Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding around about 2 months ago, stopped at the store and when I was leaving I started my grom up went into 1st gear then it immediately died. It will turn over no problem but it just won't fire up. I changed the fuses and spark plug and did all the basic checks but still got nothin. I was thinkin that maybe my chain skipped a tooth because it was loose, so I'm thinking it could be a timing issue but not sure. Looking for ideas on what else it could be or if anyone has any tips

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it cranks in neutral and when in gear, just won't fire up! I'll check those two switches and see what happens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I checked the timing and that is good along with the kickstand switch and clutch sensors. It has gas but I just found out there is no spark. Last year I replaced the stator and it's been doin it's job so I'm ruling that out. Read a couple of different threads and I'm goin to reset the ecu, ecm and tps to see if that will b the fix but if it doesn't then I might need a new ecm? Or a new fuel pump, I have a 2015 which had the recall and I got the bike with 42 miles on it so I'm thinkin I might need to replace both

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
No spark, either electrical system or coil/coil plug. Check to make sure you have 12v on battery, check to make sure all the wires on the ECU are ok, sometimes people move around wires on the ECU plug/connector when installing after market parts such as Finbro ECU etc. Check cable from both sides of the coil to make sure everything has good connection.

If you replaced the stator make sure to replace with either OEM for that year or you can go 2017 or newer which would also need the rectifier replaced with a 2017.

Always check voltage first, than cable connection and check display for check engine light or if it throws a engine code

oh last check if you did replace the stator, check inside the boot that the stator wires connect to, sometimes those plug in wires inside the boot comes loose causing no connection. The boot is on the left side and it has connection for the stator, kick stand, speed sensor, etc.

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Houston we have lift off!! Turns out the ecu shit out on me, that's why I wasn't gettin a spark! Checked everything u guys told me to and was gettin good readings then came across someone who had their ecu go out and they tested it with a good one so I ordered a reflashed ecu from cameron jones racing, swapped it out and she started up first try! Thank u guys for the input it was much appreciated and a good but frustrating learning experience!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts