·
Vendor
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Stock groms you say? What's that?
Just a faster grom for Hwy use, water cooled will add weight but air cooled will be lighter just have to have a built in oil cooler unit with a electric fan.

In stock means being built around that engine size and going up just a little in the rim size so you can have a selection of tire size, hint "wide tire kit". I like the over all look of the grom and size of the grom since I can split lanes in Calif with ease and having a little more HP is a plus with a 250 or 305.

I assume a lot of grom owners don't know that Honda built a 305 scrabble way back in the 60's that was a kick ass engine.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If we got something decent, it would definitely be an improvement over the Kawi/Suzuki "working together".. they just rebadged some old stuff to fill holes in their lineups. No innovation.

I wouldn't go as far as to say No innovation....the KX450 is a beast and is a direct result of that partenership....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all

Im getting older and find my MSX125 is fine with its bog standard motor with K&N air filter and Arrow full exhaust (with db killer still inserted ) Tyga black belly pan and 428 'o'ring chain with standard size JT sprockets, have to thrash it to get any speed had an indicated 70 MPH going down a LONG slight down hill which suits me fine, yes water cooling, uprated compression, sorted fuelling with 2 modes one to pass regulations and one for full power, and many more additions would all push the price ( and weight ) up and take away a lot of the fun everybody has styling and tuning the bikes, just look at the variety on this forum, fat wheel extended swing arms ,ally frames, big bore kits, dirt bike oriented styling, low riders the list is endless, i see many well sorted japanese bikes that never get touched as the performance is there already but with a low powered basic bike the owner whats to add more and the sheer variety on this forum shows its a bike for all that can be easily improved to suit everybody, I have just order a new africa twin which is again a very basic bike with little in the way of gimmicks compared to a BMW or the KTM and already there is a mountain of parts available for owners to tune their bikes into something special that suits them better, If Honda and Yamaha get together and build an all sing and dancing Adventure bike it will have assorts of electronic wizardry like fly by wire everything including on the fly adjustable suspension, screen, all sorts of traction, anti wheels, power setting you will be able to push buttons to get it set to what you want which means they will all look the same a year after you have brought it which for me takes the fun away, in the channel islands the MSX125 has become quite popular and many have been modified to different degrees and its great,

P.S. sorry about the long post but just my opinion

·
Registered
870 Posts
UMMM.....this is not my words but does explain the partnersip they shared.

Suzuki and Kawasaki were never the same company. There was an engineering partnership and business relationship that started produced some models that could be brought to market cheaper and quicker by sharing development of the product, such as the 2004-05 RMZ and KXF 250 F that were the same bike. Kawasaki developed the frame and suspension, Suzuki engineered the motor. Saved each company time and $$$. Kawasaki shared the 65cc 2-stroke, keeping Suzuki from having to produce their own bike. Suzuki dealers got to sell it as an RM 65, providing a more complete model lineup. Kawasaki got an identical 400cc KLX that is just a DRZ 400 with green plastic. They also got the Z400 quad, although late in the season. There were all sorts of problems that arose with one company getting their version of a product long before the other company got ther same bike to sell, such as the Z400 quad, which all led to the disolving of the partnership. The fact that certain models were wholly built by one company and sold as the other brand is the reason there are Kawasaki KLX 400s with Suzuki tags on motors and other parts. Partnerships between bitter rivals are usually bad ideas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts