Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing the Kitaco clutch cover mod on my 2017 Grom and stupidly decided to use the penny in the gears method in lieue of doing things properly, it was going well until it wasn't, and I lost the penny straight through the holes below the clutch basket.

I'm just trying to work out what my next steps are now...I don't really want to make things worse by trying to pull anything further apart, is there any hope of retrieving this or am I going to need to get a mobile mechanic around? Anyone else had the misfortune of doing this?

Booo me :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean it went into the case halves?
Umm not sure of exact terminology of where it went, this is the first time I've really opened the Grom up other than an Oil change, but it went into this hole (yellow), right by the oil screen :

I believe it is here (yellow arrow) in Grom manual :

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
672 Posts

If it drops too far it goes near the sump.

There is the opening by the shift shaft. I'd at least get a flashlight and look below the clutch basket.

Are you sure it isn't behind the clutch basket?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
Have you tried leaning the bike that direction and see if gravity removes it for you?

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
95 Posts
Penny for your thoughts. Sorry, I couldn't resist.😁. Maybe that tool with the thin little wire grabbers can pull it. Mechanics use them to grab fallen bolts,nuts,etc from tight places. Can't think of the precise name for the tool. Use a flashlight 1st and try to see it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
@Muntburger put your bike in gear, lift the handlebars up to stand your bike up vertical and the penny may fall back to the bottom of the case and you can pull it out of the kickstarter hole, the one in the lower back of the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Muntburger put your bike in gear, lift the handlebars up to stand your bike up vertical and the penny may fall back to the bottom of the case and you can pull it out of the kickstarter hole, the one in the lower back of the case.
Thanks a lot for your help Chillis, the pictures you posted are very helpful. With a bit of shaking about I can actually see the penny now as below only problem is it wont fit through that hole so I either try and somehow pass it back up or try and shake it back down as you said...

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks a lot for your help Chillis, the pictures you posted are very helpful. With a bit of shaking about I can actually see the penny now as below only problem is it wont fit through that hole so I either try and somehow pass it back up or try and shake it back down as you said...

View attachment 89975
Not sure how steady you are and what visibility you have of the hole it fell through but you could take something like a paperclip or soldering wire and get some glue on the end and touch to the penny and pull it out. You'd want to be careful and patient not to touch anywhere but the penny. Once cured, fish it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how steady you are and what visibility you have of the hole it fell through but you could take something like a paperclip or soldering wire and get some glue on the end and touch to the penny and pull it out. You'd want to be careful and patient not to touch anywhere but the penny. Once cured, fish it out.
Yeah was thinking of that idea too, just wasn't sure A) how it would react to oil, and B) the risk of making things worse by putting foreign substances in my engine. I managed to get a paperclip under it on one of my attempts but failed trying to push it back up the ledge to the largeer hole. The more I think about it the tipping vertical idea might be the only real option. The hole at the bottom fits a penny fairly easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bloody hell, think the dangling it upside down and shaking it might have actually worked! Found an oil covered penny on the ground after shaking it and can't see it anywhere in the back of the sump area (or whatever that's called) anymore after about an hour of looking. I was using another penny to test the size of the hole but I think they're all accounted for. Think I might try rolling it round the block a few times and hope my engine doesn't explode.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Bloody hell, think the dangling it upside down and shaking it might have actually worked! Found an oil covered penny on the ground after shaking it and can't see it anywhere in the back of the sump area (or whatever that's called) anymore after about an hour of looking. I was using another penny to test the size of the hole but I think they're all accounted for. Think I might try rolling it round the block a few times and hope my engine doesn't explode.
Nothing like an easy fix when the threat of hard work lingers!

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
95 Posts
The Mystery Penny was found ! That is awesome news Munt and a lesson for any of us that might do a clutch cover upgrade in the future. Glad you got it out the easy way instead of the alternative. That would be a real PITA. One last bit of cheer I leave you with; "A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned." 😉

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
Reactions: Chillis
1 - 20 of 20 Posts