Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Back to normal.

If anyone wants to buy a slightly used Kepspeed swingarm, I will be willing to let it go for a song... :) It has NEEDLE BEARINGS don't you know...

·
Registered
94 Posts
After having a set of the MNNTHBX bushings and a swingarm with bearings, it's no contest in how much more free the bearings are. The bronze bushings still have a good bit of tension on them once you torque the pivot bolt down.

The Kepspeed swinger internally looks a lot like the triple square G'Craft, which is interesting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After having a set of the MNNTHBX bushings and a swingarm with bearings, it's no contest in how much more free the bearings are. The bronze bushings still have a good bit of tension on them once you torque the pivot bolt down.

The Kepspeed swinger internally looks a lot like the triple square G'Craft, which is interesting.
Been following your build thread and your gcraft swing arm is stunning. Keep and eye on those welded joints! :)

No doubt bearings beat bushings, but for cost/benefit considerations, I think my only option now is the MNNTHBX bushings.

Are you interested in selling your old stock swingarm with installed MNNTHBX bushings? I ordered bushings from them yesterday but they are out of stock for 2 weeks

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’m glad you discovered that before it caused you to crash.

I wonder if the welds just don’t have good penetration? I’m not a welding expert, but that top right corner looks like the weld did not penetrate at all!

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
390 Posts

I believe on the G-Craft, the end piece is welded to the inside of the arm in a V-shape. I wonder if that would make it a lot stronger? I guess it also inserts into the arm like the Kepspeed too.

I don’t love the chain slider position on the Kepspeed. Not sure what I will do with mine. I had already decided I probably wasn’t going to use it. Maybe someone will want it to buy it or trade for it. I’m not worried about it. It wasn’t really expensive.

I thought about the G-Craft, but it is expensive, and I can’t help but wonder how strong it is too. I remember reading a thread where, I believe “M in SC”, said he had a cheap aluminum swingarm for years that he abused the crap out of and it held up.

The MNNTHBX bushings and OTB chain adjusters aren’t cheap either. The G-Craft looks sexy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for all the pics.

Looks like crack may have been there for at least a bit to allow the black dust to penetrate crack? Brake dust?

Keep us posted on progress.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Kepspeed and I had some back and forth on the issue today, but in the end, they agreed to ship me a new swingarm.

Points to them for that.

Will I use it?

Not so sure.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Needs vs Wants..

Took my usual 50 miles aggressive street ride through twisty local roads using the stock unmodified swingarm.

Know what, it works fine.

The Ohlins shock does the job so well that in a blind test I am not sure I would even notice bearings vs bushings, rubber bushings, etc. on this bike. It rides just fine.

Yet, I am once again a fan of Kepspeed!

They have shifted into effusively apologetic mode and have decided to send me a "premium" braced 6cm longer swingarm with fancy chain adjusters and stand supports. (only unit they have in stock :))

Not in love with the color but I dig the design. What chain length will be required?

Curious to see how a longer wheelbase handles.

This is on it's way to me now, free of charge. Go Kepspeed!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You have to give Kepspeed props for stepping up to the plate and shipping you a replacement. It is even a nicer one if you like the braced and gold color.

Pard, what I want to know, is how many double or tripple jumps you have hit on that Grom! 🦄🚴‍♂️✈

I better go look at my swingarm...

EDIT: Mine is all good! And I did race mine once on a tame MX track!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Indeed, I am super impressed with their service.

For the record, the arm was not at all subject to any unusual stress.

As far as my internet searching goes, my kepspeed swingarm failure is the only one I can find, so perhaps it really is a genuine anomaly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is the information I've been looking for, I always wondered how deep the pieces at the end were sleeved into the body of the arm, I think with a longer insert, they'd be safer, but the way they are puts all the weight on the weld. If the braced version welded the under-brace behind the vertical weld, they could address this, but with the brace in front of the weld, it does nothing to reinforce the weak point.
As far as my internet searching goes, my kepspeed swingarm failure is the only one I can find, so perhaps it really is a genuine anomaly
But on the other hand, this is exactly the way the skeptics anticipated it could fail, and it is clear that its construction is no different from the other aftermarket arms that have documented failures. Another way they could improve it would be to make the weld run at a 45 degree angle, so that the stress compresses the welded parts into each other, instead of shearing them apart.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Those chain adjusters are waaay superior to the standard Kepspeed chain adjusters. Those are like the ones Takegawa uses.

Those stand supports are interesting.

Now if they would just design it to utilize the stock Honda chain slider it would be really close to perfect.

That is really cool that they are replacing it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got these yesterday. OTB adjusters. Beautiful, BUT they weigh just about as much as the swingarm!

Will give them a go but surprised at their heft.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Installed a 35T (+1) rear sprocket which should give me a bit more overhead RPM with the +1 front sprocket I need for the BBK.

While the wheel was off put in the OTB adjusters.

SOOOO nice. Such a pleasure to use. Stock adjusters are challenging.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
The 35T was tested today. Improvement but still not perfect.

Ordered the 36T to test.

I really like the 36t with the stock 15t front.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I really like the 36t with the stock 15t front.
Did you lose some top end? I’m not sure if I would benefit from any re-gearing or not.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts