Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here upgraded to a performance ignition coil? If so, are there gains to be had at high rpm?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ive had to upgrade the coil because i blew out the spark several times on my turbo setup and the nology coil and wire works best. Even on my NA setup the nology coil and wire setup feels much better. I have installed them on a few other bikes and they like it as well.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had to upgrade the coil because i blew out the spark several times on my turbo setup and the nology coil and wire works best. Even on my NA setup the nology coil and wire setup feels much better. I have installed them on a few other bikes and they like it as well.
Thanks for the response! I ordered the Nology. Being that I have a high compression motor, I think I will benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Did you get the wire also or just the coil? If just the coil i suggest a different wire from the stock

·
Registered
255 Posts
While you are at it, order a NGK LB05EP resistor spark plug cap and some spark plug terminal nuts. It makes for anfar
more solid and secure connection between the plug and cap.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
that's pretty cool. however, keep in mind it can only delay the signal (retard the timing). it cant advance it unless you move the pickup as your baseline has to physically be able to trigger at max advance.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
While you are at it, order a NGK LB05EP resistor spark plug cap and some spark plug terminal nuts. It makes for anfar
more solid and secure connection between the plug and cap.
When changing my plug, this was one of the first things I did. A little spring loaded wire on some threads wasn't enough for me.

also because i destroyed my original cap because i thought the spark plug terminal was stuck inside of the boot. Who would have known they make boots that are meant to only barely attach to the spark plug? Whoops.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
that's pretty cool. however, keep in mind it can only delay the signal (retard the timing). it cant advance it unless you move the pickup as your baseline has to physically be able to trigger at max advance.
Where do you see that? The picture on the site shows advance and retard

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the Nology coil on the Grom. You could feel that the engine is smoother. It has more torque throughout the rpm range, and it improved the idle. My 02 sensor is not working now so I can't comment how it affected the air/fuel ratio. I recommend it to those after every bit of performance...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I installed the Nology coil on the Grom. You could feel that the engine is smoother. It has more torque throughout the rpm range, and it improved the idle. My 02 sensor is not working now so I can't comment how it affected the air/fuel ratio. I recommend it to those after every bit of performance...
Already ordered

·
Registered
255 Posts
Got this ignition installed today. Definitely seems to have helped up top. Seem like the bike is pulling a lot cleaner.

Also note,the NGK cap is not needed as this wife cap already accepts the terminal nut. So all the koso 4v head users just need to install a terminal nut to your spark plug. Also; the mount holes do it line up and seem to be for 8mm bolts instead of 10mm. A simple bracket needs to be made although I just zip tied mine in for the test.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts