Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ready anything over in Thailand about those reducing the weight?

I've lightened them on my GET, Z125, and GY6 -- all with great results. Tempted to do it once I take delivery of the Grom.

Any input from those with knowledge on the subject?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any small improvements would be awesome. If it would help me hit 60 @ wot I am in.

Sent from my SGS3 using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
When we are starting out with 8-10 HP (depending on dyno) every little bit helps. Even 1 hp is a 10+% increase in power. I think if we were seeing as little as 12-14 hp on the dyno it would make a huge difference in performance.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If your goal is for a high-ish cruising mph I'd leave it stock, you're going to want that rotating mass in the higher rpms on a windy day, then again it may free up some revs.. Never know til you try and see how it reacts

On a side note: We actually found out locally that a GET does a lot better at getting a more consistent mph (60+) with a stock fly than a lighten one

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lightening the flywheel won't in increase hp and dyno results can be a little deceiving...as the "after" printout will typically show transient dips in power output, with upshifts. It's the engine's rev characteristics that are affected; the change can be huge. What is seen is a visual representation of less stored energy (a flywheel is nothing more than a simple energy storage device); what is felt is the more two-smoke-like/light switch power delivery, as the engine gains and loses revs more rapidly. Like anything else, this is no free lunch, it's a tradeoff.

You'll have to master a very different shift technique and feather the clutch on takeoff. Whether this a good thing is largely a matter of personal preference, until you build an engine for significantly higher revs. With a 10000 -12000rpm+ tune, lightening and balancing the flywheel and oil spinner are necessary if you want the rotating assembly to last. Reducing flywheel effect (the oil spinner acts as a second flywheel and weight should be matched on both ends of the crank) balances well with increased rpm. On a stock engine, especially one tuned for a billiard table flat torque curve - like the MSX/Grom - not so much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a lightened flywheel on my CRF50 with a TB 88 Racehead and it made a lot of difference for snappiness of throttle/engine response. I loved it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts