Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
'Taint as easy as it should be for a maintenance item, but it is doable. It requires aclutch cover gasket kit and possibly a kick start seal unless you can save the original. Wait, no kickstart on these... duh.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Awesome. Never had a bike with an "oil strainer", what is it and how often should I be changing it?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I'll check when I get home if someone hasn't already posted it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Not hard at all but I'm an ex mechanic and avid motorcyclist that does all my own maintenance.

The good part is many of these bike will not see 7500 miles till the second or third owner. That's likely two plus years for most average riders.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Not hard at all but I'm an ex mechanic and avid motorcyclist that does all my own maintenance.

The good part is many of these bike will not see 7500 miles till the second or third owner. That's likely two plus years for most average riders.
And, years from now, many of these bikes will find their way to guys like you and me who will find 7 LBS of sludge in the slingers. :encouragement:

·
Registered
659 Posts
This part is not like an air cleaner or spark plug that needs more linear service. There is good anecdotal evidence that says you might want to clean it early. Why? Because that is when the predominance of metal shows up in the oil...the first 200 miles with a hard break in and a little later with the factory break in. I plan to service it at 2500 for the first time. Most likely it won't get another cleaning for a long time, maybe at 14,000 mi, but that first one seems like the most important one to me, just like changing an oil filter. I always change early too. I hope someone beats me to it though and reports back that they found absolutely nothing inside it. Then I might not be in such a hurry to do it, but I think it will be dirty at 2500 mi. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did a oil change at 80 miles and had a good bit of sealant (liquid gasket) in the oil so I'm going to check the screen pretty early also.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

Not me. Ill ride it till it dies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did a oil change at 80 miles and had a good bit of sealant (liquid gasket) in the oil so I'm going to check the screen pretty early also.
I also had a few pieces of liquid gasket, one of which was 5mm long. Shavings were pretty minimal and there were no big ones (my first oil change was at 150 mi). I expected any big pieces to be in the strainer or spinner so the gasket was a surprise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I cleaned mine at 200 miles and youd be surprised how much was in it. Since the cover gasket hadnt been on there that long I didnt need a new gasket either. It doesnt hold any real pressure so as long as it doesnt rip then reuse the gasket or make one its a standard paper gasket.

Side note, I cant wait till someone makes an aluminum cleaner its about an inch thick and I imagine it weighs at least a pound, talk about parasitic loss. This motor doesnt have power to spare.

Reactions: AJ Nin

·
Registered
659 Posts
So did the gasket stay stuck to the spinner cover and separate from the spinner? Then did you add anything to the gasket or bolts to make sure it sealed? The service manual says to replace the gasket with the sealed side facing the filter cover. Is the sealed side different than the other side? So it's more porous on the sealed side? The manual also says to use threadlocker (like blue Loctite, I suppose?) for the filter cover bolts. Did you do that? Where is this liquid gasket coming from? Surely Honda uses pre-fabricated gaskets everywhere and not something they squeeze out of tube that breaks off in chunks in the crankcase, right?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts