Registered
365 Posts
JC took care of the combo for me.
i couldn't be more happy
friends who's a wheelie guy isn't sure he likes it but he's a stunt

rev happy through all the gears
4th gear has more then what it had before
still need a tuner for the bike but the mod is def for my ride application
once you determine your type of ride application you will know if this mod is for you
I wouldn't use anyone else besides JC either
can i get a review from the stunter? i wheelie A LOT but i also like to ride. by no means is my grom a stunt bike but if someone who wheelies doesn't like it, it may affect my decision.

·
Registered
964 Posts
can i get a review from the stunter? i wheelie A LOT but i also like to ride. by no means is my grom a stunt bike but if someone who wheelies doesn't like it, it may affect my decision.
I'll get him to reply on my phone. He's isn't on forums. Honestly I think he needs to ride it more to make that decision.
IMO he's just not used to it.
go ahead bro, just do it...like ✔

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Here are the results and Pricing.

Pricing Spinner Alone $55.00
Spinner with No Core $105.00
Spinner and Flywheel $105.00 (this is with you sending in your cores) 1 Day Turnaround

Stock Oil Spinner - 1030 grams
Lightened Oil Spinner - 530 grams

Flywheel removes 300 grams (for those that had a Ruckus the lightened flywheel removed 180 grams)

Total removed with both lightened 800 grams, quite a bit of rotating weight off the crankshaft.
I personally feel like the crank will have no issues being that is it supported by 3 bearings instead of the normal 2, so that's why I removed more than the flywheel's amount of weight.
The oil spinner will still filter and function completely like normal as this doesn't affect anything but the weight.

On another note, my Grom at 300 miles had a ton of crud in the spinner from break in. I recommend that everyone remove the spinner and give it a good cleaning as early as possible. It definitely wont hurt anything. The gasket was fine as well without having to change it.

You will also need the correct tool to remove the spinner nut. I will have them available soon as well.

Ride Report:
First off a little info I weigh about 210. My Grom has the following mods: Tyga full carbon exhaust and airbox mod other than that the engine is bone stock and the chain and sprockets are still stock.

Before Lightening the flywheel and the oil spinner my max speed was 60-61 sitting up in normal riding position and 64 tucked.
Today I went take a ride with the only changes were the lightened flywheel and the lightened oil spinner.
To me I didn't notice it being any harder to take off from a dead stop than before, keep in mind the flywheel and spinner still have a decent amount of mass to them so its not like if you were to remove then completely. Anyway, all the gears wind up a lot more quickly than before due to the lighter mass and freeing up the crankshaft quite a bit. If you are in second gear lugging it doing about 20mph or so and roll on the throttle it picks back up quicker than before. The biggest difference I noticed, and it kind of shocked me a little bit, was as I was cruising on one of my normal main highways where I test top speed I was keeping up with traffic. I realized before looking down that I was into the area where the speed limit was 65mph so I looked down and I was doing 64mph now sitting up. So I tuck and hold and end up at 68mph. I wanted to make sure that wind was as little a factor as possible so I found another road and repeated the same results. I have also never been that high in the RPM range in 4th gear before either obviously.
Apparently the removal of all that rotating mass make more of a difference that I would have stated before riding it, but we are talking about 1.75 pounds of rotating mass though. It is definitely freeing up some of the engines power by not having to turn that much more weight over every revolution. I had a 13t, 14t, and a 35t Aluminum sprocket I was planning to install, but now I am going to wait a little longer because I like the way it is working much better with the stock sprockets.
I also won't sit here and say everyone's results will be the exact same as mine but I will almost guarantee you will notice a difference. There will be more reviews other than mine hopefully popping up soon that way you don't have to take my word for it.
Can you give us a update how the lighten of the flywheel and spinner on your Grom is going, do you feel like all around it is a good mod to do on the Grom reason I ask is that I have bought a set of flywheel and spinner that I will be sending you and my main concern is reliability of the mod. I will be doing some long distance riding such as 100 mile plus one way through the back hills of San Jose and I don't want to be stuck some where because either the flywheel or spinner had vibrated loose.

I assume you used blue loctite on the bolt/nut

Thanks for any feed back and I assume I will be mailing my flywheel and spinner to you as soon as I receive it from Babbitts Honda. Is payment done thru PayPal or ?

·
Vendor
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Can you give us a update how the lighten of the flywheel and spinner on your Grom is going, do you feel like all around it is a good mod to do on the Grom reason I ask is that I have bought a set of flywheel and spinner that I will be sending you and my main concern is reliability of the mod. I will be doing some long distance riding such as 100 mile plus one way through the back hills of San Jose and I don't want to be stuck some where because either the flywheel or spinner had vibrated loose.

I assume you used blue loctite on the bolt/nut

Thanks for any feed back and I assume I will be mailing my flywheel and spinner to you as soon as I receive it from Babbitts Honda. Is payment done thru PayPal or ?
Personally, yes I do, especially for the way I ride. I like to be able to accelerate as fast as possible from a stop if needed to get up to cruising speed or just to keep up with traffic.

I have never seen a flywheel come loose as long as it was installed correctly. I would not use Loctite on the nuts, it just going to make them more of a pain to remove later if need be. Honda doesn't use Loctite on them. BUT you do need to torque them correctly, that is what is most critical. Also when installing the flywheel be sure to line up the keyway so that the flywheel slips onto it relatively easily. If you used the correct tool to remove the flywheel this wont be any problem.
As far as vibration goes, these are going to vibrate no more or less than the stock stuff because the stock flywheel is more or less a stamped piece of metal on the outside portion. When I lighten them they end up being more balanced than stock.

When I install mine or other people that bring in theirs for me to install, I use a battery impact. But the only warning I give if you go this route is that you need to me careful not to overtighten the nuts when using one. I use the impacts I have on a daily basis and I know what they are capable of so I know how much to tighten based on that.

Yes I accept paypal when you are ready and just PM me when you are and I'll get you the shipping address.
Or you can order off the website and once the order and payment goes through, an email is sent to you regarding the shipping information on where to send yours.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Personally, yes I do, especially for the way I ride. I like to be able to accelerate as fast as possible from a stop if needed to get up to cruising speed or just to keep up with traffic.

I have never seen a flywheel come loose as long as it was installed correctly. I would not use Loctite on the nuts, it just going to make them more of a pain to remove later if need be. Honda doesn't use Loctite on them. BUT you do need to torque them correctly, that is what is most critical. Also when installing the flywheel be sure to line up the keyway so that the flywheel slips onto it relatively easily. If you used the correct tool to remove the flywheel this wont be any problem.
As far as vibration goes, these are going to vibrate no more or less than the stock stuff because the stock flywheel is more or less a stamped piece of metal on the outside portion. When I lighten them they end up being more balanced than stock.

When I install mine or other people that bring in theirs for me to install, I use a battery impact. But the only warning I give if you go this route is that you need to me careful not to overtighten the nuts when using one. I use the impacts I have on a daily basis and I know what they are capable of so I know how much to tighten based on that.

Yes I accept paypal when you are ready and just PM me when you are and I'll get you the shipping address.
Or you can order off the website and once the order and payment goes through, an email is sent to you regarding the shipping information on where to send yours.
thank you for the info, still waiting for my spinner and flywheel will PM and PayPal you when I get my stuff.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would like to order the flywheel, spinner, and tools then send the cores and tools back once replaced. What will this cost up front and what will be the refund back when returned?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would like to order the flywheel, spinner, and tools then send the cores and tools back once replaced. What will this cost up front and what will be the refund back when returned?
id be game for this also but i dont think this is what they wanna do

·
Vendor
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Actually Yes I do it that way and that's the way a lot of people would rather to do it so they don't have any downtime in riding.

Below are the buy back prices, you would purchase all the items on the website and once you return the tools and your stock parts you will get a refund.

Buy back prices:
Stock flywheel -- $50
Flywheel Puller -- $30

Stock Oil Spinner -- $22
Oil Spinner Tool -- $8

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am not mechanically inclined. Any plans for an instructional video? Or would you recommend a professional do the work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
567 Posts
The price in your thread says 105 but on site is 120. Is there a code to get forum pricing?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just order tools will pull both pieces and send in once pulled.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am not mechanically inclined. Any plans for an instructional video? Or would you recommend a professional do the work?

There are a couple of YouTube videos that will give you the info you need.

·
Vendor
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

You can either watch those You Tube videos, or, bring it to a shop or someone with enough knowledge to change it correctly.
Better to spend a little more money up front to have it installed correctly than to do it incorrectly and have to replace broken parts.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts