Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we'll see how this swingarm does. I hope to have it installed in the next few weeks.

Studio1930

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've seen a lot of these where the bearings failed. I'm curious to know if MNNTHBX bushings would fit as a replacement.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, we'll see how this swingarm does. I hope to have it installed in the next few weeks.

View attachment 86192

Studio1930
Mine is installed and I love it. :)

I live in the middle of a canyon so I'm going around curves more than I'm going in a straight line, and handling is more precise and predictable with the Kepspeed. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I haven't. Could you provide any references to that? I'd be interested to see them.
I've seen people having problems with the bearings being shot on the french interwebs, no pics I can remember of, just people asking where and how to change the bearings, sounded like those were hard to find.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time will tell, I guess. For the price, it's worth a shot. Looks better than the stock swingarm, that is for sure. ;)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Time will tell, I guess. For the price, it's worth a shot. Looks better than the stock swingarm, that is for sure. ;)
I'm willing to assume the minimal risk of unfounded rumors. ;)

The swingarm is part of my weight reduction mods, and it dropped a hefty 4 pounds. My bike weighs 208 pounds, down from 229. On a little tiny bike with a little tiny engine, believe me this DOES make a difference.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would think needle bearings would live a long life in this application. That being said the potential to ruin them on a careless install is also greatly increased over the oem setup.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I would think needle bearings would live a long life in this application. That being said the potential to ruin them on a careless install is also greatly increased over the oem setup.
Installation basically consists of holding the swingarm in position while sliding in the long pivot bolt, so it's pretty hard to screw up. There was room in the frame, so I installed thin washers on the outside of each side of the swing arm to act as grease seals for the needle bearings.The range of motion of the bearings is similar to the needle bearings in driveshaft universal joints.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh, I didn't mean they would be hard to install. I was just imagining someone driving in the pivot bolt blindly with a hammer. That might not end well. I am keeping an eye on these for a future upgrade. Thanks for all your feedback!

·
Registered
720 Posts
It sure is appealing for the price! My comment is just a friendly heads up to check the bearings once in a while.

I'm willing to assume the minimal risk of unfounded rumors. ;)
Why would you say it's ''unfounded''? Is it because I don't have first hand experience with those?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sure is appealing for the price! My comment is just a friendly heads up to check the bearings once in a while.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give them a look from time to time. Hopefully, the welds hold up too. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welds would be my biggest concern and are the reason why I didn't buy a cheap (or inexpensive...) swingarm in the first place. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you read the Kepspeed thread in the Grom Performance sub-forum I mention this. I’ve been trying to order one from MotorKit for a while. I emailed MotorKit. They are not shipping to the United States right now because of Corona Virus.

The Belgian economy is set to reopen in stages from what I understand. The dates are May 4th, 11th, and 18th. Not sure when MotorKit’s “forwarders” will be back to normal operations.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks, I missed the info in the other thread, appreciate you filling me in. I emailed them before I saw this, will update if I get any additional info from them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, please let’s us know if they provide any new information. You will probably hear from them in the morning. I imagine they will be shipping to the United States again pretty soon.

I’m a little torn between The Kepspeed swingarm and the MNNTHBX bushings.

I’m sure the MNNTHBX bushings yields a much stronger setup, but I like the weight savings, chain adjusters, and bling factor of the Kepspeed.

My OCD doesn’t like how the plastic rear hugger/fender hangs off the back of the Kepspeed on the chain side, but that is a very minor gripe. It would not affect anything at all, but it is something I notice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’m a little torn between The Kepspeed swingarm and the MNNTHBX bushings.

I’m sure the MNNTHBX bushings yields a much stronger setup, but I like the weight savings, chain adjusters, and bling factor of the Kepspeed.
I'm in exactly the same spot. Major motivation for the Kepspeed is my loathing of the stock chain adjusters, and the fact that bronze bearings + better chain adjusters would cost more than the Kepseed, which improves both and then some. I originally planned to go with the lightest Kepseed, but after seeing a competing aluminum swinger (probably a Spyker?) with a catastrophically cracked weld, I'm leaning toward the under-braced version to distribute load a little better. Looks are of the least concern to me, weight reduction would be nice but not a priority.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, the stock chain adjusters are about useless. I agree, when you add some OTB Prototypes chain adjusters and the MNNTHBX bushings, the Kepspeed is cheaper.

All geared up I’m probably less than 170lbs. I’ll probably get the unbraced version. It is a personal preference, but I’m not in love with the look of the brace hanging down low. I have to like how something looks otherwise it will never stop bothering me. Usually I give whatever is bothering me away to get it out of my sight. No more anxiety. Ridiculous? Yes, but it’s worth it to make the anxiety go away.

Did the failure of the Spyker or whatever lead to a crash? I saw a Takegawa aluminum swingarm with a cracked weld one time on here I believe. I think someone bought it and re-welded it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Kepspeed and plan to replace it with another one if the swingarm bearings go bad. Not sure how I would even notice they were going bad though. The pivot bolt is supported by a bushing for 50% of the bolt travel through the swingarm on both sides. The bearings are only on the outside portion of each arm. I doubt I could tell the difference if the bearings seized up. They would just act like bushings at that point.

If you are really worried about the quality of the welds, take the swingarm to a reputable welder to get it inspected before an installation. I may do that to put my mind at ease. I do inspect the welds every time I lube the chain. A failure would lead to a crash no doubt. Those welds need to take a massive load, and I am not qualified to determine if they are sufficient. No way to see what is going on inside the structure either.

The stock swingarm is so much heavier than the Kepspeed, it does make you wonder if the engineers who designed it knew something we don't. It is an engineered piece, maybe that level of robustness is critical.

MNNTHBX bushings and OTB adjusters are probably the smart choice, but I went with passion for the Kepspeed. Probably not that smart.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts