Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
500 miles after installing my Take 4 valve BBK I noticed the temp sensor was a bit fat and dirty, thought it was a bad sensor seal. Changed seal, cleaned it, checked if everything was torqued down correctly (which it was) and called it good. 300 miles later it was bit fat again, cleaned it and started to pay attention to it. It looks like it's coming from the lower part of the head gasket near the sensor and not the sensor itself. OCD finally decided to take the head off and check the gasket, which looked good. Also checked the head and cylinder, everything is straight and true and flat and nice...
Changed the gasket, buttoned it up and hammered on it for 50 miles and it was all good. Have done a few other hundred miles since and it's a bit oily again...

Taking appart a stock engine there is always a little residue on both head and cylinder that seems to be coming from the head gasket, looks like traces of some kind of sealing material. I do not see this when taking appart the Take kit.

I'm not sure what to do, just be lazy and whip it off every few hundred miles? After all it's working great, it's not like it's really leaking, it's not even dripping... Or try to put a super thin layer of some kind of sealant, don't really like that idea.
Could it be a sign of a SSS (Spaghetti Stud Syndrome)?

It's hard being lazy with OCD! Any advice is welcome. :tennis:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
If you are cooling your Takegawa 4v engine via a external oil cooler are you attaching the oil cooler via the cylinder ports or are you using a Kitaco clutch side cover and attaching the external oil cooler input and external port at that attachment point on the side cover?

There is a slight difference in temperature depending where your external oil cooler is attached.

When I monitor my temps on my Takegawa 181-4v engine there is about a 20F difference from the cylinder and the head, so average my head are at 210-220F and the cylinder is 20F higher and that is all around cruzin at 35-60mph and anything above that the temps go up to 260-270F when going WOT and I have my external oil cooler attached to my Kitaco side cover. I will change my connection point to the cylinder ports for the external oil cooler just to see how much the temp goes up or down.

Most hot Rodders don't polish their intake ports on their heads anymore, they either use a ruff porting or dimple porting, only the exhaust port gets polished to reduce carbon build up on the walls

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K'mon you Know the OCD is going to win lol, Might as well give in now and Check it :crazy:
lol Like I said I already took the head off to check, couldn't find a cause to the leakage. Not sure what to try next. Maybe I'll just buy a nice Yoshimura towel to clean in up once a month...
Engine is sitting on the workbench anyway as I'm playing around with stock bore one this winter, by the way, how far is yours? I'm curious about it.

If you are cooling your Takegawa 4v engine via a external oil cooler are you attaching the oil cooler via the cylinder ports or are you using a Kitaco clutch side cover and attaching the external oil cooler input and external port at that attachment point on the side cover?
Oil cooler goes to the Kitaco cover right now. Might try stock clutch cover with a lightened spinner, if I do the oil cooler will be going to the cylinder.

Most hot Rodders don't polish their intake ports on their heads anymore, they either use a ruff porting or dimple porting, only the exhaust port gets polished to reduce carbon build up on the walls
So should I dimple port the intake or polish the exhaust to fix the head gasket leakage?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
So should I dimple port the intake or polish the exhaust to fix the head gasket leakage?

Get a custom made copper gasket like we used on the older Finbro 183-2v heads that had a thin wall between the cam chain channel and the piston wall.

Good luck

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that what you are using on your Take 4 valve? A custom made gasket?

Still don't get the port and polish thing...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Is that what you are using on your Take 4 valve? A custom made gasket?

Still don't get the port and polish thing...
I looked at DubSolo posting and noticed his port and polish head porting and decided I throw in a little info on what to polish and what not to if you are doing your own head porting on a Takegawa 4v head, just a little extra info for the grom world.

Also use a straight edge to check the flatness of the cylinder top or the head section to make sure they are with in spec, if not do a little machining or lapping to straighten out the surface.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Engine is sitting on the workbench anyway as I'm playing around with stock bore one this winter, by the way, how far is yours? I'm curious about it.

"So should I dimple port the intake or polish the exhaust to fix the head gasket leakage?"
Took me while to stop Laughing, stick with the fancy towel idea to wipe when Drippy :haha::haha::crying:... That dam Humor again wheres Turpinator???

This past weekend was able to solve fueling issue... Not sure if my stock fuel injector is Faulty or if its just unable to keep up above 10,500rpm consistently?
Decided to try PCX injector its working thus far, working on tune but looking good, still have DHM cylinder head coming. Ive been holding back on compression a little using two gaskets cause I was to lazy to scrape off the stock one lol, have surpassed my top speed from stock piston for sure. Good luck on your stock bore project have fun too

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The DHM stuff is nice but it's too much money compared to the sub 200$ this complete (with all sensors, TB, starter, new clutch and bearings...) 125cc engine cost me, especially knowing I already have a ''GO FAST'' engine that is plenty fast enough for me. I'll mess around with the compression a bit and call it good. Tried the TB cam and it pulls decently from 7K, under it's that it's pretty gutless, then again I'm coming from a 181cc with a strong midrange so it's hard to compare. I'm aiming for a realistic 75mph, that would be enough to chase a friend of mine on his old 125CB twin.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm coming from a 181cc with a strong midrange so it's hard to compare. I'm aiming for a realistic 75mph, that would be enough to chase a friend of mine on his old 125CB twin.
Yeah going backwards sux lol, but with your skill set that 75mph on stock bore should be ez for you :cool2:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if you're deliciously sarcastic or monumentally misjudging my abilities... :crying:
I'll stick with the fancy towel for now!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OCD decided to open it up again to fix this minor leak and found there was a small ''lip'' on the cam chain opening on the cylinder, near the temp sensor. Little left over from machining I guess. Not sure how I missed it upon install and later checking it. Said lip was about 4mm long and 0,5mm high, just enough to have oil build up between the cylinder and gasket. Filed it down, installed engine back in the frame and it's all dry now. (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts