Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From those of you who've done big bore conversions, what's the mpg you're getting out of it, horse power, if you have time let us know about your weight/height, the terrain where you ride - details like that that could affect mpg. What other parts you've upgraded on it that could affect mpg (I'm new to this and I understand that using a racing cam leaves the ports open more, which gives more phowar' = more gas).

I'm looking to build a fun "commuter" that can be stunted and which has enough power to go safely on the highway. I don't want it to be the 1/8 mile race winner; rather a cross between power with a bit of range per tank of gas. I'm thinking of the Kitaco Neo 181, but I said it would be more interesting to cross-reference data from various big bore builds. I was thinking of doing a 250/300 swap but the only thing that bums me out is the short range on a a tank of gas - not sure I want to refill every 80-100 miles or so. Also, I wanted to keep Grom's weight low, close to original, so a big bore makes more sense.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a stock bore 125cc with 36T rear sprocket, intake, exhaust, cam, and ecu flash. I refuel every 90-100 miles, but I'm also wide open everywhere all the time. I can hit 76mph in a tight tuck. I assume a BBK would drastically reduce range but maybe not. You might not have to push it so hard.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Going to 181 cc and tuning it well, I lost maybe 5-10 mpg... amounting to a few bucks over the life of the bike. Nothing major.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to 181 cc and tuning it well, I lost maybe 5-10 mpg... amounting to a few bucks over the life of the bike. Nothing major.
Def more concerned about range than $ with this one. Like I said, I'd hate to be in a hurry or have to hit certain points in the city and have refueling on my mind every 100 km (60 miles).

What tuner did you get? did you have to go to a dyno place to tune it or did it yourself (not sure how it works, or what are the requirements as I've never tuned an engine before - still on my research list). What's your 181? Neo? Take?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I keep a gas mileage log. :)

Stock 125cc engine with aftermarket intake, exhaust, and ECU. Lightened to 203 pounds.

Winter averages ~125 mpg and Summer averages ~145+ mpg.

·
Registered
272 Posts
try here.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Def more concerned about range than $ with this one. Like I said, I'd hate to be in a hurry or have to hit certain points in the city and have refueling on my mind every 100 km (60 miles).

What tuner did you get? did you have to go to a dyno place to tune it or did it yourself (not sure how it works, or what are the requirements as I've never tuned an engine before - still on my research list). What's your 181? Neo? Take?
Tuned myself; fuel only, spark untouched (need a dyno for that... and it's not worth the effort). You'll still get 100+ miles freeway riding, 75 miles was my worst tank while the bike was running rich. NEO181 kit with GF porting on the head and intake manifold. 33mm throttle from a Honda StreetFire w/ throttle mounted injector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts