752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I installed:

Koso 170cc big bore cylinder kit
Koso 4V cylinder head kit
Koso 34mm throttle body
Koso Mini 3 cylinder head gauge
EGK ER9GH spark plug
Takegawa oil cooler (save yourself some money and buy a generic one off of eBay)
Custom made oil cooler mounting bracket (made from 1" steel bracket)
Spiegler oil cooler lines (one 17" and one 20", 004 end on one side, 200 end on other side, black ends, smoked lines)
2 x 10mm, 1.25 pitch black banjo bolts
2 x 12mm, 1.00 pitch black banjo bolts
Finbro cam chain tensioner bumper
PCX fuel injector assembly (16450-K36-J01)
Pegasus E90.48-Black silicone hose, 1-7/8" ID, 90-degree, 4" legs
K&N RU-2450 universal rubber filter
HPS AJ300-187 6061 aluminum joiner tubing with bead roll, 13 gauge, 3" length

Already installed and relevant:

Kitaco clutch cover
Dobeck AFR+
Takegawa super oil pump
Fake Ducati-style frame

I welded up the oil cooler bracket and hung it off of the frame where the stock air filter bolted on. I painted everything (cylinder, head, oil cooler frame, oil cooler bracket, intake manifold) with Dupli-Color BCP102 black caliper paint. The actual installation was fairly straightforward. I followed HardRacing's videos - the Koso instructions aren't good for much other than torque specs. I connected the oil cooler lines to the clutch cover, not the cylinder. I used the wire wheel to remove the red anodizing from the head bolts. I tucked the air filter in behind the plastics and cut open the one piece to allow for air flow.

Also - a big thanks to Mark (m_in_sc) for answering all of my questions, no matter how dumb they were. And thank you Hard Racing for posting your how-to videos.

I'm very happy with how clean the install looks. Next step - get everything dialed in. It runs like absolute shit now and stalls out at idle. I reset everything, the timing is set properly and everything is gapped appropriately. The AFR+ is set for 12 AFR. Suggestions on how to fix are welcome.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have as well.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
great pic and write up, and that is what I was going to do about my ebay oil cooler is hang it off the frame and the only difference between yours and my idea was I was going to take a steel 1" width long piece and bend it over the frame down towards where I want the oil cooler to be placed and shape the steel on the right and left side till it matches up with the mounting hole of the oil cooler and I would drill the holes in the bent L shape steel and mount the cooler. I would also drill a hole in the steel around the frame area or use the already holes that are in the frame and run a long bolt thru the frame and 1" steel to secure the bracket.

The only difference between yours and my idea is that I'm still using my OEM airbox with my mod. I already test fitted to see if I'm going to have any clearance problem between the front fender and also the front tubes when doing a full left or right turn.

Where did you relocate your horn? I was thinking tucked inside the head light housing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think he painted only the gaurd and pins on the side, not the actual radiator.

Painting the actual rad would make the rad less effective

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The 34mm TB is a tricky setup at first. Until the ECU learns, it'll be too lean to idle. Run the black air screw all the way in (don't force it). Reset TPS and ECU then go for several short (10 min) rides. With a PCV you can just richen the map a lot down low until it learns, but I've never used your tuner so dunno what you can do with it. It will be 30 min of riding in low rpm range until it finally learns and runs acceptably. Then you can crack the black screw back open a bit to set idle.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The 34mm TB is a tricky setup at first. Until the ECU learns, it'll be too lean to idle. Run the black air screw all the way in (don't force it). Reset TPS and ECU then go for several short (10 min) rides. With a PCV you can just richen the map a lot down low until it learns, but I've never used your tuner so dunno what you can do with it. It will be 30 min of riding in low rpm range until it finally learns and runs acceptably. Then you can crack the black screw back open a bit to set idle.
Ah. maybe thats why it took me 5 tries to get it to idle properly.
Next time...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yeah I was scratching my head at first until I figured out what was going on, I got one of the first 4v kits and 34mm tb's so I got to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You painted the cooler black, right? I like it. Hows it from the front? does it have adequate airflow?
Thanks. Yes - I painted the oil cooler frame black, but not the radiator. I think it gets plenty of air flow. Here's a better pic of that:
10.jpg

Thanks, Fox. I'll have to give that a try. I dread riding it now the way it is.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice. Whered you source the silver/steel female bolts/barrel nuts?
Thanks. Finding sources was difficult. Here's what/where I ordered:

M10 x 1.25 banjo bolts: Banjo Bolt M10 x 1 25 Aluminium Banjo Bolt Brake Adaptor Black | eBay
M12 x 1.00 banjo bolts: M12 x 1 0mm Aluminium Single Banjo Bolt in Black | eBay
Lines with pressed fittings: Email [email protected] and ask for one 17" and one 20", 004 end on one side, 200 end on other side, black ends, smoked lines - $125 + $12 shipping

20" was right. I'd probably go 15" on the other if I was doing it again.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Thanks. Finding sources was difficult. Here's what/where I ordered:

M10 x 1.25 banjo bolts: Banjo Bolt M10 x 1 25 Aluminium Banjo Bolt Brake Adaptor Black | eBay
M12 x 1.00 banjo bolts: M12 x 1 0mm Aluminium Single Banjo Bolt in Black | eBay
Lines with pressed fittings: Email [email protected] and ask for one 17" and one 20", 004 end on one side, 200 end on other side, black ends, smoked lines - $125 + $12 shipping

20" was right. I'd probably go 15" on the other if I was doing it again.
oh no no no. the ones that go into the head bolts/studs (rather than the red provided by koso)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Haha. I was considering doing that, but thought maybe you found some somewhere.
I wish vendors would stick to black. On the Koso kit, the cylinder was white, the head was gray and the head bolts were red. On the Takegawa oil cooler, there was red, blue and silver. For me, repainting everything was the only option to keep a clean look.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice setup! Very similar to mine as well! lol. How is yours running now? What fuel management did you use?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts