Honda Grom banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that people in the US are starting to get their Groms, we have an all new forum section dedicated to hearing about what you think of your new Grom!

So if you have a review, thoughts or first impressions on this cool new bike, post them up here :cool2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
ive got 9 miles on mine.
about as fast as i would guess a 125 to be. Very nimble and able to be thrown around. one of my tires feels out of round, or lack of balancing, not sure.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My wife and I have just picked up ours
Just trying to upload pic now.
First impressions.
Done about 40km since getting home.
Great little bike, not dissimilar ride to my Ruckus.

Downside:
The seat is very hard,
the gearbox will need some breaking in (Hard to get neutral)
The rear brake is almost unless at the mo,
not sure if it needs bedding in or has something on the disk. (I'll check tomorrow)

Upside:
Masses of fun to ride,
plenty of power (Can only get better after break in)
Corners like it's on rails (Even with my excess weight)
Found no problem with the forks bottoming out (Was worried about this)
Grim factor is off the scale........The bike is worth it just for this IMHO

Dog

·
Registered
674 Posts
not sure if it needs bedding in or has something on the disk. (I'll check tomorrow)

Dog
Hey Dog,

Don't worry too much, i had the exact same thing in the beginning (my dealer warned me for that). the gearbox needs some miles, hard to get in neutral will go away, I'm not sure when i got rid of the problem but im at 1200 km (sorry @ all waiting US friends) and it is definitely gone,
As for the rear breaks, the more you use it the easyer it goes and the better it breaks (i got it up to a level where i can slide at any time)

Greetings,

Jannes

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
First impressions.

Downside:
The seat is very hard,

Upside:
Masses of fun to ride,

Dog
sweet.. thanks and congrats to both of you.. lucky mofos

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
First impressions.

Downside:
The seat is very hard,

Upside:
Masses of fun to ride,

Dog

hmm. iwas able to get to neutral but i,m having a hell of a time going from 2nd to 3rd. i think is it just a noob problem though.

when shifting after i release the clutch, if there is a hesistation does that mean i released clutch too fast? the whole bike jerks.

also instead of a hesitation immediately after shifting, what is going on when i hear the engine revs loudly? is my timing just off and i,m giving it gas too quickly?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
hmm. iwas able to get to neutral but i,m having a hell of a time going from 2nd to 3rd. i think is it just a noob problem though.

when shifting after i release the clutch, if there is a hesistation does that mean i released clutch too fast? the whole bike jerks.

also instead of a hesitation immediately after shifting, what is going on when i hear the engine revs loudly? is my timing just off and i,m giving it gas too quickly?
Youre probably just not fully getting into gear, hook it wit your toe and lift your foot for a harder shift, see if that helps.. Like the other guys mentioned, you may just need to get some miles in the tranny for everything to work as normal

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think the fit and finish is really good. The power delivery is nice and smooth with no hiccups. The suspension is good for lightweight riders. The seat is a bit firm. The transmission is nice and crisp but it can be tricky to get neutral but it will get easier with practice. This is going to be a fun bike to mod. The 125 motor has good torque. I will update more after a long ride tomorrow and then once I start modifying it. I get my exhaust on Monday.

·
Registered
674 Posts
When I had my monkey bike people told me to wait with putting a new exhaust system untill you have driven the bike to a point where the engine has fully been driven in ( do I say that correctly?). I wonder if that is needed or not. You guys have any idea?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Love it so far... now that I have about 80 miles on it, it's starting to open up a bit. It now holds 55 pretty easy, steeper hills not so much... but on an upward grade it holds and even accelerates to 55ish. The tires I'm not a fan of, sharp/fast turns they feel a little slippery. I wanted different tires anyhow.

I don't know that the seat feels any better... I may just be getting used to it.

Gonna ride it to the office here in a few.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I contacted a dealer about 70 miles away that has a pair of 2014 models on the floor. I inquired about a test ride, and they offered to prep one of them for me. I hesitated a bit stating that I would feel bad if I didn't buy it after that, but they said they didn't mind at all. I made it there for two short test rides in a residential area totaling 3-4 miles. The bike felt too small for me, I think. I'm 5'10" and 156lb. The power(or lack of), I think I could get used to. It was the physical size that worries me a bit. It seemed like loose gravel or wet pavement would be a problem for the Grom. I made the 70 mile trip back home on my Nighthawk 750 thinking that I might be crazy to part with that bike. My other motorcycle is a Triumph Tiger. The Grom is cool, and there isn't anything out there comparable to it. I like the fuel injection and fuel economy, but I might need a little more bike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have 300 miles on mine.
It replaces a 100cc 2-stroke scooter which could only manage 45mph + or - 10mph

The good bits
Honda reliability - turn the key and enjoy the ride.
120 mpg / lightweight / good city bike / it fits inside RV motor home during vacations.
60mph cruising speed indicated on flat highways (no wind)
Passenger carrying seat and pegs / luggage rack option to carry work stuff.
The front brake has plenty of bite.
The back brake works fine, and will lock the wheel when provoked.
Plenty of tyre options for upgrades.
Plenty of after market parts for better performance, or bling.
The standard exhaust silencer is loud enough hear the engine, and quiet enough not to annoy the neighbours.

The not so good bits
12-inch wheels / 125cc engine / and 100kg are never going to make it feel or perform like a bigger bike - Don't try to make it into something it isn't.
Sometimes 3rd gear is the best option when uphill into a stiff breeze.
Headwinds can kill the top speed down to an indicated 50mph on the flat.
The UK spec bikes have a very optimistic speedometer, probably 10% or 12% fast (30=27mph / 50mph = 45mph / 60mph=54mph)
This means you are going to need an indicated 64 mph plus, 58 actual, to keep up with HGV traffic on the highway.
Freeway (UK motorway) riding is do-able, but at your own risk. You will need a favorable wind, flat roads, loads of revs, or an HGV slip stream to stay out of trouble.
The grom is very steal able by the low life - a wheel lock for city parking should help to keep it safe from bike thieves and opportunists.

For reference, my current commuter bike is a Honda 600 hornet.
My other bikes were big Kawasakis (Z1300, GPZ1100, RX1000 Z100J)
My most fun bike before the grom was a tired and well used 1977 Suzuki AP100 2-stroke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts