Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Vendor
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, just got back from another ride.

It's been 165 miles now on our Takegawa 181cc BBK.

This thing is amazing.

Totally transforms the bike, into what we all wish it had from the factory.

Monster low end torque and power through out the RPM's.

The kit was very easy to install.

While the directions may be in Japanese, the photos are very detailed and easy to follow, and of course these Videos should help answer any questions.

We are still breaking in the new piston and bore... so we have not gone to Rev Limit yet.
We want to properly seat the pistons, and let everything settle in.

The PCV and WBC2 have been adjusting fuel to compensate for the new larger bore on it's own.

We will be making a custom map for this application shortly to richen up the 80-100% TPS... once everything is settled in.

Key Points we love about this kit.

Low Cost with BIG Power
Easy to install
Everything included in the kit
Oil Bypass ports (to add optional oil cooler, if you want)
NO Cylinder Core Charge

The PCV and WBC2 are doing a fine job of keeping the A/F between 12.8 - 13.5
Although we have not gone to redline yet....... so that could change.
But... so far... so good.

View attachment 12329 Takegawa provided DYNO

BIG BORE KIT INSTALLATION PART 1 (the tear down) :

BIG BORE KIT INSTALLATION PART 2 (the build) :

One Really important thing to remember.
while, our Video shows it's really not that hard to install a Big Bore kit. It Still MUST be done correctly.
You can't just throw it together and say, "should be good enough.. "

It's very important to CLOCK the Rings correctly, or you will get oil bypass, or lubrication failure, which leads to engine Failure.

You also need to be very careful when installing the piston NOT to damage the rings (very easy to do.. if you aren't careful).

And careful not to scar the piston, or Cylinder Bore, or Rod, or journals.....etc.. during the tear down or assembly process.

And of course, use Assembly Lube, like we did in the Video.

And of course check valve clearance, if you install a cam shaft.

And Highly recommended to use Premium fuel to prevent knocking.

All of this isn't meant to scare anyone, but to make them aware, this isn't just bolting on a shock, or exhaust.
You have to use caution, take your time and really know what you are doing. or it could lead to failure.

And no one wants that.

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock fuel injector??????.

Keep us updated if pcx 150 injector is needed...

Thank you.

so far..
the LCD shows about 80% duty cycle Max on the injector ....

·
Vendor
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
235 Posts
Curious to see what your actual Dyno numbers are because a 4hp gain doesn't seem to impressive unless that is with stock exhaust and air filter setup.

We are getting about that with exhaust, tune, cam and intake.

Maybe I'm missing something. It's got to be more significant?? I'm hoping.

I'm sure the torque is substantially better though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
every digit on horse power / Torque gain , ain't that easy on single cylinder engine.
13 WHP for little engine i believe easy going for 100 + MPH
Follow your work Hard Racing =)

·
Registered
235 Posts
every digit on horse power / Torque gain , ain't that easy on single cylinder engine.
13 WHP for little engine i believe easy going for 100 + MPH
Follow your work Hard Racing =)
Your only gonna increase your top speed with gearing or increased RPM. The higher horsepower will just help get you there quicker. I'm not putting down hard racing in any way. They are doing an awesome job with tech support, reports, video tutorials, etc. they are testing a product for us and showing the results, it's not like they designed the kit. Granted it doesn't have a ported head (geez I hope not) but to be impressed with something that makes the same power as a smaller 108cc motor from 15 yrs ago is rather puzzling and depressing. But hell, for the money I'm not sure what to expect. Maybe we need to make an xr50 motor swap cause they make more power with less cc. Lol. I'm thinking once hard racing actually dynos the bike it will show a better power gain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If i'm running BBK 150cc+ i would running Strong CDI + CBR250R Injector / Throttle body + EFI Tuning + Port Polish

Trying to match element. lolz

just an idea

·
Registered
60 Posts
How did your gas mileage change? Im wanting a big bore but one thing I do not want is to stop at every gas station in sight. There is little in town riding where I am at most of my riding is in the upper rev range for extended periods of time.

·
Vendor
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did your gas mileage change? Im wanting a big bore but one thing I do not want is to stop at every gas station in sight. There is little in town riding where I am at most of my riding is in the upper rev range for extended periods of time.

MPG haven't changed much.

of course we aren't running the larger injector either.

while the piston size may have grown.. there is soo much more power and torque then before .. you don't have to rev the bike as much to go fast.

lower revs = less fuel usage.

We actually put a 16t front on just to keep the revs down.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Lol worried about a bike only getting 80 -90MPG vs 100MPG

My big bikes only got 35-40mpg

·
Vendor
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol worried about a bike only getting 80 -90MPG vs 100MPG

My big bikes only got 35-40mpg
Same here. The S1000RR gets around 40 ish.

But that's not bad for nearly 200 hp.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I used to have to fill up everyday commuting

120mi range, 60mi R/T commute, didn't want to get stuck out w my Aprilia

A lot of high hp bikes have terrible range, 100mi range is not unheard off

·
Registered
60 Posts
Right now Im getting 110mpg, and thats wide open just about everywhere. So sure if it drops to 90mpg no big deal. Im concerned if it gets to the 60-70 range.

My big bike has 4.5 gallons to deal with, if you were going to do motor work on your big bike and knew you were only going to get 25mpg you might have second thoughts.

But it would be good to know if the 181 BBK is getting in the 80-90 range then thats good no real concern there. Then the smaller BBKs will be less of a concern.

·
Vendor
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Currently just measured at 85 mpg... that's without the 16t installed.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts