Honda Grom banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
So I installed the Nology coil on my Finbro 183 and wow, big difference in all 4 gears. seems to have better pull through out the rpm and throttle range. I like it a lot.

So for the hardware run down on the Finbro 183, heads ported to match Koso 34mm throttle and inlet tube, 6 hole type B finbro provided F/I, spark plug CR9EIX, PCV-WB02 fuel manage system, Finbro 183-2v full exhaust system, 16/32-Michelin 140/7-12 tire, DIY airbox mod with Koso 30mm rear rubber hose and BMC airbox, Kitaco clutch side cover with Takegawa HD oil pump, Sex Machine clutch disc system with EBC HD clutch spring, DCR 170 cam and DCR duel valve spring last of all Finbro provided bigger gas hose.

Like I said I'm very pleased with this coil compared to the OEM coil when using any BBK kit.

I have the Nology coil on both of my groms and very happy with the performance gains.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
got mine on. is it better? a bit but any perf coil would be. only saw a 2-4 point change in the fuel maps. i liek it but its not a magic bullet.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
got mine on. is it better? a bit but any perf coil would be. only saw a 2-4 point change in the fuel maps. i liek it but its not a magic bullet.
wait till you go WOT on a long freeway, try different spark plug heat range, I'm waiting for my CR9HIX plugs, I have CR9EIX and I want to see if I have a 1/2 reach of the HIX plug vers the 3/4 inch reach of the EIX.

Need to now change around my mapping to see how much more HP I can get esp in 4th gear.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I did. eh. then rode it to work today. then again my bike ran pretty strong before. the high rpm is def a bit cleaner but really no huge difference. it revs out in the lower gears a bit stronger. the midrange is better, but again, no miracles. glad I did it, sure,but pretty sure any aftermarket hipo coil would have done the same thing.

one note, I don't like the way the wire fit the tiny ass plug on the koso 4v, so i put a small oring at the base of he plug to keep the boot from wiggling around.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
So worth the $100 odd?
I think so, and just Zip tie it to a cable bundle or the old coil mounting hole until you come up with a cool bracket idea.

Helped out my 1-3 gear and mid range and sure as hell helped out my WOT, plus was cheaper than the other brand.

·
Registered
255 Posts
one note, I don't like the way the wire fit the tiny ass plug on the koso 4v, so i put a small oring at the base of he plug to keep the boot from wiggling around.
are you running a terminal nut on the spark plug? My Nology cap feels pretty secure on the plug.

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
of course... however, on the 4v koso170 you have to run a super tiny sparkplug and the boot doesn't neck down small enough to sit against the porcelain
The FinBrah runs that head. Never noticed that but worth checking out. BTW I hate this plug. Tiny an expensive AF

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
In my experience, the plug 'snap' will wear out w/out the support from the boot, or possibly arc down the plug on damp days. this needs to be isolated. i'll eventually come up w/something for this. I have experienced this on other bikes that ran the ngk style with the lower rubber boot not installed and the boot rattled around and then either lost connection or arced down the plug causing a wicked misfire.

also had a set of msd wires on my wifes 72 maverick do this, the plugs looked like laser light show.
I almost got stranded on the top of deals gap on an rd400 like that once as well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
got mine on. is it better? a bit but any perf coil would be.
I installed my Dynatek DCK1-11Z Coil Kit last night. Mark was right - it's a bit bitter, but not a major difference. The bracket that comes with this kit is junk. I attached mine to the stock front frame connection. On the back connection, I bent a 1/2" wide piece of aluminum bar and bolted it on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
sorry to try and revive an old thread but I actually just bought a dyna setup from another member but cannot seem to find an install guide online even dyna's website 404's and has no link to a download. Is this upgrade simply plug and play in place of the old ignition coil or??

41 - 60 of 61 Posts