Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some bar end mirrors and I was going to install them today, problem is, even with a power drill I cannot get those screws to come out. All my effort is starting to make the area where the philips screw driver goes in about to be completely stripped.

I'm just going to end over to lowes, pick up a corded drill with way more torque and a stripped bolt removing kit and just purchase 2 new bolts. Anyone have any idea what the size of these bolts are so I don't need to make 2 trips?

· Registered
3,802 Posts
I was able to remove them with a #2 Philips driver in an Impact Wrench. One quick blow with a hammer and they backed right out.

Reactions: PAgrom

· Registered
1,498 Posts
So I bought some bar end mirrors and I was going to install them today, problem is, even with a power drill I cannot get those screws to come out. All my effort is starting to make the area where the philips screw driver goes in about to be completely stripped.

I'm just going to end over to lowes, pick up a corded drill with way more torque and a stripped bolt removing kit and just purchase 2 new bolts. Anyone have any idea what the size of these bolts are so I don't need to make 2 trips?
did u know anout the divet hole on the bottom of the bars. try to move the grips 1 1/2" away from ends so u can see it.

just drill a hole in the divet, and the bar end plugs comes out!

i could be wrong but if u want install the bar end adapters, u dont need to mess with bar ends at all!

i realized this after messing with their removal and inserting the adapter for the first time.

· Registered
30 Posts
I was able to remove them with a #2 Philips driver in an Impact Wrench. One quick blow with a hammer and they backed right out.
Use a PH#3 as anything smaller will likely strip. A trick to help if they are stripping is to use a flat rubber band between the screw and the driver head. That should prevent you from stripping them further.

For reference:

· Registered
1,137 Posts
did u know anout the divet hole on the bottom of the bars. try to move the grips 1 1/2" away from ends so u can see it.

just drill a hole in the divet, and the bar end plugs comes out!

i could be wrong but if u want install the bar end adapters, u dont need to mess with bar ends at all!

i realized this after messing with their removal and inserting the adapter for the first time.
Or buy a certain type of bar from Driven and and it bolts right up to that OE bar plug

I made a thread about that

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've been running around trying to figure some stuff out on what I could do and heres what ended up happening.

I took vice grips to the melt bar end protectors as a last ditch effort and the screws loosened right up. I picked up some M6x60 1.00 pitch screws and they went in like a charm. To keep space between my bars and the actual mirror mount I put a half in spacer inbetween the grip and mount so it wouldn't prevent me from being able to use my throttle. I'm going to put some lock tight on when I go out tomorrow.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or buy a certain type of bar from Driven and and it bolts right up to that OE bar plug

I made a thread about that
I planned to do this until I noticed I could get a whole kit for $18 off amazon. The bolt it came with was 8mm. I'm going to take a quick 10 mile spin to see how they hold up, I mostly wanted just the 7/8 mount so I can eventually get those mirrors you showed.

· Registered
69 Posts
Use a #3 phillips, i was able to take mine off by hand, and needed to use an impact driver on another grom. Just need to break the loc tight... And using a drill is a bad idea in my opinion it will just strip the screw fast

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto

Finally got them mounted, I have a EJK controller and flush front turn signal coming in monday that i'll be throwing on it until I patiently wait for either the 181cc or 170cc BBK's to arrive.

Vagabond fender eliminator, Mnnthbx exhaust and $18 bar end mirrors off amazon that I made work with the existing thread.

· Registered
580 Posts
What am I missing here.....
The bar end plug (I.D. thread) is welded in the bars. The divet as called, is the welded area.You can drill it out with a drill that is big enough to drill out the weld area of the divet. The bar end plug will come out if you get the weld removed by drilling.

Having said this, listen to what RACER-X said because I drilled the bars and could have bought the mirrors with an adapter that bolts to the stock welded bar end plugs. (no drilling)
Plain and simple.:big smile:

· Registered
30 Posts
Use a #3 phillips, i was able to take mine off by hand, and needed to use an impact driver on another grom. Just need to break the loc tight... And using a drill is a bad idea in my opinion it will just strip the screw fast

Edited my original post as trainerted is correct that PH#3 is the correct size to use.

Glad you were able to eventually break them free.

· Registered
164 Posts
If anyone is interested, I made a VERY crude drawing of how I put my bar end mirror on without removing the threaded piece from the factory handlebars. My bar end mirror looks like the one pictured here. With this mirror you have the option to mount the mirror above, below, or to the side of the handlebars. The weights are "stepped" for lack of a better word (just machined to 3 different diameters), and using a grinder I removed the piece that would go into the handlebar. This left me with the weight and just the first "step". This could be done with a Dremel or even a hacksaw (for those with limited tool resources).

Motorcycle accessories Tire Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting

· Registered
163 Posts
I think the problem most are having is that they are using a PH #2. As stated above this is a #3 screwt and using a #3 PH I also was able to remove mine by hand. I found some cheap bar ends on ebay (item# 201020305619, but were $25 a bit ago so look around) that luckily used the same sized screw, so I removed all the spacer stuff, added a washer to create a little more separation because the throttle side rubbed, and they were literally bolt on, or in if you will. I will try and post a couple pics soon.

· Registered
293 Posts
I think the problem most are having is that they are using a PH #2. As stated above this is a #3 screwt and using a #3 PH I also was able to remove mine by hand.
I would bet anything this is it. They aren't even stuck that tight from the factory, but the wrong tool for the job will get you every time.

· Registered
1 Posts
To get your bar ends off without stripping them- heat the Phillips screw with a torch. The factory puts loctite on those screws so they don't come out from vibration. Heating them up will loosen the loctite just enough to get em out. Good luck.
Oh yeah just a tip, hot metal looks a lot like cold metal.

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Hand held impact driver with a #3 Phillips. One firm tap and those screws come right out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.