Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was up in some local mountains yesterday riding with some friends. As Im flogging this little thing for everything its got through the twisties my bike suddenly gets a lot louder. Luckily we use the Sena systems so I was able to tell them and pulled over. I thought maybe exhaust gasket blew out or something, NOPE!, the header tore away from the muffler at the weld. The damn thing is only 6 weeks old and only has about 800 miles or less on it. I had to limp the bike to a friends shop 22 miles away, pull it all off, and weld it all back together. I have spoke with Steady Garage (since I bought it from them) and they are going to get back to me but didnt seem to confident in their ability to help me out. I emailed IXIL and reached out on their social media. I guess we wait now.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had the same happen to my X55. Talked to Ixill USA but they were not hepfull. I re welded added a brace but 600 miles later broke in same place. Will be getting a new system soon.
Hope you have better luck luck then me.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
I know Franco and JDracer had problems with their low slung exhaust system also breaking at the flange and your's is at the muffler.

I think JDracer had a solution in tightening the mounting bolts as not to put too much stress on the exhaust system welded joints.

Franco engine was a Finbro 218 and then a 235 and JDracer's engine was the Tak 181-4v super head, so those BBK put out a lot of vibration causing metal fatigue failure on welded joints.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is just factory cc with kitaco cover and bolt ons. We re-welded the header and muffler. decreased the bend in the pipe bender and mounted the muffler first then swung the header into place. Just a poor design really, I havnt heard from IXIL yet and doubt they will be of much help which is pretty crappy. Hopefully Steady Garage will come through. I def dont feel like welding my damn exhaust every couple months. If it does it again I am going to add an inch of pipe and decrease that stress point. I know its a budget exhaust for a full system and all But you should expect more than 6 weeks. Even Chinese copies last longer than that

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one on my phone and instagram. It literally tore right at the weld where the header meets the muffler

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can't really expect a retailer to warranty a part forever can you? 6 weeks, 800 miles, that's a fair amount of use for a relatively low quality performance part which you've even stated. If you are able to get a replacement from the retailer, best to chip in a little more money and get a better quality pipe. There are so many out there to choose from.

A similar thing happened to me when I bought the undermount MAD pipe. It literally blew apart. The header and the muffler detached while going 50mph or so. I ended up biting the bullet and going with a quality Mugen pipe and sold the remnants of the MAD as a project - parts/not working. Someone scooped it up for $40-$50 and was able to repair it. I got a few hundred miles out of it and I was satisfied, though bummed. Hope it all turns out well for you. Cheers!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not expecting Steady Garage to replace it on their dime but maybe help me with the warranty process or something. If it fails again Ill try something else as a repair or just straight up replace it. Just blew my mind that an exhaust would just come apart like that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is the single low mount. Steady Garage reached out to me today and asked for additional photos. I have repaired it but I don't trust it wont happen again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Hard Racing Engine Support Brace will significantly reduce vibrations and movement of the head/header pipe and thus the muffler junction flex. IF it fits with the IXIL....see their install video and ask them before you buy one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We race hybrid ATVs (atv's with dirtbike motors) and suffer a lot of cracking issues simply from vibration. we have rigid pipes that break every 10 minutes of riding.

I would tackle your issue the way i handle our other custom pipe cracks (that show up near the head pipe).. Simply cut the head pipe about half way down its length, extend the head side with a flare and make a slip joint out of the 2 sides, then tack on a couple of tabs and add a spring.. you can quiet the spring with the CR85 rubber pipe grommet..
That would give you the movement you need without the stress of vibration and bumps on the road.

I'm not sure where your crack is, but if it cracked once, it will crack again regardless of how you sure it up, it will just find another place to crack.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is funny because my cheapo AR dual exhaust from motobot racing has 3500 miles on it and i didnt expect it to last so long at all :O

·
Registered
141 Posts
Holy shit. That's a sad sight.

My cheap ass have the same exhaust, but with black powder coat. Hopefully mine lasts a little longer...

Good thing I kept the stock pipe in the garage.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Jeez. It looks like the pipe actually broke at the edge of the weld. Im assuming the pipe is pretty thin walled, 16ga (.063), or dare i say it... 18ga.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts