Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Grom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Grom owner.

I've got a Yoshimura full-system exhaust on the way, and am looking into a Chimera cold-air intake.

Are there other options (cheaper and/or equivalent) to a Power Commander?

I'm not looking for a higher top speed, maybe just quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man if you would have just saved yourself some money and bought a 2020 or older, there is a HUGE aftermarket. I can understand wanting the newest grom if you are going to keep it stock, but if you want a grom to modify, you really crippled yourself and really should have put a bit more thought into your purchase.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Grom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man if you would have just saved yourself some money and bought a 2020 or older, there is a HUGE aftermarket. I can understand wanting the newest grom if you are going to keep it stock, but if you want a grom to modify, you really crippled yourself and really should have put a bit more thought into your purchase.
Kinda forward to think that I put no thought into my purchase.

·
Registered
2022 Grom
47 Posts
It's always like that for every brand when a brand new update comes out that changes things, how caustic.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm a new Grom owner.

I've got a Yoshimura full-system exhaust on the way, and am looking into a Chimera cold-air intake.

Are there other options (cheaper and/or equivalent) to a Power Commander?

I'm not looking for a higher top speed, maybe just quicker acceleration.
Maybe at some point Cameron Jones or David Hugh will be able to reflash the ECU. I don’t think that is possible yet. At least not that I am aware of. Reflashing the ECU has been a reliable and cost effective way to change the AFR on the two previous generations of Groms.

As far as acceleration goes, it has been typical to gear the OG and SF Groms with lower gearing. They were equipped with 15/34 gearing, which was way too tall. People typically install a 14t in the front or something like a 36t, 37t, 38t, etc in the rear. Sometimes they choose a combination of both. The 2022 already has a 38t in the rear, so it will be interesting to see what changes people make to gearing, if any at all.

A different camshaft that focuses on the lower to mid range rpms could help acceleration too.

It won’t take the aftermarket long to catch up and have plenty of offerings available. They are in the business to make money. It is in their best interest to have plenty of products to sell.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Grom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe at some point Cameron Jones or David Hugh will be able to reflash the ECU. I don’t think that is possible yet. At least not that I am aware of. Reflashing the ECU has been a reliable and cost effective way to change the AFR on the two previous generations of Groms.

As far as acceleration goes, it has been typical to gear the OG and SF Groms with lower gearing. They were equipped with 15/34 gearing, which was way too tall. People typically install a 14t in the front or something like a 36t, 37t, 38t, etc in the rear. Sometimes they choose a combination of both. The 2022 already has a 38t in the rear, so it will be interesting to see what changes people make to gearing, if any at all.

A different camshaft that focuses on the lower to mid range rpms could help acceleration too.

It won’t take the aftermarket long to catch up and have plenty of offerings available. They are in the business to make money. It is in their best interest to have plenty of products to sell.
It's not my desire to go crazy with mods, but if there are easy ways to get a performance boost, I'm game.
I'm swapping in the new exhaust to improve the sound, and save a few pounds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pretty sure DHM offers a reflash for the 2022, they also have a cam for it to.

Had a stage 2 DHM reflash on my 2018 and loved it, so I'd expect the reflash for the 2022 would be worth the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts