Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been praying that Mazda would come out with a updated RX-7 which they never will, I've also been waiting for the Hayabusa to come out with a new motor which they never will and since I surf/paddleboard and other water sports I'm into foiling or surf foiling, paddleboard foiling and also interested in e-foiling which is a electric motor on the foil fuselage.

Anyway the unveiling of the C8 mid engine corvette is today in Southern Calif and if it looks nice and has a good price it will replace my 1982 RX-7.

As far as the other toys I want which is listed above I can skip the Hayabusa by re-storing my 99 and just add a little more HP in the engine by adding a new larger cylinder block and head porting.

As for the efoil, waiting for the price to drop, love skimming over the water. I think $12,000 for a e-foil is steep maybe $6-7,000 is with in reach for a electric driven surf-hydrofoil that can be used for about 90 minutes of water play.

watch unveiling on this link if you are into corvette or sport cars and the latest design
https://www.motor1.com/news/360474/chevy-corvette-c8-unveiling-livestream/

·
Registered
790 Posts
If Mazda did to the RX-7 what Toyota did to the Supra just let it stay in the past. The RX-7 and OG Supra are gorgeous cars. The new Supra is a BMW with neutered performance and BMW "reliability" and it looks like it was smeared in a pile of crap. No thank you to that fugly piece of garbage!

Sport bikes are dead right now. I wouldn't say a new Busa will never come out, but I highly doubt it will happen in the next 5 years.

I'm a Chevy fan - born and raised. The C6 was beautiful. The C7 has polarizing looks and I don't know anybody that would call it a beautiful car, but the performance for the money was incredible. The C8 looks very bad in camouflage so I don't have high hopes. The performance should be great, but the price is probably going to be much higher which goes against the Corvette's reason for being. I'm on the side that wishes Chevy would have kept the C8 an affordable, front engine sports car.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If Mazda did to the RX-7 what Toyota did to the Supra just let it stay in the past. The RX-7 and OG Supra are gorgeous cars. The new Supra is a BMW with neutered performance and BMW "reliability" and it looks like it was smeared in a pile of crap. No thank you to that fugly piece of garbage!

Sport bikes are dead right now. I wouldn't say a new Busa will never come out, but I highly doubt it will happen in the next 5 years.

I'm a Chevy fan - born and raised. The C6 was beautiful. The C7 has polarizing looks and I don't know anybody that would call it a beautiful car, but the performance for the money was incredible. The C8 looks very bad in camouflage so I don't have high hopes. The performance should be great, but the price is probably going to be much higher which goes against the Corvette's reason for being. I'm on the side that wishes Chevy would have kept the C8 an affordable, front engine sports car.
The last of the ZR-1 in orange 2019 to me was the most beautiful corvette I ever seen in person even with the hugh wing in the back, what a beautiful car and I'm mostly more a Mclaren 720 or lamborghini aventador type of car styling guy.

I do agree on the supra, Toyota missed the boat.

I'll be more surprise to see what Hyundai and Kai will come out in the future for the sports car segment because they seem to grasp what the young or old sports car spending customer want in styling plus they hired the best Europeon car designers into their company.

Mazda is riding on their MX-5 miata platform which is another BMW style clone

I was really wishing Mazda had come out with the RX-7 car with this body style and their newly developed engine
RX7 Dec 11 2017.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just looked up the new Supra and oh my god. What did they do? It's like they looked at a bunch of 2 seaters and said, "how can we mash these all together?" Kinda looks like the Lexus RCF or Scion FR-S mixed with the Alpha Romeo 4c. I do actually like where they went with the Camry though. More sporty looking. My old 96 is still on the road at like 200k miles. Sold it to a family friend years ago for $500 when it had 120k miles.

The C8 corvette doesn't look like a corvette. I really liked the C7 and thought it played homage to the old stingray pretty well apart from the taillights. This new one looks so familiar to me. Maybe the first generation Honda NSX?

·
Registered
790 Posts
The last of the ZR-1 in orange 2019 to me was the most beautiful corvette I ever seen in person even with the hugh wing in the back, what a beautiful car and I'm mostly more a Mclaren 720 or lamborghini aventador type of car styling guy.

I do agree on the supra, Toyota missed the boat.

I'll be more surprise to see what Hyundai and Kai will come out in the future for the sports car segment because they seem to grasp what the young or old sports car spending customer want in styling plus they hired the best Europeon car designers into their company.

Mazda is riding on their MX-5 miata platform which is another BMW style clone

I was really wishing Mazda had come out with the RX-7 car with this body style and their newly developed engine
I'm a huge Kia fan. I currently drive one and I love it. It just so happens the girl I'm dating also just bought a Kia before we met and she loves hers as well. The Stinger is a great example of what Kia can do. I think Hyundai and Kia are more willing to gamble on looks and different models. People will whine about the reliability, but modern Hyundai/Kia isn't the same company that it was 10 years ago and the new company has proven to make good vehicles.

My cousin's one-year old Honda Passport just left her sit alongside the road so even the names with great reputations aren't perfect.

I can see how you like the C7 if you are a Lamborghini fan. They both have angular styling. I love Lamborghinis and I like the C7, but it's not my favorite. The ZR-1 is gorgeous in its own right though. The performance makes it even better looking.

I like that Mazda concept. The back looks like a Ferrari 458/488 and the front looks very Cadillac-esque IMO.

I just looked up the new Supra and oh my god. What did they do? It's like they looked at a bunch of 2 seaters and said, "how can we mash these all together?" Kinda looks like the Lexus RCF or Scion FR-S mixed with the Alpha Romeo 4c. I do actually like where they went with the Camry though. More sporty looking. My old 96 is still on the road at like 200k miles. Sold it to a family friend years ago for $500 when it had 120k miles.

The C8 corvette doesn't look like a corvette. I really liked the C7 and thought it played homage to the old stingray pretty well apart from the taillights. This new one looks so familiar to me. Maybe the first generation Honda NSX?
Yep. The Supra is a shit show.

I agree. The C7 looks very first gen NSX-like in camo which is to say very bland styling. The NSX, even when it came out, has very generic styling in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's on now

I think I'm getting one, doesn't matter if it is first year mid-engine it has a sexy design, now waiting for the colors they will come out with.

I'm a gun metal grey type of guy.

Just sent Chevy my contact info for ordering the new 2020 Stingray mid-engine corvette.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm still not a fan of the styling. I stick to my original comments that it looks bland like a warmed over first gen NSX. I think Chevy totally missed the mark on the looks. But at the same time it's generic enough that most people should accept it if not like it.

With that being said, the performance numbers and the price are astounding! I was sure that the price of the C8 would creep into six figures, but they kept the starting price at an incredibly low mark. And 0-60MPH under 3 seconds is awesome!

I'm anxious to see what the car looks like in person. The C7 looks much better in the flesh and I'm hoping the C8 does as well.

Fingers crossed that this one is a smash hit.

Even the anti-GM tool bags on Jalopnik are in agreement that this is an awesome release.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still not a fan of the styling. I stick to my original comments that it looks bland like a warmed over first gen NSX. I think Chevy totally missed the mark on the looks. But at the same time it's generic enough that most people should accept it if not like it.

With that being said, the performance numbers and the price are astounding! I was sure that the price of the C8 would creep into six figures, but they kept the starting price at an incredibly low mark. And 0-60MPH under 3 seconds is awesome!

I'm anxious to see what the car looks like in person. The C7 looks much better in the flesh and I'm hoping the C8 does as well.

Fingers crossed that this one is a smash hit.

Even the anti-GM tool bags on Jalopnik are in agreement that this is an awesome release.

We have a dearlership "stealership" on Stevens Creek Blvd in San Jose so I'm going down there to put my $500 pre-order money down and heading down to the Credit Union to get pre-approved for a car loan and contacting my Stock broker to release some cash for the purchase of the Stingray. Need to get the ball rolling to replace my 1982 RX7 which I bought new from the Mazda dealer also on Stevens Creek Blvd called Oak Tree Mazda.

·
Registered
393 Posts
We have a dearlership "stealership" on Stevens Creek Blvd in San Jose so I'm going down there to put my $500 pre-order money down and heading down to the Credit Union to get pre-approved for a car loan and contacting my Stock broker to release some cash for the purchase of the Stingray. Need to get the ball rolling to replace my 1982 RX7 which I bought new from the Mazda dealer also on Stevens Creek Blvd called Oak Tree Mazda.
It's been 38 years Cisco, better get moving!!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My C8 is coming from Tampa Florida, from one of the top 10 dealership of Chevy in the USA. I'm number 73 out of the first 200 2020 stingray allotted to this dealer. Now choice of color Gun metal gray or coco brown. They already have my $500 pre-order refundable deposit. Selling to me at MSRP plus any option plus Calif DMV plus shipping of the vehicle to Calif, plus any Calif sales tax.

Now my friend is looking for me a house in San Diego since I need a place for my cars, truck, motorcycles and all the other toys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone watched any of the reviews or comparisons with the Supra. Toyota grossly underrated the power figures. the car is actually quite the performer. as far as the styling goes... that's always subjective. when the OG supra came out it was nothing groundbreaking. it was a great canvas for people to upgrade. it wasn't until they put the 2JZ in that it came from the factory with some balls.

I for one, love the look of the new supra, BUT I think the C8 just caught the eye of most if not all supra/z4 fans and it might even sway some Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari prospective buyers.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those of you in the San Diego area, Bob Stall Chevrolet will have the C8's at the dealership on Monday/Tuesday. GM will also have rep's there for answers.

Which is today and tomorrow

·
Registered
91 Posts
well it's shown over 400 hp to the wheels on a dyno, from the factory, and it's balanced very well. Toyota was underrating all the performance figures. the car is pretty awesome for 50k.
With that said, the C8 is going to shake up the whole performance car segment. it's not even a limited car, there will be an "endless" supply. I can't wait!

Also, sorry if I hijacked the thread with Supra propaganda.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You cancelled the order from Florida?

When is the delivery date?
Florida was pre-order purchase, $500 refundable, and no sales rep called me from Stingray Chevy in Florida so I looked around in the Bay area and found a couple of dealership selling at MSRP. Now I don't have to worry about trucking the C8 cross country.

Anyone one in the Bay Area looking for a new C8 mid-engine corvette stop by Fremont Chevy and see Ben Beery, sales rep and drummer.

The new C8 will not be built until Dec time frame for the first allotment. I will or so pose to receive my C8 Spring time which I don't mind.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I went down to Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City, I fit. The car looks way better in person, I wanted to make sure that I would fit in the GT2 seats, it was kinda of snug near my lats and the fit on my back mid section felt a lot better and supported my back really good.

I did find out that the leather covered steering wheel felt a lot better than the other material steering wheel, so that will be the only change I will make in my order that I already did.

Talking to some of the people there and also to the guys that brought the C8 to northern Calif, the engine is being made in Mexico and assembled at the USA plant,"meaning once the engine comes to the USA from Mexico it will be put into the frame of the car.

Rode my Kawi ZX6R there since it was EZ to split lanes on Hwy 101.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts