Honda Grom banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I already had my Yoshimura RS-2 fitted, finally got around to installing the cam, ECU, and intake this weekend. Cam was relatively simple, hardest part of the whole thing was the valve adjustment. Just getting the valves in spec (.003 intake/.004 exhaust) multiple times to have them tighten up as I tighten the lock nut down. I suspect I may have been over tightening them in hindsight, but I figured the last thing I would want is for one of those to come loose and for the valve clearance to go haywire. In the future I will probably put less torque on it when I tighten the lock nut down. Finally got them right, and on startup I have no ticking or anything. I can say without a doubt that a Chimera intake makes your bike SUBSTANTIALLY louder. Probably just as much the removal of the air box that would act as a noise dampener as the intake itself, but I already had the exhaust fitted, so with the intake the only change that would affect the sound of the bike, Jesus is this thing loud now. I even put the db reducer back in the pipe, which helped a little bit, but most of the noise is definitely coming from the intake area. So that should add a data point to consider for the debate I’ve seen on here about if intakes actually make our bikes louder or not. It’s “I can’t ride without ear pro under my Bell Star helmet” loud now.

Otherwise, no complaints, would do it again in a heartbeat. All told I think i took about 6 hours to remove and refit the bodywork, remove the airbox, install the intake, swap the cam, adjust the valves, and install the ECU. Didn’t bother with the ECU reset since CJR said it’s not required. Like most have already said with the TB cam, it has less power/grunt than stock below 5K, but then it takes off in a rush (by comparison, it’s still a Grom) above 7K. Haven’t done top speed tests, but I don’t really care for those kinda of things anyways. The bike is for sure dramatically faster above 5K RPMs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new found speed. If you don't already have one, consider a 14T sprocket. Cheap and makes a world of difference, especially up hills.
Yep already had that installed. I have a +1 rear sprocket and a new chain to install at some point too, I’m just waiting for my YSS shock to show up to do everything to the back end at once. Have the MNNTHBX bushings to install as well. 100% of my riding here in Okinawa is a 60 kph speed limit at most, so you can get away with 70-75 kph, but that’s still not even 50 mph. so I figured another tooth on the rear sprocket will be welcome and won’t make any difference for high speeds for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts