Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got a license plate frame! Not too exciting, but I made it myself. My mom has a 3D printer and I'm learning to design prints in Inventor, so I made a simple frame that actually fit with my hotbodies FE kit, the turn signals are snug to the plate itself so you can't fit a standard plate frame on it. In hindsight I'd thicken the bottom of the frame to cover the bottom mounting holes but hey it's my first attempt. Also made out of semi-reflective material which is a bonus.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
lexdfox's "wallet friendly" build

Got a license plate frame! Not too exciting, but I made it myself. My mom has a 3D printer and I'm learning to design prints in Inventor, so I made a simple frame that actually fit with my hotbodies FE kit, the turn signals are snug to the plate itself so you can't fit a standard plate frame on it. In hindsight I'd thicken the bottom of the frame to cover the bottom mounting holes but hey it's my first attempt. Also made out of semi-reflective material which is a bonus.
Ha. Exactly how I made my first one. Style wise I mean. I don't have a 3D printer but we work with ABS at work and have a water jet, so programmed one and installed. Looked exactly like that, but in black.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ha. Exactly how I made my first one. Style wise I mean. I don't have a 3D printer but we work with ABS at work and have a water jet, so programmed one and installed. Looked exactly like that, but in black.
Yeah not a terribly complex design. ABS would probably hold up better as well. I used PLA so this is also an experiment to see how well the material holds up to weather and exhaust heat. After 30 min of riding so far I can report all is well! Haha.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the 14T sprocket sorted out, ended up finding a JT sprocket on ebay for cheap. Didn't take pics cause it was a quick job (just imagine a stock sprocket with one missing tooth). Acceleration feels normal now, the stock sprocket felt sluggish unless I went WOT from the start. Easy $12 mod.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got more goodies! These I was really looking forward to. Found a good pair of SS braided brake lines from Hard Racing, the lines are from core moto and nearly everyone was selling them, also on amazon and ebay, but HR had them the cheapest! Was able to custom pick the line color and banjo fittings, went with carbon lines and gold banjo fittings to compliment my potential idea of powdercoating the wheels gold. They look really clean and feel great, much easier to do stoppies now!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Also noticed something after having gone through a whole tank of gas on the 14T sprocket. I know some have said that the smaller sprocket will alter the odometer slightly, and having said that before with the 15T I was getting about 108-110mpg. But this last fuel stop with the 14T I was getting 123! Would a 14T make that much of a difference? Was it that the milage was overestimated or am I really saving fuel by being able to get up to speed quicker?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It saddens me to say, but I think I'm running out of things to add to this build. Went for a long ride after testing the brake lines and this bike is so dialed, I absolutely love it. Probably not gonna add anything for a while and just ride it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ah, who am I kidding, I'm gonna keep finding things to do with this.

Got a speedo correction plug-in from 120clocklabs to fix my overestimation with the 14T sproket. Easy plug and play, only annoying thing was getting access to the speedo since the wiring is wedged behind the charcoal canister.

Also got new handlebars. $30 shipped. They are Tusk offroad minibike bars (in-house brand from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, I get a lot of my dirt bike parts there). My only gripe is that the control length is not as long as stock, its enough but I had previously moved my clutch and brake perches back. Its a few cm lower than stock and ever so slightly wider, everything clears perfectly. I think it makes the profile of the bike much better.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is slowly turning into a not so wallet-friendly build. I caved and ordered the Kitaco clutch cover and while I was in there upgraded to EBC heavy duty springs and a stronger clutch spring plate.

What a pain in my ass getting these things done!

First the oil spinner. Didn't have a holding tool to brake the nut loose, finally jerry rigged a tool out of a bike tire and a cheapo oil filter wrench.

Then after finally getting the spinner off and buttoning everything up I find that the clutch is not engaging and there is zero tension on the clutch cable. Turns out I forgot to put in the plug thing that engages the clutch. F.

So I drain everything and open it up all over again, put the piece into place and re-fill. Clutch is working nicely! Took it around the block and everything was great for a couple minutes until I pull up to a stop light and look down to see my header smoking. F.

In the second attempt to button up the case cover I pinched the gasket and it was leaking oil on the header.

Now I need to pull the cover a third time and replace the gasket. In my defense the gasket that comes with the kit doesn't seem that great, I'll probably just use the stock gasket since it holds well.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
This is slowly turning into a not so wallet-friendly build. I caved and ordered the Kitaco clutch cover and while I was in there upgraded to EBC heavy duty springs and a stronger clutch spring plate.

What a pain in my ass getting these things done!

First the oil spinner. Didn't have a holding tool to brake the nut loose, finally jerry rigged a tool out of a bike tire and a cheapo oil filter wrench.

Then after finally getting the spinner off and buttoning everything up I find that the clutch is not engaging and there is zero tension on the clutch cable. Turns out I forgot to put in the plug thing that engages the clutch. F.

So I drain everything and open it up all over again, put the piece into place and re-fill. Clutch is working nicely! Took it around the block and everything was great for a couple minutes until I pull up to a stop light and look down to see my header smoking. F.

In the second attempt to button up the case cover I pinched the gasket and it was leaking oil on the header.

Now I need to pull the cover a third time and replace the gasket. In my defense the gasket that comes with the kit doesn't seem that great, I'll probably just use the stock gasket since it holds well.
Been there and done that, forgot parts, bolts and nuts, forgot to tighten to torque spec, etc.

Love San Diego, I use to be station on a ship down there at 32 st.
Ran around San Diego a lot esp down at Ocean Beach, use to surf there, also out at the cliffs, black's beach and such. Lots of open space for motorcycle riding.

Have friends who live in Visa and Fall Brook area.

Ride safe

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Haven't updated this in a while...

Made the conversion to an LED headlight. Cycle gear was having a sale on their conversion kit so I jumped on it. I have previously swapped the stock bulb for a brighter/whiter automotive bulb hoping that would give some better visibility. Nope. If anything it was worse because the draw was so great it would dim significantly at idle, people kept thinking I was flashing them if it was start stop type traffic.

The LED kit came with a regulator which on the stock AC current worked for the most part, but I read into it a little more and many people stated that this would wear the light out over time. Also my high beam didn't really work, it kept flickering.

However, I ordered an AC to DC rectifier from Steady Garage and solved that problem in 5 minutes! BUT, now the high beam indicator doesn't light up on the dash. Neutral, the check engine light, and blinker lights all work. Just high beam. I'm not terribly troubled by it but it does seem unusual to me....

Also got the steady garage integrated tail light kit used from a fellow forum member. Love the flashing brake light! I already have an FE kit with turn signals so wasn't going to wire up the integrated ones, but decided why not have 2 rear turn signals?? Kinda looks odd but who cares, hopefully people will be more aware of my lane changes!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice build!
How did you place the heat shield on your MIVV? i've inserted the pins and screwed them in, but the heat shield just wiggles around like crazy.
Does yours do the same too?

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Never had any problems with the LED bulbs that I bought from ebay and installed them in both of my groms and they are still lighting up the day or night riding and I know it is strong enough because I can see people looking in their mirror when I'm splitting lanes in California Northern Calif roads.

I don't even had to mod the AC/DC supplied voltage and used the stock connection.

This is what I bought for LED lights, I even upgraded my 1982 RX7 head lights with these bulbs, bright as heck.
V16 Turbo H4 80W Car LED Headlight Kit Bulb Light High Low Beam 9600LM 6000K

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice build!
How did you place the heat shield on your MIVV? i've inserted the pins and screwed them in, but the heat shield just wiggles around like crazy.
Does yours do the same too?
I actually bought longer bolts for the heatshield, the bolts provided are just too short! Another member mentioned flipping the clips, which I did for a time but got the wiggle with that. Longer bolts solved it for me. I forgot the size,but I found them at Home Depot for less than $1.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Over two years.... maybe I should post an update?

This little grom has gone through a couple of iterations. A year ago I plasti-dipped the shrouds seafoam green. Took forever but I was diligent and did many many coats including primer.

View attachment 2354.JPG

Then this last month the paint job finally came apart. Make no mistake plasti-dip when done right will hold up. My job had multiple coats of primer, multiple coats of color, and multiple coats of gloss clear coat and held up to a number of drops. But it peeled a bit where the bolt hold the shroud so I said fuck it and ordered new plastics. I wanted white anyway and OEM plastics are pretty cheap!

5799.JPG

Many other mods have been done since then that I failed to document, probably because I was so eager to get out there and ride!

- removed the airbox and added a drow sports carbon intake with UNI pod filter
- upgraded to the Koso high flow oil pump, cheap and effective
- EBC carbon brake pads and front disc
- added 428 chain and sprokets (kept the 14T front)
- Added ohlins front springs/dampers and YSS 2 stage rear shock... BEST MOD EVER. Definitely worth the price (roughly $400 total) to get rid of the pogo stick like front end.
- upgraded the battery which took a dump on me last year to a lithium ion, very reliable so far.
- new tires, Michelin power pure but not really a mod, just a necessity.

Other than than I've put over 14,000 miles on it since I bought it new nearly 3 years ago, planning on putting at least another 14,000 miles on it in the future. I intentionally kept the engine stock bore and glad I did, I've had zero issues with this motor despite the miles and sometimes hard riding i put on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Annual update, not much added besides miles! Up to 18,000 miles now, still runs like new!

Latest mods:
Replaced the hotbodies fender eliminator with a MNNTHBX high mount. I liked that the hotbodies had a factory look, but the plastics after a few years got brittle and cracked all over.

MNNTHBX shifter, this made a surprisingly big difference! Wish I got this sooner, took away a lot of the slop in the stock setup and no longer connected to the pegs. At the same time I replaced the clutch because I was missing 3rd gear and in general the gearbox felt sloppy, these two combined made it feel brand new.

Replaced the stock chain adjusters with ND Customz, much easier to adjust.

Ceramic wheel bearings. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on BST carbon wheels but I couldn't justify the $1,500 price tag, even with a $1,200 stimulus check in hands. Even though ceramic bearings are pretty pricey, DO IT. Rolling the bike you can really feel a difference, I thought I hadn't torqued down the axle bolts at first, but it just rolls buttery smooth!

I've also ran this bike with no front fender for a couple years now, never been an issue in southern california. However, in browsing a few sites I saw a "monster style" carbon fiber front fender, might pull the trigger on that because I liked the style of it. I hate the look of the stock fender and also considered cutting the stock one down a bit but haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the update, it prompted me to go back and read your entire thread. Very interesting, glad you are still piling on the miles!
Thanks for reading! I skimmed through myself, interesting to look back and see just how many 'versions' my grom has been. Since yesterday already ordered a couple other things...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Final touches on my quarantine update. My dash section was looking pretty trashed. Years of keys swinging around the handlebars and display had everything looking pretty beat. And as much as I loved having these tusk mini bars, the control length is shorter than stock. These bars were meant for pit bikes without space needed for blinker/horn/headlight switches.

Before:

This is how beat the bar clamps got from keys swinging. My key is now on a mini clip that I can detach and key my house keys in my pocket.

I went with protaper contour bars CR High bend and protaper oversize clamps. I originally avoided these because I thought they would look/feel a little weird because they are so long, but I love the CR High bend and actually have the exact same bars on my supermoto. The clamps were longer than stock and slightly offset, which was good because I could move them up a little bit, I'm tall so any breathing room helps. The clamps were also longer, so I had to add a second washer to each clamp that I could tighten down better.

I don't think I mentioned in previous post but you can see I also got a Q2 quick turn throttle tube, mostly for the fact that its an aluminum tube over the stock plastic tube. This turns very smoothly and takes out the slop.

Also ordered grips, but once again motosport messed up my order, I'm guessing someone else got my grips and DRZ parts because I got someone's OEM honda gaskets....

Here's a comparison to show just how wide these bars are compared to what I had. And if anyone wants these bars, hit me up. I'll send them to you just for the cost of shipping or if you're local free for pickup! Already pre-drilled for the switches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thankfully cyclegear has curbside pickup, so grabbed some grips and put them on yesterday. This thing has never looked cleaner!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts