Honda Grom banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keyless start DIY *PICS*

As a 600 racer I am used to not having a key to turn the bike on and off. I used the kill switch beside the throttle to do it all. It powers everything up and shuts everything down all I have to do is flick the kill switch on and hit the start button.

This has it's advantages, no forgetting your key when you trailer your bike to the track, don't have to worry about breaking your key when you crash, and no leaving your key on when you get off the track after a hard session on the track and killing your battery.

Since I was race prepping the grom, I figured I'd do the same to the grom since I always forget and leave the key on.

Here how to do it:
(Can't post pics from my phone)

Locate and disconnect the ignition and kill switch wiring harness behind the headlight. The two plugs are side by side. Ignition wiring is a 4 wire plug and the kill switch wiring 9 prong plug with 5 wires.

Remove the ignition from the bike and toss it aside (put it in a safe spot so you can put it back on at some point)

On the ignition harness (4 prong plug) you need to jump the solid red wire to the black with yellow wire. These two wires should be the ones on the side with the tab that holds the plug together. I used two female spade ends on a wire about 1 1/2" long to make a small loop.

Now it gets a bit harder. You need to jump the black with red from the ignition harness to the black with blue on the kill switch harness. I removed the black with blue pin from the kill switch plug and wired in a wire about 2" long with a female spade on the other end to plug into the black with red on the ignition harness. Reinsert the pin into the connector.

Plug the kill switch harness back together with the kill switch.

That's it. You are done. Turn the kill switch on and fire up your grom.

The wire you are leaving out is the red with yellow on the ignition harness. This wire goes to the rectifier. I was concerned the bike wouldn't charge so I put a multi meter to the battery with the bike running. It is still charging so no issues there.

I didn't hack up the key side of the ignition harness as I want to be able to to remove everything and have all go back to stock with no wire splices.

Before I started this, I searched how to do it and I could find a single thing beside's someone getting shot down on a forum with the question of "why would you want to do this?" His response was "racing". I hope that guy finds this post because I'm right there with you man!!

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to do this with my 2017 but the wire colors are different. Can anyone let me know which wire I need to jump the kill switch with. Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts