Honda Grom banner

361 - 370 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone notice any adverse effects of this mod? I did it on my '14 Grom and a few times since when I've been pushing it a bit I've felt the front tyre slip out. It may well just be a coincidence and be my tyres as they're probably 3 years old now. Either way it's put me off of riding it to be honest, if it's not the mod then I'll buy some new sticky tyres. Don't get me wrong, this mod has made the bike much more ridable and made the front brake much more effective so I hope it's not that that's causing the front tyre to slip out.

Looking at the code on my tyres it looks like they were made in 2013! So I've ordered some more anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to bounce an old thread but it seemed like the right one even though there was a lot of information hidden in the pages! My question, to stiffen up the front forks just a bit for less dive on a 2nd gen (2016 non ABS) bike without any spacer, would SAE20 oil and a 70mm air gap still be about right?

Also, roughly how oil will I need to buy, will 1 litre do it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Sorry to bounce an old thread but it seemed like the right one even though there was a lot of information hidden in the pages! My question, to stiffen up the front forks just a bit for less dive on a 2nd gen (2016 non ABS) bike without any spacer, would SAE20 oil and a 70mm air gap still be about right?

Also, roughly how oil will I need to buy, will 1 litre do it? Thanks!
Not sure about the 70mm air gap but I can tell you that 30wt oil is what you want not 20wt. I switched out my GF's oil with 30wt at the 75mm air gap and she loves it. We used Redline 30wt heavy. 220ml per fork leg so 1 liter is plenty.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Always measure fork oil by oil height, not amount put in as there is likely residual. Easier to add more in then take out.

That stated on the OG grom forks you couldnt go much more in oil height without hitting hydraulic lock... that is no room for the fork to compress more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the 1" steel spacers in Canada?

Also any issues replacing the neoprene washers with steel washers? I wasn't able to find the neoprene washers either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the 1" steel spacers? Also any issues replacing the neoprene washers with steel washers? I wasn't able to find the neoprene washers either.

Thanks!
Do you have a local hardware store you can visit? Some place that stocks plenty of fasteners? in the US I was able to find these places at "Ace Hardware".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a local hardware store you can visit? Some place that stocks plenty of fasteners? in the US I was able to find these places at "Ace Hardware".
I forgot to mention in my post I'm from Canada. I've already tried a bunch as well as industrial fastener stores with no luck. Trying to avoid aimlessly driving around going to every single local hardware store. and see if anyone else knows where I can find it in Canada.

361 - 370 of 370 Posts