Honda Grom banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying a Honda Grom but was wondering how long it will last and how soon can I expect rust on it? Like, how many months in will I start seeing rust on my bike provided that I take care of it and maintain it properly.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,497 Posts
Stored out of the rain or in the weather?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don’t know, but I would say it somewhat depends on where you live. If you live near the ocean, then you might see some rust sooner than someone living further inland. I store my bike indoors, live far from the ocean, and have never ridden it in the rain, so I can’t offer any real world experience.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,497 Posts
Stored out of the rain with the occasional drive in the rain (not often tho)
Less than a year before you will see surface rust on some parts of the frame. Mine was stored outside the first 6 months or so I had it, I've had to touch up some areas.

Reactions: Ali Mankani

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don’t know, but I would say it somewhat depends on where you live. If you live near the ocean, then you might see some rust sooner than someone living further inland. I store my bike indoors, live far from the ocean, and have never ridden it in the rain, so I can’t offer any real world experience.
I will definitely agree with this. I can’t offer much help, bought mine brand new in 2015. Zero rust on it what so ever but I only have 1500 miles on it. As long as you take care of it and keep the elements off the bike you should be fine
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
115 Posts
I store mine under an outdoor overhang with a cheap amazon cover, but I also live in a very mild and relatively dry climate. I only wash the bike with Optimum no-rinse wash&wax (or other similar 'waterless' washes). I like ONRWW because it is mild and safe on all surfaces (paint, plastic, metal, vinyl, rubber, lenses, screen) and it leaves a small amount of protection behind on surfaces that I would not be able to reach with a traditional wax or protectant. I also use a cheap ceramic coating, which can be used on everything as well, you need to be careful to properly apply ceramic to gloss surfaces to avoid high-spots, but on textured surfaces, I apply it more aggressively without issue. I have seen a small amount of surface rust in the threads of some of the body panel fasteners, I have since added a bit of thread-locker blue to those fasteners to keep them properly torqued and rust-free. I haven't used HCB-1 or any similar product but it seems worth considering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts