Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 14t tooth front sprocket, and in the process I decided to adjust the chain slack because I haven't done so yet. After adjusting the chain slack I adjusted the rear wheel with the tick marks on the side of the swing arm. Both sides are pretty much dead on. It looks like common sense that the tick marks are there to help with wheel alignment and chain tension? Any thoughts or help anyone?

RIGHT:

LEFT:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I googled "motorcycle chain adjustment" and "motorcycle wheel alignment" quite a bit, read many posts and watched many videos before I did mine the first time. The takeaway seems to be that the tick marks are a starting point, after which you need a more precise method of checking wheel alignment. Doing your own research, you will come across the Motion Pro chain alignment tool; the Profi Laser tool; the "string method", etc. I tried both the Motion Pro and the Profi, but could not get the hang of them. I settled on using a measuring tape (the soft, flexible kind used for clothing measurements) to check the distance from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt, to the center of the rear axle bolt (or nut), on each side -- making sure they are the same. Although the rear sets are in the way, I just stretch the tape right over them; they're the same size after all. There are probably many people who will object to that method, but it's better than relying on the tick marks alone.

What I really wanted was a 24" caliper, but I could not find a good quality one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The chain alignment tool is what I use on all my bikes. It's not bad price and it works awesome. Not always are those marks even and sometimes the wheel isn't actually true using them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chain alignment tool is what I use on all my bikes. It's not bad price and it works awesome. Not always are those marks even and sometimes the wheel isn't actually true using them.
Where you can purchase the chain tool alignment?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks quaker for your input. I actually measured the ends of the tensioner; from the last bolt to the end of the threads, and was off by 1mm. Like you said, tick marks are starting points, more precise method is used after.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Where you can purchase the chain tool alignment?
I bought mine on ebay. Just search chain alignment tool on ebay and it will pop up. Looks like it's for sale for $13.95 shipped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just used the tick marks on my KCP chain adjusters and haven't had a problem. Would there be anyway of noticing that something is out of alignment? other than maybe increased tire ware?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just used the tick marks on my KCP chain adjusters and haven't had a problem. Would there be anyway of noticing that something is out of alignment? other than maybe increased tire ware?
Shorter life of the wheel bearings maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts