Honda Grom banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I must have the slowest 2022 Grom, about 57-58 on flat ground flat out unless I duck, and then I might see 63-64 tops, never seen 65 on flat ground.
Decided to visit my local Honda shop today.

We are arranging to have a customer bring in their stock 22 (broken-in) so I can run it against my stock 14 and hopefully take it for a ride.

I will post what happens..........

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just saw reports of CJR doing some prototype cam and makeshift high mount exhaust testing, he's making 14hp on the dyno with the 22....... Seems there is way more potential with the new motor. Lots of R & D going on over there. Looks like he hasn't posted the graph showing 14hp yet either, but there is lots of information on things they've tested and the results here: CJR Test & Tune 2022 Honda Grom — CJR Performance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grom riders in my area were out riding with a rider on a new 2022 Grom.

They found it slower compared to one of the group rider's stock 2014 model, they exchanged bikes and found the same results.

I watched an online video of a 2022 Grom highway test, seemed the engine torque was weak in 5th gear and the speed was easily affected slight incline, tucked or not tucked, drafting or not drafting cars, etc.

I was looking renew my stock 2014 daily driver with a 2022 but unsure now.

No 2022 model flames intended, just trying to understand what others have experienced to make a decision, new 2021 or 2022?
I sold my 2015 grom for a 2022 and I have no regrets speed seems about the same 2022 rides wheelies easier stock

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 Grom has the much more convenient way to change oil ie only a sump plug washer to check or change, a cartridge oil filter so no messing about with centrifugal oil flinger and having to take side off engine to get there and probably damage the gasket and no dip stick to check oil level, a sight glass shows it straight away. These sell it for me never mind top speeds.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just saw reports of CJR doing some prototype cam and makeshift high mount exhaust testing, he's making 14hp on the dyno with the 22....... Seems there is way more potential with the new motor. Lots of R & D going on over there. Looks like he hasn't posted the graph showing 14hp yet either, but there is lots of information on things they've tested and the results here: CJR Test & Tune 2022 Honda Grom — CJR Performance
This is pretty inspiring.... Maybe I should sell my Grom and get a '22. A BBK may do wonders as well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
Top speed reporting is so variable, especially on a small bike.

Keep in mind the new bike has less torque, slightly higher hp at a higher rpm. Increased compression ratio as well. All this to be compliant with Euro5.

Thankfully the new 5 speed and oil spinner delete will make the bike accelerate quicker because you stay in the sweet spot and not fall out of power during shifts and the heavy spinner isn't there to cause slow engine revving.

The '22 model gained 1 mph up top per Honda. It also got quicker acceleration and better fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Grom number three purchased on sound advice from Greg and Kevin @ MNNTHBX. My EXPENSIVE souped up SF was no slouch. Unloaded the 22 from our truck this afternoon and took the obligatory shorts & t-shirt, hat backwards blast up and down the hill (no flip flops, wearing Lem's Boulders!). Seriously, wear ATGATT. Check the link on my SF which shows why I don't have an artificial knee...

Perhaps I got a ringer, this thing jams and pulls. Much stronger than the older bikes. With 1,600 miles of figuring out a Bazzaz on a SF (yep, I was the first one) I know the terrain. Plenty of umph for most folks and much closer to the sweet spot for the chassis. With a few less extra bucks than the older Groms you'll have small bike 125 nirvana unless big bore is in the picture, stud spacing limited.

The 22 Grom is to it's predecessors as the R100 GS was to the R80 GS. A landmark improvement in a legendary niche bike. Hope this resonates appropriately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Grom number three purchased on sound advice from Greg and Kevin @ MNNTHBX. My EXPENSIVE souped up SF was no slouch. Unloaded the 22 from our truck this afternoon and took the obligatory shorts & t-shirt, hat backwards blast up and down the hill (no flip flops, wearing Lem's Boulders!). Seriously, wear ATGATT. Check the link on my SF which shows why I don't have an artificial knee...

Perhaps I got a ringer, this thing jams and pulls. Much stronger than the older bikes. With 1,600 miles of figuring out a Bazzaz on a SF (yep, I was the first one) I know the terrain. Plenty of umph for most folks and much closer to the sweet spot for the chassis. With a few less extra bucks than the older Groms you'll have small bike 125 nirvana unless big bore is in the picture, stud spacing limited.

The 22 Grom is to it's predecessors as the R100 GS was to the R80 GS. A landmark improvement in a legendary niche bike. Hope this resonates appropriately.
Well I took the plunge at the local Honda shop today but decided to change-up a little.............

My Grom conclusion, right or wrong (stock to stock), is the 22 is a bit quicker than the 14 (due to gearing I believe) and the top speed is a wash on average.

Even my 14 could only hit 58 mph yesterday when I have seen 62'ish before, too many factors are at play that you cannot control.

I used to have a Red 1971 Honda Z50A K2 Mini trail when I was younger and I was crushed when it was stolen while attending school, still have the key and the flywheel puller!!

Fuel tank Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle

So I decided to go back to retro and found memories.......today I signed up for a 22 Black-Silver Monkey.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive fuel system

The 22 model had too many updates (besides performance) to pass up, as has been brought to my attention by yourselves in this thread.

It will be delayed gratification........availability is promised end of November, mid-December, and with Covid who knows.

Hope I am not seen as traitor for picking a "Monkey", will be strange not having the Grom after almost 7 years as a daily driver.

Appreciate all the inputs from everyone and my local Grom riders in helping me make this decision.

Ride-On and be Safe :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks for the explanation........

Looking at the other 22 lower gear ratios, if would appear the 22 should be somewhat quicker than the 14, maybe not much faster.

Would you agree?
Yes.
Definitely quicker out of the hole with a lower first gear, but not necessarily a faster top speed..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 22 and right off the rip 4 miles on it it got me up to 63mph on flat but i was on it for a while to get there. Just did 14t sprocket and it stays in power way easier. Never road on or with another grom so i cant compair. I usually only use 5th when cruising or trying to go as fast as possible.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts