Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very interested in a GROM but I have a problem. I have a torn muscle in my lower back. Riding a motorcycle with a stiff rear suspension will result in back spasms after a few weeks. Unfortunately, dealers do not allow someone to test ride new motorcycles. So the only way I can find out whether or not a new motorcycle is suitable for me is to BUY IT. This leads to problems if the bike is not suitable.

If you own or have ridden a GROM, how does the rear suspension seem? For it to work for me I need a very soft riding motorcycle. As an example, a year ago I bought a used Honda CB250 twin cylinder. I rode it for a week and sure enough, I could tell the shocks were too stiff. I had to sell it.

Any help you may offer is appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

I Owen a MSX/Grom and due to its size and only 4inches of travel from the shock it is quite hard

Regards

Big te

·
Registered
677 Posts
due to your personal issues, i wouldnt buy anything in the "sport" category, grom included. its like looking for a caddilac ride in a sports car. not going to happen. you need a known "soft" riding bike... like cruiser style

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Hi

I Owen a MSX/Grom and due to its size and only 4inches of travel from the shock it is quite hard

Regards

Big te
I did not expect this. I thought for sure folks would post up about how under sprung it is. This is encouraging for me. Sorry it is not going to work for you Echo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't have my Grom yet but if it turns out to be a bit stiff and not easy to remedy you may wish to consider the CRF250L... I love mine and the stock suspension setup is very soft. Not exactly what you were looking for but may be of some help and once the 2014's are in stock you should do a test ride... these are very hard to find as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was surprised how firm the suspension is, if you have a bad back you can get some jolts from lumps and holes in the road, I think a lot of the other American guys are worried about the weight it will carry, but there is no need, i'm around 14st which is about 200 lbs in American mearurements, the suspension hardly moves when I sit on it.
In fact when I first rode it I could have sworn it was a hardtail.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You could always consider as well getting an aftermarket rear shock like the YSS, etc ... you can purchase springs in many different places to replace the springs in those types of shocks... just put a softer spring in. With a bit of math, and knowing how much movement you actually want at the shock when you sit on it, you can pretty much dial in the exact spring rate you'd need for your weight.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crap.

Crap crap crap!

At least I know the truth now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could always consider as well getting an aftermarket rear shock like the YSS, etc ... you can purchase springs in many different places to replace the springs in those types of shocks... just put a softer spring in. With a bit of math, and knowing how much movement you actually want at the shock when you sit on it, you can pretty much dial in the exact spring rate you'd need for your weight.

I had a Harley XR1200 and tried a set of $1200 aftermarket shocks and it didnt work.

Can you steer me to a site that sells the springs you mention? I think I remember talking with people on the phone who sell things like that but I didnt get anywhere.

What you say makes sense but Ive no idea how to implement it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have my Grom yet but if it turns out to be a bit stiff and not easy to remedy you may wish to consider the CRF250L... I love mine and the stock suspension setup is very soft. Not exactly what you were looking for but may be of some help and once the 2014's are in stock you should do a test ride... these are very hard to find as well.

Hmm sounds good until I got to the seat height of 34 inches.

But you all keep trying because my heart is broken over the GROM and I may do something rash...:crying:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about a Ruckus? How are those sprung?

What about the Madass? That has a laydown rear shock which looks to transmit the movement more horizontally than vertically.

What about ANY small bike? :question:

·
Registered
257 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts