Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who has moved on from the Michelin PP tires to the Kenda KD1 tires? I am very tempted of doing the same (OEM tire sizes). Would like to read of who has, glad to have made the switch, or not, and or any other opinions.

<edit clarification> I have heard these are similar to the Dunlop TT93's, which are a well known and used to be preferred race tire on 12" wheels, prior to PMT's and Mitas hitting the race scene. I'm looking for a stickier (better grip) tire, than what the PP's offer for back road twisty roads.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Me myself for the price I like the Shinko SR007 which I bought 140/70-12 for the replacement of my Michelin rear tires, rated at 93mph, haven't bought the front ones yet since I was going to mix match it with the michelin front tire.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i'm currently running the kwik's. i've only used them on the street/canyons so far so i can't make a fair comparison to the the tt93's and mc35's that i've ran on the street/track. however, for the street, they are definitely a good tire and a step above the pp's. they look to have better longevity than than the tt93 and mc35. however, i may give the edge to the mc35 for the better street tire. still looking forward to trying the kwiks on the track.

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
The Kwik is certainly a stickier, more performance reliable tire than the Michelin PP. The Michelin is a great street tire, but pales when compared to several others when pushed hard.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Kwik is certainly a stickier, more performance reliable tire than the Michelin PP. The Michelin is a great street tire, but pales when compared to several others when pushed hard.
Thanks for the reply. Yup, found out the PP's aren't quite cut out for my riding style = rear let go with no warning, and lowsided :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my third set and luv them have them on my 150r also. Been looking for reviews on this tire with no luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Since I’m local to the awesome folks at Kenda Tires USA, they were nice enough to hook me up with a few sets of tires looking for feedback in return, and I wanted to share what I’ve learned.

Kenda Kwicks are a semi-soft compound which, right away, was a difference from the soft/medium compound I’ve been used to with Dunlops. They’re cheaper by a long shot, lighter, and offered in many more sizes than the TT93s. On the track they are comparable in grip to the Dunlops, which have been the go-to tire for many 12” mini racers for a decade or more. I will say, the Kendas are more predictable at the limit before they slide. My preferred sizes are 100/90 front and 120/80 rear to keep the same bike geometry to stock sizes. I personally didn’t care for the 130/70 tire profile on the rear.

Because of the softer compound the longevity is shorter, but I’m working with the Kenda Director of Powersports in hopes to produce a Medium compound for the warmer climates and heavier riders. Power Pures will be a much better tire suited for touring, if that's what you're looking for.

Consider me sold on Kendas- They’re workin hard to bring us what we want at a fraction of the cost of their competitors.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the added input, guys!

To date, I had recently mounted a set of the KK KD1's, in the stock tire size (120 - F, 130 -R) on my Grom. Due to a much colder and wet winter season, and lack of free time, I have not had the chance to break in the tires, or practice some lot drills. I will certainly post an update when that happens.

To note, I am very familiar with Dunlop TT's. I have used them for both street and mini-moto racing, since the early 90's. Up until the last 6 years (here in Cali), they were the preferred race tires for 12" wheels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since I’m local to the awesome folks at Kenda Tires USA, they were nice enough to hook me up with a few sets of tires looking for feedback in return, and I wanted to share what I’ve learned.

Consider me sold on Kendas- They’re workin hard to bring us what we want at a fraction of the cost of their competitors.
Since you are local, can you get a real set of specs for their line up. Actual widths and OD in mm. Their spec listing for sizing is only to the nearest inch which isn't accurate enough really for setup.

·
Registered
508 Posts
https://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/scooter/kwick-kd1/

OD listed on the chart in inches

says the 120/80 and the 130/70 are both exactly 19 inches OD - I find this dubious and if it was in mm perhaps we could get a more granular picture of the tire size
So, you have to keep in mind that the brochures they provide are for the average person that doesn't understand tire sizes or even how to read tire sizes listed on the side of the tire, nor do they really care what the diameter is, but more that the tire "fits". Ambiguous, yes, but more information than the average person needs to know.

Quick math from the tire sizes tells me diameters are:
120/80 is 496mm
130/70 is 486mm
120/70 is 472mm
110/70 is 458mm

The widths are the first size in the tire sizes:
120/80 is 120mm
130/70 is 130mm
120/70 is 120mm
110/70 is 110mm

Hope this helps

·
Registered
96 Posts
So, you have to keep in mind that the brochures they provide are for the average person that doesn't understand tire sizes or even how to read tire sizes listed on the side of the tire, nor do they really care what the diameter is, but more that the tire "fits". Ambiguous, yes, but more information than the average person needs to know.

Quick math from the tire sizes tells me diameters are:
120/80 is 496mm
130/70 is 486mm
120/70 is 472mm
110/70 is 458mm

The widths are the first size in the tire sizes:
120/80 is 120mm
130/70 is 130mm
120/70 is 120mm
110/70 is 110mm

Hope this helps
You have to know from experience that those numbers as calculated are hardly ever accurate enough to baseline a setup. I have been through enough big bike race tires to know that you can't math it that way and be accurate. That is why there are actual published data sheets from the tire manufacturers that give you accurate sizing in mm. Even then you have to adjust the setup when the tire is mounted to the rim and on the bike. I was just hoping that maybe with the proximity to Kenda described that they may have some real accurate data.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
quick update - so far, I like these tires. I have been using them on my 14 Grom. I think I've figured out the psi for my weight (~160lbs rider), and riding style (street / commute, spirited, and track).

While I only do street / commute rides with my Grom (w/ Ohlins front springs and heavier wt oil, Ohlins rear shock), I have the same tires (in Grom size) on a 17 Z125, for the track. Although, I have some suspension tuning to do - currently stock, w/ heavier fork oil. Currently experiencing front end chatter / slides on the corners I am most aggressive on. No issues with the rear - holding up well w/ stock shock.

Thankfully, the slides are manageable (throttle control), vs my experience (crash) with the Pilot Pures - rear let go with no warning. Probably within the next couple weeks, I'll have a Ohlins fork kit installed. I'll report back with some input, once I get some track time with the upgrade. At some point, I will swap out to Mitas. For now, I'll wear out the Kenda's ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
new update - decided to switch out the Kenda's to Mitas. Put about 6 ~ 7 track days on them. Due to the Z125 not sprung for track or racing, and dealing with front end chatter, I lost confidence in front end grip. I had Ohlins springs installed in the Z125 recently and got some track time in over the weekend. But, I think my front Kenda is toast (reaching end of life) and just couldn't get myself to push the front as hard as I typically would, without worrying about tucking the front.

In summary, the Kenda's worked well for me, up until around the 5th track day, when I started experiencing the chatter. Had I had good suspension setup prior to mounting the Kenda's, they probably would have lasted a bit longer. Would I use them again? Sure! Meanwhile, I'll now have to see how long the Mitas will last me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ordered a pair of these but they haven't come in yet. I just noticed the 75 mph L speed rating. Does it ruin the rubber compound if you heat them up too much or something?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am kinda surprised that after only 5 or 6 days they would be dead and/or screwy. I think I ran nearly a whole season on some TT92s so I was hoping for the same kind of longevity out of the Kendas. I have a spare set of wheels with PMTs on them now for track work but still run the Kendas when I don't feel like swapping or don't have the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts