Honda Grom banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was mentioned that I should post up a little bit about Honda of Chattanooga, so here's a little bit of history on us and how we came to be a Honda Powerhouse Dealer.

Main OEM site - http://www.HondaofChattanoogaTN.com
Blog with Honda News on 2013 & 2014 Honda models etc - http://www.HondaofChattanoogaBLOG.com

(Quick shot of the main showroom, hard to get all of it in one picture.)

Mr. Honda worked his way across the USA in the early 1960's trying to find dealers to carry his products. We'll skip some of the details here but we ended up signing up to carry the Honda product line in 1962. Originally we were a Western Auto store and when we took on Honda, we became Honda of Chattanooga.

Mr. Honda sends Mr White and his wife a plane ticket to fly out to Japan and check out what all Honda had to offer and why Honda was a company they should invest their money in. Keep in mind at this time Honda wasn't anything to get excited about at the time in regards to people here in the states and no one knew if the investment would pay off etc.

Here's a cool picture of Mr. Honda and Mrs. White in Honda's Formula One car in the 60's.

Another picture with Mr. Honda in Japan.

Honda of Chattanooga started out in a very small building downtown in Chattanooga. As the years pass, they keep expanding and buying out the buildings beside them from Banks to Pharmacies etc. Eventually they owned over 8 buildings that were connected to each other in an "old school" part of town here in Chattanooga which has sadly became quite the bad area. Fast forward to 1999 and Mr. White's son Barry has been running things side by side with his dad for quite a few years. Barry wants to grow the business, wants to expand and make Honda of Chattanooga bigger and better than what it was at the time. In 1999 the multi-million dollar building he designed from the bottom up was completed here on Hwy 58 where we're located as of today. We have expanded once already with another large warehouse and we have 5+ acres behind us that we use as a "test track" that we can use in the future when we need more square footage etc.

Picture of Mr. White and his son Barry whom is sitting on the bike they gave away in the 60's.

The economy taking a dump in 2008/2009 has closed the doors of quite a few local Honda dealers and even more around the country. Thankfully in 51 years of being a Honda dealer, you learn what works and what doesn't and also to put money up for those rainy days or in the case as of lately, rainy years... We're still kicking here at Honda of Chattanooga though and we're not going anywhere! We pride ourselves on taking care of our customers and that is why we have so many repeat customers that have been buying from us since they were a kid and their dad bought them their first bike etc. It's been a family owned business since day 1 which has always been pretty cool in my eyes, hopefully I get to carry on their legacy if things go as planned haha.

The retail side of the motorcycle world has changed a lot over the years and we've had to adapt like many others. We offer some of the best wholesale prices and deals you'll find on all of Honda's Powersports products and have people fly in from all over the country and ship a lot of our vintage collection worldwide. Since we are a Honda Powerhouse dealer here at Honda of Chattanooga, we carry everything Honda makes from Lawnmowers, Trimmers, Water pumps, Generators to the usual Motorcycles, ATVs & PWC - Everything except their Auto lineup.

A picture of the building we built in 1999. It's an older shot and doesn't have our new Honda sign we had to put up out front per Honda and doesn't show our other warehouse to the side etc but it atleast gives you an idea.

Just a quick shot of some of the ATVs. This time of the year we don't stock as many like we do in the Fall.

Sorry for typing up a mini novel haha. I tried to keep it short and sweet for the most part while giving you a little bit of info about us etc. Thanks for looking guys and many thanks for the warm welcoming...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Enjoyed reading this post. The MSX is my 6th new Honda (not counting the lawnmower), so am attached to the brand.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very nice froggie, I watched a documentary on Soichiro Honda a while back (years) and even then I was like "holy shit, this guy is awesome", the man was a genius

"I could not understand how it could move under its own power. And when it had driven past me, without even thinking why I found myself chasing it down the road, as hard as I could run." - Soichiro Honda

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great read! Thanks for sharing!

SOMEDAY, when my current POS car craps out and I HAVE to find other means of transportation, I'll definitely consider driving the couple of hours up to pick up a GROM! We'll have to sell it to my wife though as a "scooter" since she doesn't like the idea of me on a "motorcycle", lol. Funny how one word changes everything right? (GUN or just a FIREARM)

I'm in Birmingham and there's not much down here as far as Honda dealers, I do live a block away from Big#1 Yamaha though which advertises pretty much statewide which I find a little funny because I think their showroom is kind of puny.

Anyways, hope y'all get a good shipment of Grom's and hope they sell really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts