Honda Grom banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im picking up my grom with a pickup truck. In the past I have moved motorcycles in pickups by installing an eye bolt on either side of the front wheel with the wheel against the bed. I used rachet type straps going from the handlebars to the eyes and compressed the forks.

That was enough.

Will this owrk for the grom if you have any expeerience moving one like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That's how I did it. Hooked it to some straps around the bars and hooked the other ends into some holes I drilled into my truck box and sat on the bike and pulled it tight compressing the front forks. Drove 70 miles and no problems at all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Im picking up my grom with a pickup truck. In the past I have moved motorcycles in pickups by installing an eye bolt on either side of the front wheel with the wheel against the bed. I used rachet type straps going from the handlebars to the eyes and compressed the forks.

That was enough.

Will this owrk for the grom if you have any expeerience moving one like this?

Thanks!
I would also bunjie to rear wheel to the back corners of your bed. If your bed is at all slippery or you take tight turns the rear wheel of your bike may slide from side to side.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Be careful to not over compress the forks, especially if you have a longer trip. Its a very easy way to blow a fork seal. You want it tight enough the bike can't hop but not too tight that the suspension is bottomed out. The suspension should be able to move up and down still to absorb the bumps as you drive.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
What he said. Just tight enough to compress the forks a bit. I also used the excess strap to wrap around the pegs to stabilize the rear. Although I have a bed liner so stuff usually doesn't slide around but just in case.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent advice!

I will bring a pice of something like carpet for the rear wheel in case the truck I have doesnt have tiedowns for the r wheel.

Yeah dont want to blow a seal and Im going 250+ miles.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've been looking at different motorcycle transport systems so I can put two in the back of my truck. This one looks pretty cool: Bed Buddy & Ready Ramp Ultimate Hauler Package - Full | CCR Sport

When we picked up El C's Grom last week, we used 4 ratchet straps. 1 on each side of the handle bars hooked to the front corner of the truck bed and 2 around the rear spring to each corner. Maybe a little over kill, but hey it's a GROM!

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's how I did it. Hooked it to some straps around the bars and hooked the other ends into some holes I drilled into my truck box and sat on the bike and pulled it tight compressing the front forks. Drove 70 miles and no problems at all.
This is exactly how I move my honda ct90, only the tiedowns are already on the truck. I use the low ones, compress the front and ratchet it down...of course I always need help loading it in, but there are plenty of stong men around who help!❤

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is exactly how I move my honda ct90, only the tiedowns are already on the truck. I use the low ones, compress the front and ratchet it down...of course I always need help loading it in, but there are plenty of stong men around who help!❤

You can buy a kit convert 2x10s or 12s ino a handy ramp. When I post pics of my grom transport on Tuesday look for them.

Man tools come in handy though dont they? ; )

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Hopefully after you get you Grom home it will never see the back of a truck or trailer again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just had a thought!

I will be going up and down some STEEP hills!

Will putting the bike in first and clamping the front brake hold it when going up hill?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts