Honda Grom banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ride my Grom a lot. Most miles are racked up around town and on the back roads. Yesterday I decided to ride the Grom to my girlfriend's house, which is about an hour and a half ride, and is mostly highway. In hindsight, keeping the bike at 1-5 mph under rev limiter for over an hour was probably not a good idea...She did great though!lol It can't be good for these little motors to be so revved out for so long. Thoughts?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Girlfriend ... 1 hour on the highway ... please don't say PA lol

Serious Josh, you're fine and you work at a Honda shop, you should know you can't kill a Honda! Hell I haven't put oil in my Honda powered mower in 9 years ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swartzie, not Pa.lol Elkton, md. Oh trust me, I'm a firm believer in Honda, I just get paranoid.lol Truth be told, if the motor blows, it just means I've got an excuse to throw in the Yuminashi kit sitting next to my desk at work....lol

All that aside, I was actually kinda proud of it when I got back. Bouncing off rev limiter, and still purrs like a kitten.lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
WOT on 3000 mile trip, basically redline for 8-10 hours a day with short stops for gas. Grom is fine and can handle it no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine gets used in 2 ways:
Riding to work, WOT on highways.
Riding on the track, where I'm working towards being able to keep it WOT everywhere. The bike is so little a good rider should be able to.

If you feel bad, look at the price of engine components from Hondapart-direct. The parts for this bike are insanely cheap compared to any other bike I've owned. I don't think I'm going to blow it up anytime soon, but I'm also not really concerned about it like I am with my other bikes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The bike has been out long enough now, that if you were going to see engine problems...blown or bent valves, broken piston rods, etc. you would have seen it. The engine is bulletproof. I would change oil and check valves a little more riding at top speed so long.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Ride it like you stole it is my motto, but I do wish I had at lease 20hp so I can beat these Vespa scooters that clean my Grom on the expressway. Oh well once I get the BrianS 170cc kit installed with the port/polish/big intake valve with duel valve springs, Crower cam and PCV with autotune I should be able to give those Vespas a run for their money. Oh forgot about the 16T counter sprocket that should do the trick.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was hesitant at first revving my Grom too much but after reading this thread, I took a trip from Hayward to San Jose, CA, two up, WOT at times and I felt confident that it could take it. Rode like a champ even with two up. Crossed the Dumbarton bridge at about 55mph cruising speed. It was awesome

·
Registered
111 Posts
You won't see the damage you did to that engine until it's gotten many more thousands of miles on it. You most certainly did damage it, though. This forum is literally filled with testosterone-laced kids who like to thrash an engine to the limits and then justify the behavior as a "fast break-in" procedure ... actually, not just this forum either.

The engineers at Honda and all the other major brands of motorcycle unanimously recommend a gentle break-in period. You didn't do that. So, as soon as it starts knocking, fill it up with 20W50 and put it up for sale. Happens several hundreds of times every single day ... and the country's literally filled with suckers, so you won't have any trouble unloading it. After all, it's a cool-looking, cute bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
WTF are you talking about Harpo?

Anyways... Honda probably spent millions in R&D on this bike. They aren't going to cut corners and ruin their investment.

Here's and interesting fact. You do more damage in the few seconds of starting than you do in 3,000 miles of driving.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Harpo, I did break the bike in easy....At the time of this post, I had almost 2500 miles on it. During the break in period, I was very gentle and changed the oil every 50 or so miles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts