Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Got this ignition installed today. Definitely seems to have helped up top. Seem like the bike is pulling a lot cleaner.

Also note,the NGK cap is not needed as this wife cap already accepts the terminal nut. So all the koso 4v head users just need to install a terminal nut to your spark plug. Also; the mount holes do it line up and seem to be for 8mm bolts instead of 10mm. A simple bracket needs to be made although I just zip tied mine in for the test.
I knew you would notice a difference

·
Vendor
4,003 Posts

We've sold a pretty good amount of these, with great feedback from customers.

Dynatek High Performance Ignition Coil - Honda GROM OG & SF
High-output MiniCoil includes:
All necessary mounting hardware, wiring adapters and spark plug wires

Fits: '13-17 Honda GROM OG / Grom SF
>> High Performance Ignition Pack <<

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
not really. I have mine advanced on my 170 in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear (around 2 degrees up to 7k, then 1 to redline) and slightly in 4th. (1 degree up to about 8k in 4th). MOST will say this doest help and is risky. I disagree but that's my opinion. however, to advance timing on the adjustable coil, you would have to move the pickup a bit then adjust at the coil

the real issue is as stated, wide open top end at high rpm. the stock coils will fall off here

this is a pretty good article on coils. worth a read.

Ignition Coil - Tech - Terms & Definitions - Hot Rod Network

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Interesting. I assume the HardRacing one (HARD RACING PERFORMANCE / HARD CORE SPORTS SHOPPING CART - DCK1-11Z Dynatek High Performance Ignition Coil - Honda GROM '13-'15) and the equivalent Nology High Performance ignition coil from Steady (https://www.steadygarage.com/store/nology-hotwires-ignition-coil-spark-plug-wire-kit-honda-grom-125-kawasaki-z125) just increase the spark. Is there a need to advance/retard the timing with the 170 V4 kit?
And one brand is cheaper and sold out on back order

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
It wasn't a minute ago. It was listed for $118. Someone must have been reading this and bought the last one.
I ordered two and was so pose to be delivered today looking at the shipping tracker, but nothing in the mail box and I was hoping to test it today. I guess it will come tomorrow.

Oops it is coming via UPS and not the USPS "US mail" so I have a chance to see it today. Says it on the truck in Sunnyvale, Calif at 3:30am this morning

Delivered 3:30pm, both of them, time to install, first one goes on the BrianS 170 since it is out for this week ride. By the way that is a Tahitian 8 string ukulele, it does not increase HP in the grom but it sure pisses off the neighbors when I play it.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Installed the Nology coil and it took next to no time at all. Only problem is that mounting the new coil you have to make new brackets to mount the coil right now I have a couple of zip-tie to hold the coil in.

had to ground the cable

the two holes on the Nology coil I used to run Zip-tie and secured it to a cable bundle for temporary testing

Looks like the min spark plug gap should not exceed .9mm ".035 inch" or manufacturers gap which ever is smaller.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Is there any performance difference between the Nology and Dynatek coil? It looks like the Nology is grounded better, but I'm not sure it would make a difference and I don't necessarily want a giant ground strap hanging off my head or cylinder.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Is there any performance difference between the Nology and Dynatek coil? It looks like the Nology is grounded better, but I'm not sure it would make a difference and I don't necessarily want a giant ground strap hanging off my head or cylinder.
I don't mind the ground strap at all, I'm not going for looks but for performance in my motor, sort of like a good looking girl friend or wife if they can't clean house, cook or roll around in the hay what is the use of having it.

I even installed a new NGK9EIX spark plug, next is to redo my map and change around the fuel table and maybe add some timing in the map.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I said 'fuckit' and bought the last one. i've seen these before but no direct experience. Im expecting about 50% snake oil on the claims, but who knows. so time to experiment. I'll mount it and monitor the auto tune. IF it does any thing, it should reflect in the maps. Typically you will see a need for more fuel with a weaker spark. so, in theory and my past experiences, the tables should lean out a tad and rev out a bit more. if nothing notable or its just weird and fussy, i'll just se on of the dyna coils I have laying around from other projects and sell he nology one off or store it n 'inventory'.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
So far on my very short ride around the block with the new Nology coil I notice that my A/F would go to 14-15 at 50% throttle and normally I would see about 13.3-13.6 so I have to go on a longer ride to see what kind of performance I'll have on WOT and just cruzing. I think I might have to replace the spark plug from NGK9EIX to something like what Big Chris is using which is a HIX series.

The only diff between the EIX and HIX is the reach of the threads inside the spark plug hole, the EIX is 3/4 inch or 19mm and the HIX is 1/2 inch or 12mm, same heat range, only thing that puzzle me is that the resistance is 5K ohm on both

The Nology info says tht the HotWires coil will provide the largest performance gain when non-resistor spark plugs with a resistance of less than .5 ohms, are used.

that seems to defeat the purpose of using the Nology coil.

Yet NGK has this
NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance.

Now I'm really confused

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
you have auto tune? let er run. btw I had my stuff backwards up there, sorry. should do exactly what yours is doing, require more fuel due to a more complete burn

keurig at work is broken and im a bit 'underpowered' this am :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
Out of curiosity and since I know know little about coils, I emailed both Nology and Dynatek asking why their respective coils/wires were better. Here's what I got back:

From Nology-
"There is no comparison.. Our coils put out 45,000 volts and our wires are much better performing and have better results than dynatek."

From Dynatek-
"Thank you for your interest in Dynatek performance electronics.
What is funny here is that you can take any $29.95 coil and make it produce
45,000 volts of output. All you need is a way to provide a huge amount of
current and an extended dwell time. In the real world, attached to an ignition
system, this is not possible. The coils actual output will be based on: A-The
ignitions ability to charge the coil, or dwell time and B-The coils primary
inductance, or ability to flow current. Yes, some coils are designed and built
better than others, such as the case with Dynatek coils. I have never used any
Nology products, but I have never heard of any coil company who suggest their
coils will out perform a Dynatek coil or from any shop who has suggested this
as well when comparing coil quality and real world spark output.
As for plug wires, your machine, and most OEM manufacturers, use a decades old
design copper core plug wire, meaning it has a special metal center conductor
comprised of stranded metal. Unfortunately, a copper core wire from any
company will not perform better than another for this reason. Better results?
Highly unlikely.
As for your application, we do have a coil kit available, part number DCK1-11
for the 125 Grom. All I can suggest is to perhaps try each companies coil and
you can decide for yourself, as thousands of other customers have, that
Dynatek has the best coils in the aftermarket.
By the way, our coil kit includes everything needed for installation. As our
coil may be slightly larger than the OEM coil, due to the primary windings, so
you will receive our high output Miniature series 3.0 ohm coil, mounting
bracket, hardware and a new plug wire. Your factory resister cap will be
reattached to our wire end."

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
From Nology-
"There is no comparison.. Our coils put out 45,000 volts and our wires are much better performing and have better results than dynatek."
ask if they have any data to back that claim up.
As for the 45k volts, congrats to them. For a few hundred bucks i can generate 500,000 volts using only my hand. (well, itd require a lot of cranking)

Props to dynatek for actually giving you more than a 'ours are the best' response.

Makes me think of these... https://www.amazon.com/1-5m-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HHAA6
To the audiophile, this $10,000 Ethernet cable apparently makes sense | Ars Technica

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
ask if they have any data to back that claim up.
As for the 45k volts, congrats to them. For a few hundred bucks i can generate 500,000 volts using only my hand. (well, itd require a lot of cranking)

Props to dynatek for actually giving you more than a 'ours are the best' response.

Makes me think of these... https://www.amazon.com/1-5m-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HHAA6
To the audiophile, this $10,000 Ethernet cable apparently makes sense | Ars Technica
I think it can be done if you have the right electronic circuit and capacitor discharge system. I seen a lot of stuff on government projects that makes the 45,000 discharge voltage possible.

When I went to electronic school in the Navy there was a lot of theory we had to learn about different circuits in electronics up to RADAR theory and RADIO theory.

With the modern technology we can see those new technology to further the world of automotive and motorcycles and other industrial engines.

This link info is the best in explaining the coil and discharge systems
http://doclecture.net/1-32455.html

Here is some early info on those systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_discharge_ignition

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
THE trick isn't to make 45k, but 45k cleanly and repeatedly at high rpm. ie, that article I listed goes into this pretty well. especially regarding the msd systems. this is why I decided to blow 120 bucks on a coil. the capacitance part does make sense but I agree, prob somewhat snake oil with the nology coil

on that note, heres some food for thought: on some older bikeswith cdi;s, I particular large kawaski triple 2-strokes (H2),we can squeeze 130 hp out of 44 year old 750aicooled 2 stroke. one of the BEST coils for this are those cheap scooter coils due to 60k voltage and the ability to rise and fall very quickly. they do perform as well as top dollar coils in the same applications.

that being said, dynatek ha top notch customer service and tech support. ive dealt with them for years with no issues.

I just had a bit of spare $ in my pocket and want to see for myself. :)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts