Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is the stock circlip/stopper ring still used mate?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dude, if you ever consider selling the parts used in this mod as a kit, I'd be interested.
Parts stores around here are for $hit...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is the stock circlip/stopper ring still used mate?
The itty bitty lil clip that sits in the stock notch of the damper rod about an inch from the top? Nope, it is replaced by the small silver washer in the OP.

Dude, if you ever consider selling the parts used in this mod as a kit, I'd be interested.
Parts stores around here are for $hit...
I mean if you wanted me to i can stop by the hardware store where i got the parts and walk next door and pop em in a usps small flat rate package for ya. Shoot me up with a PM.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Okay, so nd4spdbh hooked me up with the parts needed to do this mod ($9.00 parts and shipping) since the parts stores around here suck. I really didn't feel like yanking the forks out and swapping out the oil - so, I didn't. I figured I'd try it with the stock oil and worst case scenario, I'd have to rip it apart again. I unbolted the handlebars, jacked the front end up (jackstands and a 2x4 under the engine), and followed his mod. The whole process start to finish took about an hour.

The difference is utterly night and day, even without upgrading the oil. The bike feels so much more stable going into turns and even bouncing my weight onto the handlebars wouldn't make it bottom out. I took it out for about an hour and a half and I just couldn't get over how solid the front end feels now. Hands down, this is one of the best things (for the money) that I've done to the GROM since I got it.

Hugethanks to nd4spdbh for coming up with this amazing and inexpensive mod..!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I really didn't feel like yanking the forks out and swapping out the oil - so, I didn't. I figured I'd try it with the stock oil and worst case scenario, I'd have to rip it apart again. I unbolted the handlebars, jacked the front end up (jackstands and a 2x4 under the engine), and followed his mod. The whole process start to finish took about an hour.
So you swapped the fork bits without even taking the front wheel off?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, the forks stayed in. I jacked it up like seen below (from when I wrapped my forks), and just loosened and removed the fork caps. Once everything was loose, I just picked up on the front tire, raising the fork internals, and did the swap in hardware. I was surprised it worked out so well...

10310513_1499993100302529_8162397691526074664_n.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
How about an itemized parts list with part numbers from where you got it? Maybe we could find these bits on Amazon or an online parts store. I really want to do this mod also. Thanks for sharing and kudos on the creativity and problem solving.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Can I get a parts kit?
Shoot me a PM.

How about an itemized parts list with part numbers from where you got it? Maybe we could find these bits on Amazon or an online parts store. I really want to do this mod also. Thanks for sharing and kudos on the creativity and problem solving.

Next time im at the hardware store i can get "part numbers"

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
sweet that'd be great.

Here you go.
From left to right with quantity needed. 1. Steel spacer 2x, 2. Rubber washer 4x, 3. Longer bolts 2x, 4. Small OD m8 washer 2x.

These are all Hillman Fasteners brand part numbers.

IMG_20160423_105643.jpg IMG_20160423_105718.jpg IMG_20160423_105803.jpg IMG_20160423_105831.jpg

If anyone would like a lil kit with these parts Let me know via PM i am always at the hardware store and its real easy for me to package them up for ya.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Bored today on my day off and remembered this so I figured I'd give it a shot, couldn't hurt my 2.5yr 22k mile old suspension. Picked up everything at ACE hardware thanks to the pic ND4 posted and got everything for $6.63

It now has an amazing amount of rebound, the forks fully extend back after dips or braking. I'm running fresh 10wt oil so it still moves kind of quick but the rebound alone was totally with the $7 and hour is spent installing everything.

Thanks again ND4

·
Registered
103 Posts
My parts in Canada didn't work exactly as well, but some grinding and shaping and it worked on the second round/test.

Haven't been able to test ride, but I leaned into it a bit until I over tightened one of the handle bar bolts so be careful (snapped) the stock bar clamp where the bolt attaches right next to the shocks ;(

Working on a work around but seems like a great cost effective mod!

·
Registered
139 Posts
having trouble sourcing the spacer in the uk. looks like i'm gonna have to buy a rod and cut it down to size!

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bored today on my day off and remembered this so I figured I'd give it a shot, couldn't hurt my 2.5yr 22k mile old suspension. Picked up everything at ACE hardware thanks to the pic ND4 posted and got everything for $6.63

It now has an amazing amount of rebound, the forks fully extend back after dips or braking. I'm running fresh 10wt oil so it still moves kind of quick but the rebound alone was totally with the $7 and hour is spent installing everything.

Thanks again ND4
AWESOME!!! glad everything worked out for you!

Epic more parts availability. And reality its the spacer that is the most non common part. so if you can source that, the rest should be pretty easy.

21 - 40 of 363 Posts