Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to the thread and plan on enjoying many moments on it. Currently, I'm riding my trusty Ruckus (never one issue). In the past, I've owned 125cc scooters including the wretched/ Garbage Sachs MadAss 125.
When I found out Honda was actually putting out a new version of their 4-speed Monkey (125cc :big smile:!!!), I was thrilled. My only question is... Is the Grom actually Japanese, or is it a Honda-Badged Chinese manufactured bike? I called my local dealer, and he was not sure, because he hasn't actually seen one yet. If it is manufactured and assembled in Japan, I'm totally in and I'll put my money down as soon as I can find out. Being a Honda (high-cost), the MSRP seems a little low compared to others in its class--This is what makes me question.

Thanks,

Hugo

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thailand. But don't be worried. No matter where it's made, it's still made in a Honda factory to Honda specs. Period, it's quality Honda.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I find it very comical when some of these "vendors" are putting on their Instagram that they're scouring Japan for the hottest JDM parts lol and they dub it Japan's new mini bike.. If only they knew it were Thai made

I agree with Eurobeaner, my gfs Metro is china made and you'd never tell, the body, the parts, it's all typical honda quality

·
Registered
257 Posts
Correct, made in Thailand just like my 2013 Honda CRF250L... which is top notch quality as usual from Honda. I used to work for Honda motorcycles years ago and have had over 50 motorcycles, if I didn't know my 250L was made elsewhere I would have never guessed. I haven't seen the Grom in person yet but hear the quality is the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. It might be assembled in Thailand (which is fine), but you will find the parts are made all over the world and assembled on the bike. My CR-V has an engine from Japan, a transmission from Indonesia, lights from Germany, all assembled in England and sold in the US. I had an 05' CRF-230F that was built in Brazil. Both my Recon ATV's are built in the USA. Honda makes them all over the world and the quality seems to be about the same.

·
Registered
677 Posts
yep. its all about whos keeping tabs on the quality control. most crappy brands/cheap products will set a "specification" (all brands do) and for some things the specs are very very low, or weak, or vary wildly. so lets say you are making a spoon and the brand goes to this manufacture and says HEY, i want you to make me these spoons, they can be anywhere from 6-9" long and anywhere in between. this means they should get a VERY large number of in "spec" items very easily, aka CHEAPLY. when a brand says "i need these spoons made anywhere from 6.00" to 6.01" in length, its difficult to get them exactly there without more precise machines and stricter quality control (read: MORE EXPENSIVE) youll also have a certain percentage of failure rate which also drives up prices......... so REALLY, no matter where anything is made, its more about what the Brand/manufacture sets as the specs and how strict they want it enforced and what they are willing to pay to get it.

being honda, in a honda plant, i do not have any issue no matter WHERE its made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in... I just might have to wait (probably won't wait) until they reach the showroom floors to get a feel. I had a Yamaha (Taiwanese) Zuma 50 and 125 in the past--both bikes failed in quality compared to my trusty Ruckus. With under 50 miles on each, the Yamaha 50 crank and gear seals leaked, and the 125 had major fuel pump issues. Of course, I realized going into purchasing them that Honda was a superior make--I hope that rings true with the Grom.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm in... I just might have to wait (probably won't wait) until they reach the showroom floors to get a feel. I had a Yamaha (Taiwanese) Zuma 50 and 125 in the past--both bikes failed in quality compared to my trusty Ruckus. With under 50 miles on each, the Yamaha 50 crank and gear seals leaked, and the 125 had major fuel pump issues. Of course, I realized going into purchasing them that Honda was a superior make--I hope that rings true with the Grom.
If your dealer is like mine and offers refunds on deposits I suggest you go ahead do that to secure one for this year... then if you didn't want it no foul. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I know that my dealer would grant a refund on the deposit. We have an honest relationship/knows my expectations, and he also agrees that I see the bike prior to purchase. He (as well as probably most dealers in the country) doesn't know deep details about the bike. Again, being Honda-badged, I'm sure it is great, and I'm totally into it, but not in a great hurry. I'm not going to spend a mortgage payment on anything unless I know it is for me.

When I put a deposit on my 2009 Ruckus (expected delivery--1st week of August, 2008), it didn't show up to any dealers in the Boston area until late September. Be prepared that you might not be fully breaking the Grom in until next April.
I've currently got my Ruckus (reliable turtle) to keep me going:big smile:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts