Honda Grom banner

I'm thinking about opening a 125 online store

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pinknemo13 
#1 ·
I specialize in building eCommerce shops and now with a 125 in my garage it seems like a great area to get into. I was thinking about building an online shop for 125s (Grom, Z125, Monkey) USA based.

What kinds of accessories / mods would you guys like to see in a new online store?

I might be able to get them, I might not. It depends on what the suppliers have. I want to hear it! :blackgrom:

#2 ·
Are Grom owners not interested? I've been getting some interest on the Z125 forum. I could always focus the store more around Z125, it all depends on the community's level of interest.

What do you guys think? Are there any parts you would want to see in a new online store?

#6 ·
That's what I was hoping to figure out by consulting the community. I wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of SteadyGarage or MNNTHBX, but I think consulting the community and getting opinions from people who ride is a great place to start. Market research is an important first step in starting a business.

Thanks for the input guys. It seems like video tutorials are a great idea!

#4 ·
If you can get the latest go fast parts from Taiwan or Japan that we here in the USA can't get or are not aware off, then your business will help the 125 community esp if we don't have to pay the overseas shipping cost and get it at the same price as over seas.

The bottom line is if the product has a how too install, setup, calibrate, etc, on a video tutorial in plain English and also product instruction in plain English and not in Japanese or Chinese.

#8 ·
Thanks for the insight. As I said, I wouldn't be competing with those larger brands. Coming to the community first may have been a bad move, I haven't done my usual steps in deciding if the market is worth getting into yet. I think I let my passion for my bike cloud my judgement a little bit. However this has told me exactly what I needed to know; The Z125 has room for a new shop, and the Grom doesn't.

My question was more to find out if there's something missing or hard to get from the shops out there already. On the Z125 forums they requested custom decals and Japanese imported products from Webike to the United States. I'm going to see what I can do for them. Another example I can think of are long CNC clutch/brake levers. I am going to see if my vendor has them for the Z.

I was also told not to be a forum supporting vendor. I think that's good advice. Getting business advice from people who don't own a business isn't really going to help.

Thanks Grom Guys! Take care.

#9 ·
It sounds like we may have struck a cord with you and I apologize if that's the case.

My advice was spoken as a current business owner of several successful ecommerce shops and a degree in Business/Marketing. I can absolutely relate in the passion you have for the Grom and I've found myself considering a business in this market as well- It's just not a good move unless you are extremely specialized.

I would say you are correct in your findings of the Z125 market vs the Grom. the Z125 market is seemingly limited and growing at a much slower rate than the Grom market. There's still room to capitalize on that market if you can establish yourself beyond what current vendors have. Right now, the options for Grom specific general vendors is very well covered, so don't take it personal.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Thanks for the insight. As I said, I wouldn't be competing with those larger brands. Coming to the community first may have been a bad move, I haven't done my usual steps in deciding if the market is worth getting into yet. I think I let my passion for my bike cloud my judgement a little bit. However this has told me exactly what I needed to know; The Z125 has room for a new shop, and the Grom doesn't.
Because they aren't all that wildly popular. Most dealerships near me have an abundance of them that aren't selling all that quickly.
Also, many people bought them, realized that they aren't very useful since they are so limited on size and speed, so they sold them used. the used market for them is booming, while the new market.. not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.