Honda Grom banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Thumb brakes could easily be implemented. They are pretty pricey though.

I will be putting in a Magura left hand rear brake with an Impaktech lever for clutch in the next few weeks. If that works well I can give you a deal on the current brembo brake with reservoir cap clutch lever. You would just need a brake line and a fitting for the rear master.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If I did that, I guess I would have to give up my sweet ASV clutch lever though? I like how it feels. Pretty nice.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
First full length test ride today on the new swingarm.

I really like what the added length does to the ride. Longer wheel base means a more stable ride. No significant change in handling as far as I can tell.

Even if this swingarm craps out on me I will go with extended swingarm. Really improves the ride.

Chain guard is being eaten alive as suspected. This is going to be a problem. See pic.

Using a really nice non-o ring chain. I did not think the o ring did anything to performance but my butt dyno was really surprised by the better acceleration and slowing engine braking sensation I am getting with the non o ring chain.

So far, very pleased!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Pard,
This observation is a guess from your included photos. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Looks like the chain is not fully touching the defense pad. Of course this will accelerate wear.

What you can do, is purchase a piece of Delrin off of eBay. Shape it to fit the arm, drill holes. Mount up.

You can also make the Delrin slider wider while you are at it. This will slow down wear bigtime, 'cause the chain is fully touching the defense pad.

Just my observations.

BTW: that Gold Kepspeed arm is Zoot Capri *!

• fascinating.
  • incredible.
  • marvelous.
  • prodigious.
  • shocking.
  • stunning.
  • surprising.
  • awesome
  • rad
  • very cool
  • awesome

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
664 Posts
This was the number one complaint I had with my Kepspeed and the reason I never installed it. I didn’t like the chain slider. I looked into making my own too. I think that is the way to go.

Did your previous Kepspeed have a lot wear on the slider? dubSolo has posted some pictures of his, that showed quite a bit of wear.

You would think they would just provide a proper chain slider. That thing is a joke.

Was it you or someone else that I mentioned the difference in power between an O-ring vs non O-ring chain recently? Someone said they couldn’t tell a difference, but I’ve always read there was a difference in these little bikes. I always planned to go non O-ring to reduce resistance. Since I dont ride in the rain or offroad, it shouldn’t matter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
When I installed my last chain I put in an O ring chain, and it did not seem to make a difference, but now going back to non o ring I notice the difference.

yet: "dyno test results on the forums quite a few years ago... back to back testing with new chains showed exactly ZERO difference in power... the o-ring chain was first, and while there is more friction when the chains are cold, as soon as the o-ring is up to temp, the chain is just as loose as a non o-ring... "

·
Registered
916 Posts
I rode my Kepspeed almost 10,000 miles and never had any problem with it. :)
Maybe I just happened to get a good one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Pard,

What you can do, is purchase a piece of Delrin off of eBay. Shape it to fit the arm, drill holes. Mount up.

You can also make the Delrin slider wider while you are at it. This will slow down wear bigtime, 'cause the chain is fully touching the defense pad.

This was great idea. Did just that, could have made it look better, but does the job. The old plastic was worm through.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I rode my Kepspeed almost 10,000 miles and never had any problem with it. :)
Maybe I just happened to get a good one.
I don't think anyone doubts that it's possible that you could ride on one for an eternity and never have a problem, but it's also been demonstrated that it could fail catastrophically, which is unacceptable regardless of any anecdotes to the contrary.

The design flaw is the vertical load-bearing weld. Here's a picture of the axle mount on a factory aluminum swingarm on a motorcycle in a slightly different class from the Grom. Compare the welds that secure the axle mount to those of the Kepspeed and other poorly-designed aftermarket solutions. Kepspeed could either alter their design to this type of mount, or they could weld a reinforcing sleeve overtop of the existing weld to spread out the force of each bump in the pavement. Until they address that flaw, it's not advisable to buy a Kepspeed swingarm.

·
Registered
664 Posts
We’ll see if G-Craft’s design holds up. I’d like to think the Japanese are serious about producing a swingarm that is quality and lasts a long time. I hope. Their design has more weld area because the end piece extends up the side of the arm and includes a v-shaped pattern. It probably couldn’t hurt.

Some people have suggested that there is poor weld penetration on the cheaper Chinese swingarms. I don’t know.

G-Craft has been in business for about 25 years. I can’t see why they would produce something that would consistently fail.

The brake side is a bit different, though. It is somewhat welded to the brake mount and spool mount. What I don’t know is how far the end piece, may or may not, extend/fit up inside the arm itself. The G-Craft arms are taller and thinner than the Kepspeed.

I do believe a lot of this comes down to the quality of the welds themselves. Mountain bike frames get hucked off 10 foot drop offs and hold up. They are mitered and welded.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed something looking at those pics of the bearing sleeves with the grooves in them. The marks are on the front and back side of them on opposite ends of the sleeve. The broken welds on the swingarm appear to be starting on the outside of the swingarm. This can easily happen if the axle spacers aren't wide enough. If the axle is tightened up with short spacers it will bend the swingarm together at the axle putting the type of loads on those specific parts and causing those exact type of failures. The bearing digs into the sleeve on the front outside and on the rear inside. The cracks would start on the outside of the swingarm at or around the welds where the largest strain is from the axle bolt compressing the swingarm at that point. If the axle spacers are too wide and are spreading the swingarm, the effects would be on the opposite sides. It's a hypothesis.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts