Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a grom as my first bike. I've been between getting a supermoto (drz 400) and a grom. Right now I'm leaning towards the grom just because of how easy it is to ride and also because of how I intend to use the bike. I plan to commute 10mi a day on it and just ride it around town and PCH for short adventure rides. Is the grom the right bike for this?

Also, I've found two pretty good deals. 3.6 for a new 2015 model in CA.

I also found a guy on craigslist who bought two 2014 grams when they first came out from Kansas. His buddy who races tailored both bikes all the way to CA on his way back from a race. Long story short this guys buddy ended up passing away after from a non-riding related accident. So this guy has been holding onto his buddies bike figuring out what he was going to do with it. Now, he said he's done grieving and is willing to sell. The bike literally still has plastic on it, 0 miles, the mirrors aren't even installed yet because it's so new. I've seen it in person. It's prestine. He's asking 3k. It also comes with a 3 year warranty through Honda ononce I put the bike in my name. As no one has claimed ownership on the bike since the owner passed away before he could claim it so the warranty is good for 3 years still.

So so do I get a 2015 for 3.6 or a 2014 for 3k with a three year warranty?

Is the grom a good idea for a first bike over a supermoto?

Sorry if this is the wrong place, this is my first ever post.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The 2014 for 3K is a killer deal for California.

I ride the Grom on the PCH all the time and it is hella fun. Actually rode it SF to Santa Barbara a couple months back.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
yeah, get the 3k one.

they are extremely fun, but consider getting a second bigger bike (in addition to the grom) in a few years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. I think it will be a good first bike. I'm fairly mechanically inclined as well. I have a 70cc Yamaha Zuma I am going to sell to get the Grom that I put a lot of work into before I convinced my wife and parents to let me get a motorcycle.

Now, what gear does everyone use when riding a grom? Helmet, jacket, jeans, boots?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Where abouts are you located that you are riding on the PCH? I am in Camarillo, just scored my 2014 with 3.8k miles for 3k even from a guy in pt hueneme. If you can find a literally untouched one for 3k, go for it, private party, mark down that you paid less and pay less in taxes for the both of ya.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on it then. I plan on getting a bigger bike in a year or two.
Keep the Grom if you do haha. Having choices is awesome when you want to ride, just saying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where abouts are you located that you are riding on the PCH? I am in Camarillo, just scored my 2014 with 3.8k miles for 3k even from a guy in pt hueneme. If you can find a literally untouched one for 3k, go for it, private party, mark down that you paid less and pay less in taxes for the both of ya.
I'm over in the Newport Beach area. That's solid. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
What gear would you recommend? I might look at craigslist to pick up a jacket and some boots.
I'm 43 yrs old and have been riding for decades, and have never really been an ATGATT kinda guy. I knew better, but just didn't care. Well, in Oct 2015 I went down for the first time in my life. I just happened to be wearing gear because it was cold out. So glad I was. My shoulder is gimped up and I'll be having surgery in a week or two from now to correct it. However, outside my shoulder injury, I had nothing else injured. No scrapes, no bruises, nothing. No amount of gear can stop what happened to my shoulder (rare and freak injury), however, if I wasn't wearing any gear, OMG, I would of been all kinds of injured, on top of my shoulder injury. I'm not preaching ATGATT because I hated when others did it to me, however, it sure saved my ass. I wouldn't have died without it, but I would of been much more uncomfortable.

Helmet and gloves are a must in my opinion. Even when I wore shorts and a tee, I had gloves on. The thought of road rash on my hands is no bueno haha. I recommend a jacket as well, textile. They're actually cooler than just a tee in the heat because the air blows through but the sun isn't beating on your skin. Stop signs their hot, but once moving all good. High top shoes I'd say too, keep those ankles covered. Riding boots and pants would be best, but I don't know if all that us necessary on an 8hp bike haha. Everyone preaches at least jeans, but honestly, those disintegrate on asphalt. Dickies work pants are way better. Actual riding jeans better, but Dickies actually hold up very well on asphalt.

Even with my accident, I'm guessing on the Grom I'll wear helmet, gloves, and textile jacket in summer. My stubborn butt will probably still wear shorts (Dickies) and Vans.

On my other bikes, capable of much higher speeds, I'll be ATGATT for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. I'm thinking helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans or dickies, vans high tops. I'll probably get boots soon then just change into regular shoes when I get to work.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I'm 43 yrs old and have been riding for decades, and have never really been an ATGATT kinda guy. I knew better, but just didn't care. Well, in Oct 2015 I went down for the first time in my life. I just happened to be wearing gear because it was cold out. So glad I was. My shoulder is gimped up and I'll be having surgery in a week or two from now to correct it. However, outside my shoulder injury, I had nothing else injured. No scrapes, no bruises, nothing. No amount of gear can stop what happened to my shoulder (rare and freak injury), however, if I wasn't wearing any gear, OMG, I would of been all kinds of injured, on top of my shoulder injury. I'm not preaching ATGATT because I hated when others did it to me, however, it sure saved my ass. I wouldn't have died without it, but I would of been much more uncomfortable.

Helmet and gloves are a must in my opinion. Even when I wore shorts and a tee, I had gloves on. The thought of road rash on my hands is no bueno haha. I recommend a jacket as well, textile. They're actually cooler than just a tee in the heat because the air blows through but the sun isn't beating on your skin. Stop signs their hot, but once moving all good. High top shoes I'd say too, keep those ankles covered. Riding boots and pants would be best, but I don't know if all that us necessary on an 8hp bike haha. Everyone preaches at least jeans, but honestly, those disintegrate on asphalt. Dickies work pants are way better. Actual riding jeans better, but Dickies actually hold up very well on asphalt.

Even with my accident, I'm guessing on the Grom I'll wear helmet, gloves, and textile jacket in summer. My stubborn butt will probably still wear shorts (Dickies) and Vans.

On my other bikes, capable of much higher speeds, I'll be ATGATT for sure.

im the same age. guess what happened in may '15?

http://vid1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/rooskie3/Deals Gap/gap 2015/rdcrash-gap-2015-short_zpsuokicvsn.mp4

deals gap, no being particularly aggressive, ft was light in 3rd, tapped brake at wrong time and bam. w/out helmet, id be eating steak through a feeding tube right now. w/out boots on i would have lost 2 toes, and w/out jacked would have had abroen shoulder. i did fracture my wrist. w/out armored gloves, hands would have been down to bones.

wear your fucking gear. I didnt have leg protection on, hence the knee. lesson, learned. was doing about 45-50 mph. 1st road accident in 24 years of riding. was totally my fault, but wasn't from doing anything crazy, just bad timing. i consider myself lucky. 100 feet earlier or oncoming traffic = dead.

·
Registered
524 Posts
ATGATT!!!!! During my early years of riding, I had a 15 mph get-off. My protection was leather jacket, gloves, and helmet (by law). My jeans and two week old tennis shoes did not survive the crash. I still have the scar on my knee to remind me. Since then, gear from head to toe.

As for gear, bar-none, nothing beats a leather suit (2 or 1 piece). Most textile will survive a single crash, depending on the severity of the crash. Moto-X gear, imo, is minimal, being that the areas not protected by armor are still at risk of road rash, or worst, a puncture.

My track suit has scuffs up and down the entire length, arms and shoulders, due to many crashes (low slides). Think of all those scuffs as being scar tissue. Is riding without protection worth it?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
worst part was my full race leathers were hanging on the hook, in the room. so much for a quick ride to the overlook. the leather jacket however survived nicely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will it look weird if I wear sport bike gear on the grom? Leather jacket, sport boots, gloves, and helmet? Just to commute to work 10 miles? I want to play it safe even though a lot of people just view the grom as a mini bike.

·
Banned
489 Posts
F-em! If you are riding a Grom and worried about looking weird... that ship has already sailed (unless you are 5'3" and 90 lbs). Embrace the weird play it up and for those rides just let your inner-freak flag wave. ;)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Will it look weird if I wear sport bike gear on the grom? Leather jacket, sport boots, gloves, and helmet? Just to commute to work 10 miles? I want to play it safe even though a lot of people just view the grom as a mini bike.
nope. At least I hope not. That's what I'll be doing lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts