Honda Grom banner

Do You Lane Split?

• Sure Do! My bike is narrow for a reason.

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Hell No! Why on Earth risk that?

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Only if my bike is overheating or there is an emergency.

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An update to the 2012 survey by the California Office of Traffic Safety was put on my desk earlier today that shows some traction for those of you who are on two wheels and have air cooled machines between their legs.

It shows some really strong data behind the responsibility that motorbike riders have been taking with the legal use of lane splitting in California. The practice is on the rise as well. Up 4.3% in just one year, and it isn't just the boys doing it. Females are splitting lanes as well!

From what I can discern from the data, Lane splitting by riders has not caused any significant danger to the public and themselves. If anything, the practice, while I would not call it "safe," is not riddled with the dangerous situations that I associate in my mind. There seems to be an incredibly low number (from what I imagined) of cars/motorcycles that have reported to be hit during a lane split.

The biggest threat to a rider's safety while lane splitting? 33.1% say Drivers not looking in mirror (Not seeing motorcycle), followed closely by 25.6% saying Distracted drivers (cells or texting).

97% of drivers reported that they have neither hit, nor have been hit by a motorcycle on a freeway.

However, with all this data that shows it is not as dangerous as one might think, 38.5% of drivers Strongly Disapprove of the practice. So much so, that 6.4% of drivers surveyed said that they have tried to prevent a motorcycle that was lane-splitting from passing. That is scary, but I guess it is better than the 7.3% that tried last year.

Thank you goes to Surj Gish at LaneSplittingIsLegal.com for the analysis of the 39 Page Downloadable PDF Study by the California Office of Traffic Safety.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I did when I was in Cali but only during rush hour traffic. The only time I came close to getting hit was when a guy tried to cut me off. The obviously didn't realize it was legal or was just pissed that I was moving while he was sitting still.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I used to commute daily by bike and I lane split every day. I never did it at speeds above 35. If traffic was moving at 35 I just merged in with traffic. Also, I tried to never go more than about 10 mph than the flow of traffic. So if traffic was stopped, I slowed waaaayyyyy down. Never had a problem though I have seen other riders hit cars and go down.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I lane split everyday. Of course I don't do it for shits and giggles; commuting in So Cal that's what most people get motorcycles for. I have had a few drivers not see me, but of course I am a defensive driver (bless that Moto Safety Class) and move my ass over while they drive like nothing happened. I once seen a guy on his moto on the 101 when a truck merged into his lane without seeing him. Luckily he moved away, but he was so pissed he kicked the truck while he drove off...I had to laugh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Watched a kid do it just last week and nearly get creamed as it was just starting to sprinkle. Wet road and a lack of traction distracting drivers... add a motorcycle attempting a stupid stunt like lane splitting... not good. IMHO

·
Registered
530 Posts
Done it at walking speeds and at stop lights before but I value my life more than getting to where I'm going a couple minutes sooner so I don't split.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I Lane split for fun.

Seriously I gdet a rush every time I split down the freeway during rush hour.

I LOVE it. and it was a super necessary thing on the ruck split up to every light to make up grounds for being so slow, lol.

I have been ran off the road fro an angry uninformed douche.

Have never crashed from splitting.

Then again I also never split more than 10mph faster than traffic around me...

·
Registered
325 Posts
This fellow hs no regard for his license, his life, other peoples lives, other or other people's property. such a shame as homeboy has skills. He's just fucktarded....

·
Registered
475 Posts
its legal in the UK, watch a buddy of mine on a husqvarna nuda 900, travel through London on his daily commute, same bike I just sold and sounds glorious, but watch a pro at work!
Awesome looking bike, hilarious video!!! The roads there look extremely confusing for me...but that's my US mind not being able to comprehend anything unAmerican...hehe

·
Registered
357 Posts
In the UK cars are supposed to pull aside to let ya through on a bike if safe, some are oblivious and get upset while they bake in traffic jams and you zip through, any try to be dicks they usually get there mirrors kicked off. not by me though I usually just shout n swear most of the time and use words you americans find extremely rude to say starting with C and ending in T lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts