Honda Grom banner

41 - 60 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is there a how to on this? I've got the parts in and have a free afternoon coming up soon. Is it as involved as removing the forks or can you do this from the top of the fork tubes without having to remove the forks?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It raises the front of the bike by 1 inch, exactly the same amount as the spacer added. This will increase rake a little. I think someone else did the measurements and its around 1-1.2*, this should make the bike a little more stable at speed at the sacrafice of every so slightly harder turn in. Neither of those are likely felt much.

After doing some more riding with the spacer setup and thicker oil, its worlds freaking better. The extra inch of uptravel actually allows the stock valving to work in the thicker oil SO MUCH BETTER. I use to bottom out hard on the bottom out washer at the top cap all the time with the original fork setup and all that is nearly gone now.
1-1.2"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lol i must have been illiterate on that part. Anyone have any pics of how their bike sits with this mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is there a how to on this? I've got the parts in and have a free afternoon coming up soon. Is it as involved as removing the forks or can you do this from the top of the fork tubes without having to remove the forks?

You could technically do it with only having to remove the handel bars and loosening the upper triple fork clamps, you could undo one cap at a time and add in the spacer hardware, To replace the fork oil you would need to remove the forks from the bike to turn them upside down to drain.

you DO NOT, have to pull the upper and lower fork apart, you do not have to remove the lower bracket from the lower fork leg as all of the new hardware goes in the top cap.

And yes it raises the bike by exactly 1inch (the lenght of the spacer) and probably increases rake by 1-1.2*

·
Registered
417 Posts
You could technically do it with only having to remove the handel bars and loosening the upper triple fork clamps, you could undo one cap at a time and add in the spacer hardware, To replace the fork oil you would need to remove the forks from the bike to turn them upside down to drain.

you DO NOT, have to pull the upper and lower fork apart, you do not have to remove the lower bracket from the lower fork leg as all of the new hardware goes in the top cap.

And yes it raises the bike by exactly 1inch (the lenght of the spacer) and probably increases rake by 1-1.2*
Send me a pm

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Orr. you could use an oil sucker/remover/whatever
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-6-Liter-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU

except that one looks like a bong. Normally they are cylindrical.
You could but the way the grom forks are setup you could never even come close to getting more than a bit of whats really in the fork out this way.

Anyone know the oil amount for them...........

75mm from the top. Dont go by amount in as you are likely NOT going to get all of the oil out of your fork to begin with. And the grom forks @ 75mm from the top have almost not extra room for oil height.

·
Registered
77 Posts
75mm from the top. Dont go by amount in as you are likely NOT going to get all of the oil out of your fork to begin with. And the grom forks @ 75mm from the top have almost not extra room for oil height.
Is this compressed on uncompressed? Spring in or Spring out?

great mod, collecting the parts now. I sit almost to the back of the seat so do not find the forks as horrific as some but still needs some extra travel. 5/10 and 220lb so no light weight

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
the way the grom forks are assembled the spring stays in the lower fork tube (the damper rod captures the top of the spring and is your top out limiter, hence why my mod adds an inch of travel), so the spring has to be in. Oil height on these forks is set with the outer (upper) fork leg pushed all the way down and oil height measured from the top of the upper fork leg to the oil.

·
Registered
417 Posts
the way the grom forks are assembled the spring stays in the lower fork tube (the damper rod captures the top of the spring and is your top out limiter, hence why my mod adds an inch of travel), so the spring has to be in. Oil height on these forks is set with the outer (upper) fork leg pushed all the way down and oil height measured from the top of the upper fork leg to the oil.
You still selling these parts?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
yeah i swing by the hardware store from time to time and if someone needs them I can grab them. Shoot me a PM with your info. I am probably going to be passing by the hardware store this weekend so im going to pick up a set for at least one other member.

Do note they do have limited quantities of things, typically the 1inch spacer is the hardest part to source as not many people need it. so its first come first serve.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeah i swing by the hardware store from time to time and if someone needs them I can grab them. Shoot me a PM with your info. I am probably going to be passing by the hardware store this weekend so im going to pick up a set for at least one other member.

Do note they do have limited quantities of things, typically the 1inch spacer is the hardest part to source as not many people need it. so its first come first serve.
I'm interested it won't let me send you a pm would you try and send one to my inbox

41 - 60 of 370 Posts