Honda Grom banner

Importing a Grom

9K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Aviator_alpha_victor 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a lurker that finally made an account to ask an odd question.

I'm in the US military and stationed in Japan. The fortuitous exchange rate means that I can get a Grom off of the showroom floor for ~$2750 before taxes. My question concerns the EPA and DOT as pertains to import and registration. Since the bike was made after 1977 and is less than 25 years old it is required to conform to all US requirements before it can be registered. Through my digging the only difference in international models I could find is the headlight, which I doubt a DMV will even notice.

I bow to your expert knowledge: Does anyone know if there are any other differences, most specifically in terms of emissions?

#2 ·
Can't you buy it thur like the military Exchange/store, when I was in the Navy we could buy motorcycle thur the Navy Exchange and ship it back to the USA. Might be able to go to anyone of the Military base over there and see what they have for military buying program. Good Luck

#4 ·
If it is just a matter of price, you can buy one here for about that. I paid 2800+ tax and doc equaling 3250 here. Now if you are trying to get it to ride while you're over there, that is a different matter altogether.

#5 · (Edited)
I would buy one over there ship it back as house hold goods and try to DMV it over here, if not use it as a race bike. We had one of our shipmate bring his motorcycle back from PI on board our ship the USS John S McCain DDG36, he had to grease the shit on the metal body parts and tied it to a section of the ship that the Capt allowed. I bought all my stereo gear "Sansui system with speakers" from Yokosuka Japan Naval Exchange", Good Luck on your choice

#6 ·
Does anyone know if there are any other differences, most specifically in terms of emissions?
US Groms have the charcoal canister that Euro MSX / Groms don't have, don't know about the Japanese version...
http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/49-grom-how-s-guides/2102-charcoal-canister-removal.html

Don't know if Japanese MSX has a switchable KMH / MPH speedo and if it's a requirement in the US.

Might be more simple to find a cheap second hand one, ride it and sale it when you leave. Buy a GROM in the states when you're back.

#8 ·
use vermont, get title if you can. take bike apart, send over as parts. However, a JDM grom probably isnt anything that special. I agree, get an NSR400 or TZR 250 or TDR250 while you are there, and have that shipped over. those here bring 8-15k used market.

#13 ·
Out here they have a sit down scooter class for racing particularly here in Okinawa I haven't seen too much bigger bike action on regular roadways but you see smaller scooters grom type bikes and dual sports all over as the roads are pretty narrow. My assumption is I'll find some local grom type groups here and I assume Japan is just like the states

#15 ·
Well Oki to Japan is essentially Hawaii to the US, it has its own culture and way of life. much more small town Island oriented from what I've seen with the occasional "big city" and a lot of open land as well (very green and baby blue beaches everywhere) I assume mainland has much more space and diverse areas, I'll let you know for sure next year when I take my first trip up that way ?

Back on topic though lol hopefully someone can chime in as I messaged Honda before posting here and still haven't gotten a response

#19 ·
all usaf soldiers i met had sell their cars in italy prior to back home... even who took his pontiac ended to sell it locally due to cost of re importing it in the USA vs vehicle value

its a lot of paper and waste of money for a cheap bike.. i wouldnt suffer such pain for less of 15000€ value vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.