Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might be tough, but I have one of each.
this little motor rips-like 23 Hp stock, 6 speed trans...
maybe I could pick up a blown up Grom down the road...
just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Back in the 90s my cousin threw a 750 Yamaha 4 cylinder into a 71 z50a. How? I dont know. Anything can be done.

Sent from my MB865 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a nice vintage st90 with a rebel 250 motor swapped in at a bike show last month.
very sanitary job and purred like a kitten.
yeah-I think the 750 would be sick but the 150r would be a little monster without any weight gain.
upright cylinder, carbureted, and water cooled are the 3 main challenges I see.
i just don't think you could mod the stock engine to compare even at 200cc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know this might be tough, but I have one of each.
this little motor rips-like 23 Hp stock, 6 speed trans...
maybe I could pick up a blown up Grom down the road...
just thinking out loud.

Makes you wonder why didnt Honda throw this motor in the grom to begin with! lol

·
Registered
311 Posts
A liquid cooled cylinder, like what came about with gy6's, would go a good deal of the way towards better performance.

I wouldn't fret though. There's power in these little engines. Just getting a power programmer to extract it is what I'm waiting for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I stand corrected-5 speed-maybe that is what I will do with mine as there is nowhere in nj to ride legally offroad unless you or a friend own acreage. Anyway the blank inside covers look like a perfect place to mount radiators-Honda should bring out the 2015 Grom 150r for $3999 with this setup as a pocket racer-would create a new class.

·
Registered
246 Posts
CRF150R's are only a 5 speed I have one with 17inch slicks on it and its real fun on the kart tracks!
Mine is on 12's, Absolute little monster. The engine is maniacal. It would be cheaper and more time efficient to buy a 150R put in a lighting coil. Shorten the forks and shock and call it a day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have thought about putting mine in my ktm65 frame I love my ktm but it needs more grunt. It already has the 80cc kit and it is hard on the tranny and clutch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts