Honda Grom banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any options yet for a linear steering damper vs. the rotary Scotts or GPR?
Anyone figure out a combo of generic Ohlins damper and brackets that works perhaps?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe composimo was working on one, there's a picture on his site, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. Maybe he will chime in

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
I might do this, get a cheap linear damped of ebay 50bucks and weld up some brackets. Should cost less than 75 dollars all done. It will probably wont function as good as the top mounts, but i cant afford the 300+ price tag..:)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Would you guys mount it up high, like on top of the triple tree similar to the Scotts etc or down low below the lower triple tree and ...... does it make a difference?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you guys mount it up high, like on top of the triple tree similar to the Scotts etc or down low below the lower triple tree and ...... does it make a difference?
Doesn't make a difference. Just has to have clearance stop to stop.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ordered one from eBay. Should be here in couple of weeks ( China)... I am going to mount it on lower tree and make up some brackets , I will probably behave to remote the charcoal canister to make room for the stabilizer , I'll post some pics when I start the install

braap

·
Registered
230 Posts
So you guys want this just for looks? All my years of riding and I just can't see the grom getting head shake at 60... they do look cool tho... brrrrraaapppp

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think it's just for looks. Compared to my big bikes that little front wheel makes the grom all sorts of twitchy on bumpy roads. Maybe I'm just not used to how light the steering is.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Got it mounted. I tried to mount it lower an parallel to the bars but could not get the geometry right for the damper to work...... with it mounted higher and on a slight angle its working perfect.

All scrap materials, i wish i had some square tubing it would look a little better than 1/2 round bar, but with fairings its not that bad...... got lucky i had rox 2" risers so i tapped the riser and installed it as a mount.... total cost 60 bucks...

With the damper set at 12 clicks (out of 24) it feels perfect,
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Suspension part Suspension Auto part Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Tire

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks good! Although I tackle mechanical projects myself, I'm not a welder or much of a fabricator but this gives me hope that a commercial option may be available in the future.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Vehicle wondering if a stabilizer could be mounted like we used to do on the rd350/400 if the airbox was replaced with an intake like the Chimera ....

·
Registered
619 Posts
View attachment 10202 wondering if a stabilizer could be mounted like we used to do on the rd350/400 if the airbox was replaced with an intake like the Chimera ....
That was my original idea ... But with the damper I got, There was not enough throw in the damper for the groms steering angles lock to lock.. with a damper with enough throw it should work really well...and should be w way easier install...

One plus on the top mount is that you can adjust it on the fly... With couple clicks more (16clicks) it felt amazing on the highway. At rev limiter 69mph for miles over bumps it was very plush......

Braap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts