1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I’ve got a dilemma:

So my fiancé and I are newish riders: I bought a Honda Grom and he got a KP Lifan. He felt the quality difference between the Grom and Lifan, so decided he wanted a new bike. Instead of getting another mini bike, he traded the Lifan in for a KTP 390 Duke. Don’t get me wrong, the Duke is awesome, but when we ride together, the Grom just can’t keep up. Because of this, I’d like to get another bike comparable to his, but he wants me to get rid of the Grom...not because he doesn’t like it, but he doesn’t want me to have two bikes for space and financial issues.

I love my Grom as I’m sure many of you do, too. What would any of you do in my shoes???? Realistically, I need a more powerful bike, but it’s a Grom!!!! How can you want to get rid of it???!!!

please help

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,419 Posts
Tell him to ride slower, I ride my Grom with a buddy who has a CBR1000RR. He enjoys riding with me so he maintains a pace I can keep up with.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agreed. If your hubby doesn't want to ride at a comfortable pace for you and the Grom meebee it's time to find a new riding buddy...:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
228 Posts
We have both bikes at home between my wife and I, a Grom and a Duke 390. The KTM has 3x the displacement and power. You could spend a bunch of money to make the Grom faster... but i think your fiancé should be a little more accommodating.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses, guys. It’s not so much that he’s unwilling to ride slower, but that when I’m on the Grom, he feels it’s restricting us to certain roadways. There’s a lot of higher-speed roads in our immediate area, so we typically avoided those spots when we both had the mini bikes and kept riding around the same local backroads and neighborhoods. Now that he has the Duke, he wants to explore more and really wants me to upgrade so that I don’t feel unsafe wondering if I can keep up with traffic or not.

Ninelives17 and CDN Grom, when you ride with your buddy and wife, respectively, what speeds are the Groms averaging? What kinds of roadways do you go on together? My fiancé keeps saying it’s the Grom that’s holding me back, but I wonder if I’m just trying to be overly cautious too not wanting to be put in a scary situation. I always worry about the Grom’s take off time versus more powerful bikes, and don’t want to get into trouble being in the wrong place at the wrong time with my little 125cc engine. Needless to say, I don’t want to sell it!!!!

My argument now is that I want to buy a second bike, but then he points our lack of space and my finances, lol......hitting me where it hurts!!!!! Haha nah, but for curiosities sake, he’s been posting it online to see how much we could get for it potentially, and now that he’s getting offers, he’s putting the pressure on me to sell :/

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. If your hubby doesn't want to ride at a comfortable pace for you and the Grom meebee it's time to find a new riding buddy...:ROFLMAO:
😂 lol, well I can’t replace him!!! But I do need to meet more riders. We went to a restaurant/bar the other night and there was a Grom parked out front, and I was so bummed not knowing who the rider was inside!!! No blatantly obvious gear or helmet hair was standing out to me!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have both bikes at home between my wife and I, a Grom and a Duke 390. The KTM has 3x the displacement and power. You could spend a bunch of money to make the Grom faster... but i think your fiancé should be a little more accommodating.
I’ve thought about getting mods for the Grom, but his stance is that the money spent on that could just be invested in a bike that’s already going to be faster/ more powerful out the gate.

Does your wife ride the 390? I wish I could try it out but I’m too short! 😣

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’ve thought about getting mods for the Grom, but his stance is that the money spent on that could just be invested in a bike that’s already going to be faster/ more powerful out the gate.

Does your wife ride the 390? I wish I could try it out but I’m too short! 😣
We don't ride together, she's still a novice rider and our kids are too young still so we ride separately at different times. She doesn't ride the 390 although that had been the plan originally when we bought it. I had put a lowering kit on it initially but it was still a bit too tall for her to feel comfortable on as a beginner (she's 5'1").

It's a tough call - if you intend to ride together most of the time, you probably should get something closer in power. Not sure what else is out there that has as low a seat height though. Maybe one of the smaller Hondas? You could always buy another GROM later when finances allow for a third bike perhaps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I started riding small bores after buying a Honda Passport C-70 for .99 on eBay (no kidding!!) and repowering it with a Lifan 125 motor. On a lark one Sunday I decided to ride it to our usual lunch gathering and had a ball on it. At that point I'd already been doing most of my traveling on country roads and figured out that I didn't need a 650 anymore at the speeds I was averaging so going with a small bore really wasn't all that big a jump.

Where my riding life changed was the reaction from my riding "friends" who first thought of my little bikes as a curiosity and later got downright angry towards me as I abandoned "big bikes". The last time I had dinner with some of these guys they got absolutely nasty about my choice of bikes. Why? Dunno. It would probably take a psychologist to analyze why they got that way but I think a lot of it centered around the idea that I'd somehow broken the Man Code by getting off the big bike train with it's ever increasing displacement and weight.

I'm constantly harassed about getting a "real" bike but to be honest I can't see that ever happening again. I have a lot more fun on my Monkey and K-Pipe (along with the Lifanized Passport and '65 Trail 90). Are small bores really that limiting? I don't think so. You just have to be willing to take the Path Less Traveled and stay off the autobahn.

Reactions: Konoseiya

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started riding small bores after buying a Honda Passport C-70 for .99 on eBay (no kidding!!) and repowering it with a Lifan 125 motor. On a lark one Sunday I decided to ride it to our usual lunch gathering and had a ball on it. At that point I'd already been doing most of my traveling on country roads and figured out that I didn't need a 650 anymore at the speeds I was averaging so going with a small bore really wasn't all that big a jump.

Where my riding life changed was the reaction from my riding "friends" who first thought of my little bikes as a curiosity and later got downright angry towards me as I abandoned "big bikes". The last time I had dinner with some of these guys they got absolutely nasty about my choice of bikes. Why? Dunno. It would probably take a psychologist to analyze why they got that way but I think a lot of it centered around the idea that I'd somehow broken the Man Code by getting off the big bike train with it's ever increasing displacement and weight.

I'm constantly harassed about getting a "real" bike but to be honest I can't see that ever happening again. I have a lot more fun on my Monkey and K-Pipe (along with the Lifanized Passport and '65 Trail 90). Are small bores really that limiting? I don't think so. You just have to be willing to take the Path Less Traveled and stay off the autobahn.
First off, I can’t believe you got the C-70 for .99!!!! For fun, I Googled it just now and an ad came up on eBay showing the price with a photo of a couple riding one and the price $8.99. I said, “no way” and clicked on it, but it was for a brochure for the bike, lol.

Second of all, I’m glad that you are sticking to riding what you love despite what others think. That sucks that you’re getting grief over it, but maybe one day those guys will get on a smaller bike themselves and see what they’ve been missing out on.

Thirdly, I loved your comment about the path less travelled. Unfortunately, I feel like those roads are becoming fewer and fewer near where I live because so many new housing developments keep sprouting up. The roads keep getting busier and busier. I had downloaded the Rever app in hopes that I could map out some backroad trips that would be small bike friendly, but apparently that function of the app costs money. Not sure if it’s worth it or not. Anyone have experience with it?

I went to a dealership today to look at some 400cc bikes and told the guy there my plight, and he just shook his head and said, “Don’t sell it. Don’t let your Grom go.” And just as he said it, someone passed the shop on a 125cc.
Maybe it was a sign to keep it. I don’t know. I’m so torn right now, but I’m thankful for your support, woodsrat!!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like it's time to find a new man to me........ LOL
Lol, no, he’s a good guy. The real issue is that we’re not homeowners, so our storage/parking spaces areas limited. We just purchased a trailer to store our bikes in because we don’t have a garage to protect them. The trailer can only fit two bikes, so since he has his Duke, there’s only one open spot, so I’d have to choose between keeping my Grom or getting something else. I’ve already tried to convince him that I can keep the Grom in our apartment after seeing a photo on here of a Grom sitting on a couch watching TV, lol, but he says the apartment will smell like gasoline.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,419 Posts
My Grom is heavily modded, but will run 65mph all day with me sitting upright unless it is an unusually steep hill. I can easily slouch and hit 70 so my buddy on the CBR has to be speeding to leave me. Last time we rode I passed a state trooper running 78mph and my buddy asked me to slow it down a little. Lol

I hate to see you sell the Grom, but if you decide to sell it. Make sure you sit on a few first, and find something your comfortable on. Would hate to lose the grom and not find something else to ride. Have you looked at a Yamaha MT03?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’ve already tried to convince him that I can keep the Grom in our apartment after seeing a photo on here of a Grom sitting on a couch watching TV, lol, but he says the apartment will smell like gasoline.
I keep a Mini Trail in our spare bedroom and my wife has never smelled any gas... from the bike.:)

DSC02965.JPG

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Grom is heavily modded, but will run 65mph all day with me sitting upright unless it is an unusually steep hill. I can easily slouch and hit 70 so my buddy on the CBR has to be speeding to leave me. Last time we rode I passed a state trooper running 78mph and my buddy asked me to slow it down a little. Lol

I hate to see you sell the Grom, but if you decide to sell it. Make sure you sit on a few first, and find something your comfortable on. Would hate to lose the grom and not find something else to ride. Have you looked at a Yamaha MT03?
Lol, that’s pretty funny about the trooper, and impressive too! Can you tell me what mods that you have to reach those speeds? And any tips you might have for installing such? I’m a novice with this stuff, so any advice would be awesome!!! If the mods aren’t too expensive, maybe I can convince my fiancé that it’d be worth doing....fingers crossed!!!!

It’s funny that you mentioned that Yamaha because the guy at the dealership recommended it. I went in to look at the Kawasaki Ninja 400 and the 400 Z, but they were out of the Z, so he told me in two weeks they’re getting in the MT03s, which would be similar. I definitely want to research it!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
815 Posts
These things are way more than just fun when you mod them.

Get an inexpensive big bore kit and enjoy it with 10 to 15 more mph on top.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,419 Posts
My mods are in my Signature, ninja 400 and z400 appear to be much better bang for the buck, but I like Yamaha's. I went and sat on a MT03 the other day, very comfortable and they look awesome!

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
124 Posts
Kona, have a look at the Suzuki TU250X. Classic UJM looks, 30.3 in seat height, easy pull clutch., 75 mpg or so and speeds around 75 mph. The bike has been in production since 2003 and the 2019 is the last model year. I've seen low miles and super clean bikes selling for a song.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
815 Posts
KTM has the Duke 200 on the way to the states for the same price as a Monkey: $3,999. 26 HP so it should have enough power to be fun!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts