Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, Right. Specs from manufacturers found on the internet have never been inflated before :laughing4:
You mean like: buy this exhaust and get “up to 10-15% increase in power?”
No......manufacturers would have no reason to exaggerate their claims......NOT. LOL.
and I have some swamp land in the Mohave Desert to sell you.......

·
Registered
870 Posts
Oh, Right. Specs from manufacturers found on the internet have never been inflated before :laughing4:

Not Cam Specs......Never. And if they did they are true morons

any motor builder will tell you that....doesnt work that way.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Not Cam Specs......Never. And if they did they are true morons

any motor builder will tell you that....doesnt work that way.
The Koso specs say otherwise. Hell, Koso themselves can’t even figure out what the specs are with their own cam. The info they provide on their website isn’t even the same as what’s on the spec sheet in the box

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
that Kitaco Type 2 cam specs surprise me.... supposed to be an extra MM of lift over stock... but its only measured at .3mm extra lift?

That Tbolt cam... gdamn, i might have to buy one of those to replace my Kitaco Type 2 thats currently in the bike! Id be real curious how a kitaco type 1 is, considering the type 2 is so mild.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So which one is best for what?

TB cam by specs and by my butt dyno says its great for top end but terrible below 7-8000rpm

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So which one is best for what?

TB cam by specs and by my butt dyno says its great for top end but terrible below 7-8000rpm
It really depends on the bike it's going in and what you're looking for. Tell us a little bit more about your bike CSR, and maybe I can make a suggestion you can try?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What are the numbers for the OEM cam ? Never mind old eyes missed it in the sheet

·
Registered
98 Posts
It really depends on the bike it's going in and what you're looking for. Tell us a little bit more about your bike CSR, and maybe I can make a suggestion you can try?

Super 125 build. Bigger valve ported head, 12:1 piston, koso intake and throttle body

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Farkas was nice enough to sell me a TB cam for me to try. It definitely makes power up top (7-7.5k rpms and up) But man its a classic high lift, high duration lopey cam... I really didnt like the way my grom rode with it, felt like i lost quite a bit down low and rideability with my setup (not super high compression 164cc, DG header and stock exhaust) suffered quite a bit. Man she pulled in the upper RPMS but my exhaust and setup just isnt a high rpm setup at all. I gave it a weeks worth of riding to work for the finbro ecu to sort things out and it got better but I put the kitaco type 2 back in the other night and even without much time for the finbro ecu to fine tune I enjoy riding it much better, low speed riding, low and mid range power is back and top speed is the same if not better.

Now if i had a lil 125cc bore with high comp piston, bigger valved head, super free flowing exhaust, the TB cam would be a freaking hoot!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I was curious how this project was going?

I was on the Hard Racing website recently, and I was looking at their camshaft offerings. I did not fully understand some of the things they wrote about the camshafts they sell. For example, at least one of their cams is appropriate with a stock Grom engine, while with another — their website info seemed to push the need for an exhaust, fuel controller, etc. Another reference mentioned the need to adjust both engine timing (I understand) and valve timing (this I do not understand, as it seems to me that it either right or wrong with relation to the piston TDC). Trying to figure it out.

One parameter that might be useful for this chart: are the specific cams new or re-grinds?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the neo cam fits the stock head, does that mean the kitaco type 2 or tbparts cam would fit the neo head for even more top end? Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bump... List was updated with four new cams since last post

Yuminashi's, Dcr2pro, Yosh ST1M...

So far I have trialed Dcr2pro, Koso and Yosh ST1M... Imo the Dcr2 is well rounded with very good top end power..
With the Yosh being my runner up for all around improvement... Koso! Me Dont Like lol

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
For you Koso 170 4V owners:

Is there any other cam available for this setup, other than the one Koso provides stock?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Serious question. So who’s numbers do we trust? Yoshimura’s ST-1M numbers or the numbers on this chart? They are quite a bit different.

It’s hard for me to pick a cam, because everyone seems to describe the performance increases so differently. Not just the technical numbers, but the butt dyno stuff too. I guess other factors come into play, like what other mods the bike has.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts