Honda Grom banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great chain. I love mine. Has held up great compared to stock. Keep it lubed up and clean it is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see this chain is still available for a really good price. What is funny is how quickly Amazon tells me this product does not fit my Grom.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I’m running the Renthal R1 gold chain. It seems way better than the stock chain regarding stretch. In fact, I’ve never adjusted the chain tension since installing it. It is a high quality chain, made in Italy. My stock chain needed to be adjusted very regularly.

My only complaint is the absolutely ridiculous amount of grease that comes on it. It’s covered in this ultra sticky, white grease that gets flung absolutely everywhere. It took multiple cleanings to get all of the grease off the bike. I even wiped down the chain’s side plates with a small amount of gasoline before installing it. That was woefully inadequate.

Recently, I popped the master link off, removed the chain, and brushed it with a small amount of gasoline on a nylon brush. I did not completely submerge the chain in gasoline, like I do on bicycle chains. I’m wasn’t looking to remove all of the grease that is deep inside. I just wanted to remove the stupid amount of grease that was on the parts of the chain that do not require tons of lubrication. Kerosene would have been a better choice, but I don’t have any. I then wiped it down real good with paper towels, stripping the last bit of that excessive grease off. Finally, I lubed it lightly with some Maxima chain wax and let it dry.

I never even loosened the rear wheel. To reinstall, I have a special pair of chain pliers made by Park Tool. They are for bicycles, but easily fit the Grom’s 420 chain. The pliers easily draw the chain back together, allowing you to slip the master link back in place.

I need to buy another one so I can install a larger rear sprocket. Mine current chain isn’t long enough. Next time I will remove most of that grease from the beginning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m running the Renthal R1 gold chain. It seems way better than the stock chain regarding stretch. In fact, I’ve never adjusted the chain tension since installing it. It is a high quality chain, made in Italy. My stock chain needed to be adjusted very regularly.

My only complaint is the absolutely ridiculous amount of grease that comes on it. It’s covered in this ultra sticky, white grease that gets flung absolutely everywhere. It took multiple cleanings to get all of the grease off the bike. I even wiped down the chain’s side plates with a small amount of gasoline before installing it. That was woefully inadequate.

Recently, I popped the master link off, removed the chain, and brushed it with a small amount of gasoline on a nylon brush. I did not completely submerge the chain in gasoline, like I do on bicycle chains. I’m wasn’t looking to remove all of the grease that is deep inside. I just wanted to remove the stupid amount of grease that was on the parts of the chain that do not require tons of lubrication. Kerosene would have been a better choice, but I don’t have any. I then wiped it down real good with paper towels, stripping the last bit of that excessive grease off. Finally, I lubed it lightly with some Maxima chain wax and let it dry.

I never even loosened the rear wheel. To reinstall, I have a special pair of chain pliers made by Park Tool. They are for bicycles, but easily fit the Grom’s 420 chain. The pliers easily draw the chain back together, allowing you to slip the master link back in place.

I need to buy another one so I can install a larger rear sprocket. Mine current chain isn’t long enough. Next time I will remove most of that grease from the beginning.
Awesome
Ya ill look i to it. Im about to throw a +2 on my stock chain. If it doesnt fit Ill order this setup qnd a chain tool

·
Registered
785 Posts
I used an angle grinder to shorten my Renthal R1 chain before installing it. Just grind the pin down, then tap the pin out. I did it twice, because I tried different lengths.

Reactions: BUCKNUT

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used an angle grinder to shorten my Renthal R1 chain before installing it. Just grind the pin down, then tap the pin out. I did it twice, because I tried different lengths.
Haha that is too funny.
No, Ill just get a chain tool. While your method would work, Im not a fan of “angle grinder” and “chain”.
They make the tools for it, and they work well. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
It is impossible to know anyone used an angle grinder, because the pin and plate are discarded. Looks completely perfect, because it is completely perfect. I’ve used countless chain tools on bicycles. Nothing wrong with a chain tool, but it most certainly isn’t absolutely necessary to shorten a motorcycle chain, if you don’t want to purchase one. I wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t perfect. I am a perfectionist. If it wasn’t perfect, I would throw the entire chain away and start over…lol.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,481 Posts
I have used a grinder many times, and I own a chain break. Grinder works perfectly assuming you have the skills required to not cut your fingers off. Lol

·
Registered
785 Posts
Even with a chain tool, it is common to grind the end of the pin off, then push it through. If you are riveting on a master link, then yes a chain tool capable of mushrooming the ends is the right tool for the job.

I’ve got 3 or 4 chain tools for bicycles. I just don’t currently have one big enough to fit the Grom’s 420 chain. Since the Renthal R1 chain uses a quick link, it isn’t necessary to push a pin back through like on a Shimano bicycle chain, or mushroom anything.

The grinder method accomplishes everything you need. It is completely uneventful. A few seconds of grinding, then tap the pin out with a hammer and punch. Done.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have used a grinder many times, and I own a chain break. Grinder works perfectly assuming you have the skills required to not cut your fingers off. Lol
You haven't lived till you've nearly lost a couple fingers with a grinder. That's how all of our chains get taken apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts