Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning intake modifications.
My question specifically is which is better :

Modded airbox ( I believe this to be the best solution for an intake being that the cylinder is right below the intake and has a high probability of causing heat soak)

Or a dinger built intake - the longer one

And I mean specifically in real world applications where throttle position is very greatly and the bikes will be running hot due to high rpm use.

I suspect that in real world application the modern airbox would be superior due to its ability to flow more air that is specifically cool while maintaining a Plenum of air which will allow for greater power when varying throttle.

what’s your .02

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well I have run all of them and I would have just stuck with my chimera intake but now I have the larger TB so I use the tube they offer for that. It all depends what you want for your application I have always went for the most power as always. The stock airboix mod is cool saves you money and its nice the other 2 intakes are good too more sound and brand preference, chimera is mine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have run all of them and I would have just stuck with my chimera intake but now I have the larger TB so I use the tube they offer for that. It all depends what you want for your application I have always went for the most power as always. The stock airboix mod is cool saves you money and its nice the other 2 intakes are good too more sound and brand preference, chimera is mine

Are you running your intake on a stock bore or a big bore kit?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have used it on both

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
388 Posts
I have a question concerning intake modifications.
My question specifically is which is better :

Modded airbox ( I believe this to be the best solution for an intake being that the cylinder is right below the intake and has a high probability of causing heat soak)

Or a dinger built intake - the longer one

And I mean specifically in real world applications where throttle position is very greatly and the bikes will be running hot due to high rpm use.

I suspect that in real world application the modern airbox would be superior due to its ability to flow more air that is specifically cool while maintaining a Plenum of air which will allow for greater power when varying throttle.

what’s your .02
I think you are overthinking things.

There is no turbo on the induction side to heat up the air. You also have a fuel injector aimed right into the intake port that cools down your intake charge.

The only time your engine will affect your intake air temps is at an idle with stale air that radiates towards the intake, stock or not, and that inturn may cause cylinder head temps to go up. Probably negligible unless you have a really high performance build.

As soon as you move that radiated heat is moving towards the back of the bike and is no issue.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think it mostly comes down to how much power you want to make and how much noise you are willing to tolerate.

From the dyno graphs I’ve seen, the Dinger Built will probably produce the most power. I’m running the Koso outer snorkel, BMC panel filter, Koso connecting tube, and DHM adapter installed on my stock airbox. It gets pretty good airflow and is still quiet. I would get more power from a Dinger Built, but I don’t want the additional noise.

Reactions: Adamconda

·
Registered
177 Posts
DingerBuilt short ram here, stock bore and piston (for now), mildly ported head (mostly just clean up), high lift cam & valves, and double valve springs. Pushing nearly 80mph @ about 11.5-12k rpm (depending on wind that day) with a 14t front sprocket (stock tooth rear), in the Florida HEAT. As previously stated, once moving, heat is not an issue and my bike pulls hard (after 9-9.5k ish rpm).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts