Honda Grom banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm installing a clutch kit soon and wanted to double check with you guys to make sure I'm not missing something, or if you have suggestions on other parts/work that should be done while I have the case open doing the clutch swap. The purpose of this Grom is stunt riding.

Parts List:
  • SMR 6 disc clutch kit
  • SMR 60% springs
  • Chimera 6 bolt lifter plate
  • Modified OEM threaded (6-hole) pressure plate
  • OEM oil spinner gasket
  • OEM clutch cover gasket
  • Spinner/Clutch removal tool
  • Straight Up Pumps Takegawa oil pump

*** I tried to find that gear holder tool thing but I could only find overseas or in a bulk pack for like $200. If you have any leads please let me know.

I realize a couple of these things might be overkill like the pressure plate, but it's been taking a week or so to get parts in my area and I'm ready to get back on the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shit, looks all good to me, I plan on doing the exact same thing soon except 80% springs. I do a lot of clutch dumps and bullshit tho.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
*** I tried to find that gear holder tool thing but I could only find overseas or in a bulk pack for like $200. If you have any leads please let me know.
Your list looks good. You don't need the gear tool. Just stick a penny/quarter in the gear to prevent it from moving. Just take your time, and double check everything before you put it all back together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To tighten the clutch basket, I was able to use the rear brake and hold the subcage with one hand keeping the bike from moving to torque to 47 ft/lb. Since the oil spinner made the bike go the other direction (guess the brakes didn't hold as well in that direction), I had to use the penny method. I drilled a hole in the penny and put a string in it so I didn't lose it in case it fell down into the case.

Overall, the install went pretty smooth. It took about 4 or 5 hours since I labeled everything and took my time.

I haven't started the bike yet since it was 2am when I finished the install. I didn't want to wake the neighbors.

A couple observations:
  • The clutch cable (engine side) had to be tightened to where only a couple threads were protruding past the larger 14mm nut. I saw another post somewhere that had this same results installing the SMR 6 disc.
  • My Chimera lifter plate was really stubborn getting the bearing in. I had to use a rubber mallet to install it. I didn't have to beat the crap out of it but it was definitely not possible without a tool.

The next step is to check oil flow per the Straight Up Pumps instructions. I'm assuming what they mean is to pull off the small valve cover (with 2 bolts) and start the engine to make sure oil is getting in there right?

Oh and 1 more thing... When I pulled the clutch cover off, the plunger fell out because I used the clutch arm to help me remove a stubborn gasket/case. I just popped it back in the hole in the clutch case. Anything wrong with this? I read that you can "adjust" the baseline orientation of the clutch arm. Just making sure I didn't mess something up by just putting the plunger back in the hole if fell from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts