showers every day.

AFP: Welcome to the forum and I hope you receive your 2022 Grom soon.
Thank you! I live in Northeast Mesa.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Now that I'm home, I'm looking at the numbers again. There's a $99 "set-up" charge, a $190 freight charge, $130 for license and registration fees (which seems really high to me), $289 for "doc fees" (which again seems pretty high), plus $313 in sales tax. All of this puts the total over $4600, minus the $200 deposit I paid already.

Edit: I'm looking at ADOT's site now and actually $130 for license and registration seems exactly right. So it's mostly the "set-up" and "doc fees" which have me scratching my head a bit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ordered the white SP version, MSRP of $3500. OTD is $4338.45. No discounts. Minnesota.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try being in Houston Texas, at Stubbs they are trying to get 5300.00 out the door on a 22 ABS model.
Well, that's nuts. How do they justify up-charging that much? That's nearly 50% of the initial cost of the vehicle...
On that note, I emailed Nash Powersports here in Mesa, and they quoted me $5146 out the door for the 2022 ABS. So now with some perspective, $4600 doesn't sound so bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, that's nuts. How do they justify up-charging that much? That's nearly 50% of the initial cost of the vehicle...
On that note, I emailed Nash Powersports here in Mesa, and they quoted me $5146 out the door for the 2022 ABS. So now with some perspective, $4600 doesn't sound so bad.
They also tried to pull the oldest trick in the book on me by having an employee walk up behind me while I was dealing with the salesman and ask the salesman if he called back the guy in the other town that was interested in the 22 grom in the back and if he put money down on it. Sleaze balls!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope it collects dust for a long time.
Wow, that is sleazy indeed. I hope you have a lot of other dealership options in town.

With all of that being said, everyone I interacted with at Western Honda was incredibly helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. I explained when I first walked in that I was new to motorcycles and they were very patient answering all of my many questions. Nobody made me feel dumb for asking beginner questions, and nobody pressured me in the slightest. So I guess I can't complain 😂.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, that is sleazy indeed. I hope you have a lot of other dealership options in town.

With all of that being said, everyone I interacted with at Western Honda was incredibly helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. I explained when I first walked in that I was new to motorcycles and they were very patient answering all of my many questions. Nobody made me feel dumb for asking beginner questions, and nobody pressured me in the slightest. So I guess I can't complain 😂.
I already have a deposit down on an SP, but I wanted to try and make a deal on the ABS mode, I offered them 4400.00 they flat denied it.

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
201 Posts
If it was me, and they were trying to gouge me because it's a waiting list, I would just buy a used Grom with low miles and wait untill inventory catches up. Then I would trade it in or sell it privately and apply the money to the new Grom. Or, if you have another bike to ride, wait for a few months until someone finds they need a more powerful bike, trades or sells, buy a 2022 Grom with low miles and let someone else take that initial $$$ hit. I bought my 2014 Grom, 583 miles on the odometer from a Honda dealer for $2,150 out the door. He had a brand new 2019 Grom sitting in the showroom too. When we walked buy it on the way to load up my Grom he asked if I wanted to trade up LOL. Supply and demand worked out for me. Now I did have to do a 5 hour round trip ride but it was worth it to me. Cranked up the tunes and had fun thinking about how much fun I was going to have when I got back home with the grom. I saved a ton of money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts