·
Vendor
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are the results and Pricing.

New Oil Spinner with No Core $85.00

Stock Oil Spinner - 1030 grams
Lightened Oil Spinner - 530 grams

Flywheel removes 300 grams (for those that had a Ruckus the lightened flywheel removed 180 grams)

Total removed with both lightened 800 grams, quite a bit of rotating weight off the crankshaft.
I personally feel like the crank will have no issues being that is it supported by 3 bearings instead of the normal 2, so that's why I removed more than the flywheel's amount of weight.
The oil spinner will still filter and function completely like normal as this doesn't affect anything but the weight.

On another note, my Grom at 300 miles had a ton of crud in the spinner from break in. I recommend that everyone remove the spinner and give it a good cleaning as early as possible. It definitely wont hurt anything. The gasket was fine as well without having to change it.

You will also need the correct tool to remove the spinner nut. I will have them available soon as well.

Ride Report:
First off a little info I weigh about 210. My Grom has the following mods: Tyga full carbon exhaust and airbox mod other than that the engine is bone stock and the chain and sprockets are still stock.

Before Lightening the flywheel and the oil spinner my max speed was 60-61 sitting up in normal riding position and 64 tucked.
Today I went take a ride with the only changes were the lightened flywheel and the lightened oil spinner.
To me I didn't notice it being any harder to take off from a dead stop than before, keep in mind the flywheel and spinner still have a decent amount of mass to them so its not like if you were to remove then completely. Anyway, all the gears wind up a lot more quickly than before due to the lighter mass and freeing up the crankshaft quite a bit. If you are in second gear lugging it doing about 20mph or so and roll on the throttle it picks back up quicker than before. The biggest difference I noticed, and it kind of shocked me a little bit, was as I was cruising on one of my normal main highways where I test top speed I was keeping up with traffic. I realized before looking down that I was into the area where the speed limit was 65mph so I looked down and I was doing 64mph now sitting up. So I tuck and hold and end up at 68mph. I wanted to make sure that wind was as little a factor as possible so I found another road and repeated the same results. I have also never been that high in the RPM range in 4th gear before either obviously.
Apparently the removal of all that rotating mass make more of a difference that I would have stated before riding it, but we are talking about 1.75 pounds of rotating mass though. It is definitely freeing up some of the engines power by not having to turn that much more weight over every revolution. I had a 13t, 14t, and a 35t Aluminum sprocket I was planning to install, but now I am going to wait a little longer because I like the way it is working much better with the stock sprockets.
I also won't sit here and say everyone's results will be the exact same as mine but I will almost guarantee you will notice a difference. There will be more reviews other than mine hopefully popping up soon that way you don't have to take my word for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
How much do you take off the oil spinner and the flywheel ? Will the loss of weight affect a big bore kit in a negative way. Thanks for any help and info before I order some gaskets. Trying to get all ducks in a row before I start mods. Any suggestions about a heavy duty oil pump ?

Thanks

·
Vendor
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much do you take off the oil spinner and the flywheel ? Will the loss of weight affect a big bore kit in a negative way. Thanks for any help and info before I order some gaskets. Trying to get all ducks in a row before I start mods. Any suggestions about a heavy duty oil pump ?

Thanks
I'll have weights and such soon posted. No, personally I like the lightened flywheels on the big bore pitbikes especially since the pistons are heavier to start with.

The oil pump on the Grom should be more than adequate for most engine mods.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply

·
Registered
386 Posts
28.219 ounces. That is a lot of weight off the crank. How does the low end feel when coming out of a slow turn ? Did the gaskets tear when taking the bike apart ?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interested in the results. Would these potentially help the motor get up into that normally untouched rev range of 4th gear? Lightening up all the moving components = less work on motor... I do so much highway 55-60mph commuting on mine that it'd be nice to get away from 4th being gutless

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wouldnt doubt it if it ends up being the best "seat of the pants" bang for the buck we find. you could buy a $300 controller to gain .14 hp...... lol. but i bet this will feel great across all rpm ranges with noticable improvement everywhere.

when i know "winter" is here, ill be sending mine in. good opportunity to clean the spinner too

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also anxiously waiting others results before pullin the trigger on this.. probably gonna be the best sub $200 mod you can do

Sent from my SPH-L710 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just did this myself, but I only removed 300 grams from the spinner. I'm going to remove some from the flywheel as well. I didn't want to remove quite as much. I am guessing the vibrations induced into the crank are minimized by the weight on the crank so I didn't want to remove quite that much. I am installing a new 4th gear in gearbox so I figured I might as well do this as well. There are companies like TJR that offer this mod on the Honda nice engines so it should work fine on this one as well.

·
Registered
964 Posts
JC took care of the combo for me.
i couldn't be more happy
friends who's a wheelie guy isn't sure he likes it but he's a stunt

rev happy through all the gears
4th gear has more then what it had before
still need a tuner for the bike but the mod is def for my ride application
once you determine your type of ride application you will know if this mod is for you
I wouldn't use anyone else besides JC either

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wouldnt doubt it if it ends up being the best "seat of the pants" bang for the buck we find. you could buy a $300 controller to gain .14 hp...... lol. but i bet this will feel great across all rpm ranges with noticable improvement everywhere.

when i know "winter" is here, ill be sending mine in. good opportunity to clean the spinner too
quit pussy footin around and get the combo done. You can over night parts and enjoy it before your hellish winter arrives
then thank JC later!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts